The Student Room Group

2 languages at GCSE- yay or nay? 😐

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nyxnko_
Maybe even longer if you want to have a career related to languages :dontknow:
Best of luck! :lovehug:

You're probably right lmao. :yes:
Thank you, it went quite well actually. I was surprised at how much relevance some grammar points have with French, I was looking at Spanish pronouns and although they were different, the order and rules were pretty much the same. :groovy: :dance: :cube:
Original post by Roses &amp
You're probably right lmao. :yes:
Thank you, it went quite well actually. I was surprised at how much relevance some grammar points have with French, I was looking at Spanish pronouns and although they were different, the order and rules were pretty much the same. :groovy: :dance: :cube:

Yeah, they're both latin based and are geographically close to each other so they're going to have a lot of similarities :thumbsup: Ofc, they're not exactly the same but they're similar enough at GCSE :smile:
Original post by Roses & Dreams
:yep: Yes I am passionate about languages.
I'm taking the opportunity in September. Today I started some lightweight revision properly. :rolleyes: Only a little bit though- tomorrow I'm going out with loads of friends (I know that I should have fun this summer, so I'm taking your advice).

Thanks for replying!:dance:

it's great you're thinking about it this soon! one step ahead of the game, I can already sense you're gonna do pretty well :tongue: just keep on top of vocab and throw in some unique stuff, maybe a lil a level vocab but don't go overboard or your teacher might think you had someone else do it for you lol. also grammer! idk about french and spanish but word order is horrrrible in german so just brush up before you go back in sept and it'll all go super smoothly!
Original post by nyxnko_
Yeah, they're both latin based and are geographically close to each other so they're going to have a lot of similarities :thumbsup: Ofc, they're not exactly the same but they're similar enough at GCSE :smile:

Whew, am I glad that there are some similarities at least. :adore:
Original post by mez_merising
it's great you're thinking about it this soon! one step ahead of the game, I can already sense you're gonna do pretty well :tongue: just keep on top of vocab and throw in some unique stuff, maybe a lil a level vocab but don't go overboard or your teacher might think you had someone else do it for you lol. also grammer! idk about french and spanish but word order is horrrrible in german so just brush up before you go back in sept and it'll all go super smoothly!

Thank you so much! :yep:
There's one thing I am delighted about and that is word order. For French, I spent months learning which pronoun goes where and if it's the indirect first... :blah: Word order so far looks to be pretty similar apart from a few things, so I've kinda got that out the way :dance: (I hope anyway lol).

I might look over some tenses tomorrow as I need to sort those out to get me anywhere in this GCSE. Vocab- I've decided to follow the advice that some people gave me and invest in a notebook, so that I can write down any words I don't know and later put them in Quizlet sets or flashcards. :groovy:
I also see what you mean about a few wow factors but not too many, I need to gradually build it up. :borat:
(edited 4 years ago)
I think doing 2 languages is probably a better choice, than doing history and geography.
I did history and geography and it wasn't until the last few months before the GCSEs, that I realised how immense the work load was.
I did Spanish at GCSE and loved it.
Wait are you talking about University? I know that you can take French by itself there but I thought you had to have 3 A levels at least?
I was on about my 3rd A level option- I have no clue what to take.

You just have to have 3 A levels. You can take French, English lit then anything else you are interested in/good at
Definitely! If you enjoy languages and are good at them (which it seems you are) then go for it :smile:

I did Chinese up until year 9 but was allowed to start French as well at GCSE and hopefully did ok (results day is in just over a week...)! The difficulty of a subject really depends on how much you like it and how hard you are willing to work, so you should be fine :smile:
Original post by DanielT11
I think doing 2 languages is probably a better choice, than doing history and geography.
I did history and geography and it wasn't until the last few months before the GCSEs, that I realised how immense the work load was.
I did Spanish at GCSE and loved it.

Thank you! :yep:

Original post by elenalelan
Definitely! If you enjoy languages and are good at them (which it seems you are) then go for it :smile:

I did Chinese up until year 9 but was allowed to start French as well at GCSE and hopefully did ok (results day is in just over a week...)! The difficulty of a subject really depends on how much you like it and how hard you are willing to work, so you should be fine :smile:

I'm willing to put lots of effort in. :dumbells:
Thank you and good luck for results day!
Original post by Oxford Mum
You just have to have 3 A levels. You can take French, English lit then anything else you are interested in/good at

That's the thing, the only other subject I'm interested in and good at is Biology but there's no point in taking a science if it's not with subjects that match it (e.g: chemistry).

