The Student Room Group

Aqa A level PE

Anyone have any top tips for predicting questions for paper 1 tomorrow?
Reply 1
how did you find it?
hi want to do a level pe next year (with bio, chema nd maths) and i was wondering if it was going to be extremely content heavy compared to my other subjects. i'd appreciate any advice (:
Original post by anonymous.2003
hi want to do a level pe next year (with bio, chema nd maths) and i was wondering if it was going to be extremely content heavy compared to my other subjects. i'd appreciate any advice (:

Personally I think PE is a great subject to take!
PE isnt't very content heavy. If you flick through the spec you can see it isn't especially compared to Biology. You have to remember it is 30% coursework so there is less content so you have time to do coursework.
I take Biology and maths too and PE is my favourite. There is so much variety in the course which makes it interesitng but also makes it hard to be good at all three sections. There is also overlap with Biology which is good.

I would say though 4 a levels is a lot though? Unis only look at 3 alevels so it might be better to focus on 3?
Original post by milliebright990
Personally I think PE is a great subject to take!
PE isnt't very content heavy. If you flick through the spec you can see it isn't especially compared to Biology. You have to remember it is 30% coursework so there is less content so you have time to do coursework.
I take Biology and maths too and PE is my favourite. There is so much variety in the course which makes it interesitng but also makes it hard to be good at all three sections. There is also overlap with Biology which is good.

I would say though 4 a levels is a lot though? Unis only look at 3 alevels so it might be better to focus on 3?

thank you so much! do u think theres enough help online + resources for the coursework
and how do practical lessons work at ur sch or r u expected to practice ur sport outside of sch hours

the sixth form i want to go to wants everyone to take 4 and can drop one if they want to later on
thank you so much! do u think theres enough help online + resources for the coursework
and how do practical lessons work at ur sch or r u expected to practice ur sport outside of sch hours

the sixth form i want to go to wants everyone to take 4 and can drop one if they want to later on

ngl the online resources for aqa a level pe is so bad there is literally nothing. There is everlearner which my school has a subscription to but sometime I have found its not specific to aqa but it is good. Saying that I don't think you really need online resources - the concepts aren't too difficult to grasp and the textbook is enough. There is some good sets on quizlet too.

Resources for coursework is again very limited. I had a really good teacher who moderates coursework so she was able to give us lots of advice. There are some exampler work though. Don't worry about the coursework though it isn't difficult just very time consuming.

We didn't get any practical lessons - only the odd fun one for rounders or something. We all practiced our sports outside of school anyways.
ngl the online resources for aqa a level pe is so bad there is literally nothing. There is everlearner which my school has a subscription to but sometime I have found its not specific to aqa but it is good. Saying that I don't think you really need online resources - the concepts aren't too difficult to grasp and the textbook is enough. There is some good sets on quizlet too.

Resources for coursework is again very limited. I had a really good teacher who moderates coursework so she was able to give us lots of advice. There are some exampler work though. Don't worry about the coursework though it isn't difficult just very time consuming.

We didn't get any practical lessons - only the odd fun one for rounders or something. We all practiced our sports outside of school anyways.

thank you!!
im a bit concerned abt the coursework part because my current teacher didnt help us much + so even if i had a bad teacher i wouldnt be able to help myself
i think my sch is doing ocr have u seen any resources online for that?
how long did u practice and train outside of school? also what sport did u do? im gonna do badminton (:
Reply 7
Original post by jonel2011
how did you find it?

wasn’t as bad as i was expecting. 15/8 markers were quite nice as well as the 2/3/4 markers. praying it went well. what about you?
Reply 8
Original post by lucyroche
wasn’t as bad as i was expecting. 15/8 markers were quite nice as well as the 2/3/4 markers. praying it went well. what about you?

It was all really good for me but on 15 marker for A+P I didn't work out that VO2 max = cardiac output x AVO2 diff so I'm hoping that doesn't bomb my score for that. For the rest of the 15 markers they were really nice. The only short answer question that stumped me was the causes of negative transfer - for which I said lack of knowledge about possible transfer and training not being realistic
Original post by lucyroche

I completely blanked for the last 8 marker on professionals :frown:. I think the rest of it was okay. The 15 on Whitings and arousal threw me off a bit as I really didn't have much to say about Whitting's model and mainly wrote about selective attention and arousal. i thought the shorter questions were nice but couldn't think of a second reason for causes of negative transfer.
thank you!!
im a bit concerned abt the coursework part because my current teacher didnt help us much + so even if i had a bad teacher i wouldnt be able to help myself
i think my sch is doing ocr have u seen any resources online for that?
how long did u practice and train outside of school? also what sport did u do? im gonna do badminton (:

i don't know anything about ocr resources.
i did rowing and trained 18 hours a week for a club outside of school. Some people in my school didn't really train or compete at a high level but still amnaged to get decent marks anyway.
i don't know anything about ocr resources.
i did rowing and trained 18 hours a week for a club outside of school. Some people in my school didn't really train or compete at a high level but still amnaged to get decent marks anyway.

ohh woww i could never train for that long my highes is prob 10 hours. dyu think the grade boundaries for pe are relatively high compared to the work u have to put in
like for eg gcse bio: u only need like 75% for a 9 but theres more to learn so im wondering is a level pe like that asw
ohh woww i could never train for that long my highes is prob 10 hours. dyu think the grade boundaries for pe are relatively high compared to the work u have to put in
like for eg gcse bio: u only need like 75% for a 9 but theres more to learn so im wondering is a level pe like that asw

sorry i dont really understand what you are asking?
for ocr a level bio going off 2019 grade boundries an A is 58% and for aqa a level pe it is 61%. I think considering there is more content and in my opinion harder content in bio the grade boundires reflec this.
Reply 13
I completely blanked for the last 8 marker on professionals :frown:. I think the rest of it was okay. The 15 on Whitings and arousal threw me off a bit as I really didn't have much to say about Whitting's model and mainly wrote about selective attention and arousal. i thought the shorter questions were nice but couldn't think of a second reason for causes of negative transfer.

that’s true, that 8 marker on professionalism was rough
sorry i dont really understand what you are asking?
for ocr a level bio going off 2019 grade boundries an A is 58% and for aqa a level pe it is 61%. I think considering there is more content and in my opinion harder content in bio the grade boundires reflec this.

like what i meant was: do the grade boundaries seem to be kind of low because at gcse if i wannted to get a 9 then i would have to get 84% which is quite high but just wnated to make sure what it was like but uve answered my question. thank you so much!!!
like what i meant was: do the grade boundaries seem to be kind of low because at gcse if i wannted to get a 9 then i would have to get 84% which is quite high but just wnated to make sure what it was like but uve answered my question. thank you so much!!!

Ahh i see - you're welcome!!

Quick Reply

Latest