The Student Room Group

Which is harder: A-levels or uni?

I've heard people say that A-levels are more work (obvs uni is more difficult content) and I was wondering if that was true to anyones experience
context: I do bio, chem and history at A-level and have applied for history at uni
No, uni is more content and more difficult content. This is especially true of intense courses at elite universities.
Original post by yogo1o
I've heard people say that A-levels are more work (obvs uni is more difficult content) and I was wondering if that was true to anyones experience
context: I do bio, chem and history at A-level and have applied for history at uni

Hi @yogo1o,

I suppose in A-Levels (or in college), deadlines are more frequent as timetables are a lot more rigid which may explain why some suggest that A-Levels are more work. Although work or prep may be more frequent, it is given in smaller, more manageable amounts. Whereas in university, you may only have a few big submissions throughout the semester per module, but you're also expected to do a lot of pre-reading before seminars or lectures.

Although university has more difficult content, there is also a lot of flexibility with how you manage your time. If you manage it effectively, with balancing time for yourself and for work then it should be manageable and make your university experience enjoyable. From my experience, I know biology and chemistry is a pretty intense A-Level course as it is, I'm sure you'll do just fine during your time in university.

Hope this helps,
Danish :smile:
BCU Student Rep
Reply 3
If a degree was 'easier' than A levels there wouldnt be much point in doing one would there?

The whole point about a degree is that it stretches your head, and teaches you how to debate, analyse, see the wider picture, think for yourself, and apply the knowledge/skills you have gained. A levels dont do this. That's the difference.
Depending on your A levels and degree choice then sometimes first year of a degree will feel like you’re going over the same content. That’s because degrees accept students with a broad range of background education and so first year will always make sure to cover the basics so everyone is on a fair footing before starting second year.

Even then the “repeated” content often adds a different perspective or depth as well as a step up in study skills (independent study, referencing, academic integrity, using more robust sources and not text books etc etc).
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
If a degree was 'easier' than A levels there wouldnt be much point in doing one would there?

The whole point about a degree is that it stretches your head, and teaches you how to debate, analyse, see the wider picture, think for yourself, and apply the knowledge/skills you have gained. A levels dont do this. That's the difference.

I didn't even consider that lmao, but it makes a lot of sense
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Depending on your A levels and degree choice then sometimes first year of a degree will feel like you’re going over the same content. That’s because degrees accept students with a broad range of background education and so first year will always make sure to cover the basics so everyone is on a fair footing before starting second year.

Even then the “repeated” content often adds a different perspective or depth as well as a step up in study skills (independent study, referencing, academic integrity, using more robust sources and not text books etc etc).

I can't imagine that will be the case for me so much bc I've applied for history and so I may well be studying periods I've never studied before! But at least (hopefully) it will be things I'm interested in
Reply 7
I agree with the fact that it depends on your uni and the course. Some of my mates haven't learned new content but we move at a very fast pace at mine. At five weeks in, A Level content genuinely feels like primary school work compared to what we're learning and how much we're expected to learn each week. It's a lot, to say the least. I can now cover chapters in an A Level textbook in a day or two when that used to take me 2 weeks.

But as with everything else in life, you'll learn to adapt. I would say that you should take first year as the learning year. Forget about grades and all that. Use it to perfect your study techniques, and build a strong understanding of the concepts you learn as they'll probably form the foundation for all future learning throughout your degree. The goal of first year is to 'learn how to learn'.
Original post by yogo1o

ngl I never understand people who say alevels are harder than a degree. I just doesnt make sense. University allows you to have more free time so perhaps thats why people say its easier? Other than that idk why else uni would be easier
Reply 9
Original post by yogo1o
I don't think ones harder than the other tbh. A-levels are the hardest exams that you do in secondary school no doubt but I think that it's just that you never had to sit exams with that much information before. Like in university (I do biomed) every one of my exams contains more information than all of a-level biology combined. For example my microbiology textbook was basically 1000 pgs long and we were being tested on all that information in 1 paper, and we had 4 different module exams in January so times that by 4 and that's the level of content that you cover from September to December. But at the same time I didn't feel as stressed for my uni exams as I did for my a-levels, so I think it just could be experience at sitting them type of exams. :dontknow: Additionally in uni unlike in a-levels (depending on what you do) it's not only based on that one exam, like you usually do coursework throughout the year and for my modules it was spilt 60:40 exam-coursework and your final degree is based on the work that you do through all the years combined (again not just 1 exam).
Side note: I did all the same a-levels as you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest