The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yes, it was to the right.

The difference between the T2 and a normal bacterial/prokaryote? i said no flagella/meosome...and something else

does anyone memba what they put for the first Q..i said wolf..teniere...and the last 1 was the one with the little black triagnular line going through it

I talked about glucoen being converted into glucose..gluconeogensis or something?
Reply 21
this paper waz so hrdd..nd i hv 2 get an A in biology
i drew it up than the mouse graph
Oh noooo, I put all that about glycogenisis too :frown:

I drew it above.

I thought it was better than some of the past papers, but still horrendous because I'm **** at Unifying concepts.
The differnce between the 2 rabbits:

one had lighter skin
one had different colour fur/eyes.
Reply 25
seaofbitterness
it was okay, better than past papers
was everyones graph at the end to the right of the one drawn?

Mine was to the left :s-smilie: ...
Reply 26
Very, very odd paper.
I thought the reasons for the data being collected wierdly were that one was a percentage, one wasn't...and they were different ages..

I was happy Type 2 Diabetes came up, but did anyone notice the fact that the long question didn't mention Type 2 only?
It would also have helped with Type 1 because there's no risk of allergy, it's cheaper, etc...so it's a pretty much universal cure.

The drugs didn't MAKE the receptors bind to insulin, in type 2 diabetes, the receptors change shape. The MHCP binds to the receptors, causing secretion of an enzyme which converts Glycogen to Glucose. This happens in fat store cells too - remember fat is a store of energy.

And no, the graph was to the left. This is because the naked mole thing lived underground, where there are lower partial pressures of O2. This means that at lower PP, the haemoglobin saturation would be higher.

The one with the deer affecting the gene pool was the fact that The one which changed the gene pool was the same genus as the other deer, meaning there was a chance it could produce fertile offspring. The other one was a completely different species and genus and so could not.
i think there was a question saying ' why does the isotope have to be radioactive'
what did u guys write?
Reply 28
seany_1214
Mine was to the left :s-smilie: ...

Me too :smile:
Reply 29
adrenaline1989
yes, it was to the right.

The difference between the T2 and a normal bacterial/prokaryote? i said no flagella/meosome...and something else

does anyone memba what they put for the first Q..i said wolf..teniere...and the last 1 was the one with the little black triagnular line going through it

I talked about glucoen being converted into glucose..gluconeogensis or something?

I put Lemming, Some kind of wolf i think...not sure...then a red squirrel.

Yeah glucose is converted to glycogen with insulin, not the other way round. This is called GLYCOGENOLYSIS.
Reply 30
uksangho2000
i think there was a question saying ' why does the isotope have to be radioactive'
what did u guys write?

So that it could be differentiated from other ones and so that it can be seen under analysis equipment.
Reply 31
jseldis
So that it could be differentiated from other ones and so that it can be seen under analysis equipment.

Yeah me too, also added that isotopes can occur naturally, so it's not just good enough to put normal isotopes in.

How about the place where phospate is located on a nucleotide....I put sugar-phosphate backbone, is that ok?

Edit: on second thoughts I'm sure that's wrong, I think the answer is joined to the Carbon 1 atom :frown:
Reply 32
jseldis
The drugs didn't MAKE the receptors bind to insulin, in type 2 diabetes, the receptors change shape. The MHCP binds to the receptors, causing secretion of an enzyme which converts Glycogen to Glucose. This happens in fat store cells too - remember fat is a store of energy.

But insulin causes glucose to be converted to glycogen, surely MHCP should have the same effect?
Reply 33
Yeah, I said that too, that it binds to the deoxyribose sugar
i wrote phosphate back bone
Reply 35
Ummm...i think it meant where it was attached to. I put Ribose (Hexose Sugar).

Actually i can't remember whether it's Hexose or Pentose...i'm sure i got it right though.
Reply 36
lol the whole 7 mark question about MHCP you weren't supposed to write about glucose to fat!! The test was on fat storage cells yes, but that in in vitro, and you were supposed to relate the fact that it activated THE RECEPTORS. Therefore you were supposed to write about how type 2 is when you produced insulin but the liver cells don't properly respond to it but if you inject MHCP after meals etc then the liver cell's receptors would function and glucose would be converted to glycogen. Also I wrote some advantages like its cheaper/easier than using a kidney dialysis machine etc etc. Converting all glucose to fats wouldn't be a very good thing!
Reply 37
jseldis
Ummm...i think it meant where it was attached to. I put Ribose (Hexose Sugar).

Actually i can't remember whether it's Hexose or Pentose...i'm sure i got it right though.

Ribose is a pentose. I also put just 'Ribose'
Reply 38
_bonnie
But insulin causes glucose to be converted to glycogen, surely MHCP should have the same effect?

Oh haha sorry, wrote it the wrong way round.
Reply 39
jseldis
Oh haha sorry, wrote it the wrong way round.

Haha its fine, just sent me into panic mode, so i was checking my books and everything! :biggrin:

Latest