I could consider Spanish but I'll have to see how that goes and even if I do well, what's the point in taking it for an A level if I only want to study French at uni atm?
I think you should do both and just go for it. I wish i took both languages and really regret it. If you love them do it
Original post by Boomer24
I think you should do both and just go for it. I wish i took both languages and really regret it. If you love them do it

:yep: Thank you, I'm going to accept in September.
Hey. You seem to have such a passion for languages. I do French at A level but would have also done Spanish of it was offered at my school. I would suggest doing both as they are both similar but different enough so you won’t confuse them. If you decide to do languages at A level, I think it would be very tough without the GCSE. I’m so gutted to have not been given the opportunity so I’d seize it. For revision, languages are fairly straightforward at GCSE and you can do 30 mins each day. However, maybe seek advice from your teacher. Remember that even if don’t do the GCSE, you could take it up at uni. Hope you make right choice. See what’s going to work best now and in the future . X
Original post by emegan02
Hey. You seem to have such a passion for languages. I do French at A level but would have also done Spanish of it was offered at my school. I would suggest doing both as they are both similar but different enough so you won’t confuse them. If you decide to do languages at A level, I think it would be very tough without the GCSE. I’m so gutted to have not been given the opportunity so I’d seize it. For revision, languages are fairly straightforward at GCSE and you can do 30 mins each day. However, maybe seek advice from your teacher. Remember that even if don’t do the GCSE, you could take it up at uni. Hope you make right choice. See what’s going to work best now and in the future . X

Hello :hi:
Thank you for the reply. I absolutely love langauges and come September, I will take the opportunity. I would like to pursue French at A level and Spanish, we'll have to see. I've started some grammar and so far, they're not too different. :adore:
Hello :hi:
Thank you for the reply. I absolutely love langauges and come September, I will take the opportunity. I would like to pursue French at A level and Spanish, we'll have to see. I've started some grammar and so far, they're not too different. :adore:

All the more reason to choose something different for your third subject;-) You mentioned you love Biology. Why not that?
Original post by Klotild
All the more reason to choose something different for your third subject;-) You mentioned you love Biology. Why not that?

Do you mean for A levels?
I would choose Biology, but shouldn't it be with similar subjects (i.e: chemistry). I do really enjoy Biology, but if I want to pursue French at university then shouldn't it be with subjects that are related in some way?

Idk why I'm thinking about this lol I'm only in Year 10. :dontknow:
Do you mean for A levels?
I would choose Biology, but shouldn't it be with similar subjects (i.e: chemistry). I do really enjoy Biology, but if I want to pursue French at university then shouldn't it be with subjects that are related in some way?

Idk why I'm thinking about this lol I'm only in Year 10. :dontknow:

Yes, A levels.
I believe balance is healthier than a one sided choice. (My son did 3 Sciences and one Humanity, and it also allowed for a totally new choice of direction mid-6th Form:-)
That's true.:yep: It'll give me a break from writing essays everyday and I also enjoy Biology, so it could be a good choice.
Thank you for your help- I'll definitely consider it.

Original post by Klotild
Yes, A levels.
I believe balance is healthier than a one sided choice. (My son did 3 Sciences and one Humanity, and it also allowed for a totally new choice of direction mid-6th Form:-)
DO IT! :smile:I did 3 language GCSEs last year and loved it! I had already been learning French and Italian for a few years and decided to start Spanish in year 10 as a fast course. I always liked languages but never LOVED them - however the experience of learning a brand new language in only 2 years was exciting and so satisfying - Spanish soon became one of my favourite subjects! I am SO glad I did Spanish. If you're good at languages, like them, and want to continue with them throughout your life, studying 2 seems like a no-brainer to me! I see that you're worried about the hard work, but since you're at a good level with French it seems you won't have too much trouble with Spanish. As language GCSEs go, it's probably one of the easier ones. Just make sure you work hard and put in the effort to learn vocab and verbs from day one. If you stay on top of vocab and grammar throughout the course, you won't be stressed when it comes to exams. Quizlet is your friend - add new vocab to a set as soon as you see it, and practise little and often. Good luck!
hi, i see its been two years since this was posted lol.
today, i seemed to have found myself in the same position aaah!
how did spanish and french gcse go?
was it worth taking spanish and french gcse?
Original post by username4745258
Hello,
I'll keep this short, but I would just like some advice about studying both French and Spanish. I love languages with a passion and am willing to work hard, but I need to see if the decision is right or not before I commit to anything. I already study French and have been given the opportunity to study Spanish on top (long story) but it is a language that I didn't really pay attention to in primary... 😓🤤

[scrollr]Woops. 🤗[/scrollr]
Well, I said this wouldn't be a long post but perhaps I lied... Anyway any advice on whether I should take Spanish or not is much appreciated, and if anybody has any revision or study tips then I would love to hear from them.

Advantages:
Love languages (already mentioned)
Willing to work hard (already mentioned)
Looks good on CV
Want to pursue languages further and potentially have a career associated with them
Pushes me further (I am working at a good grade in French which is why I have been given this incredible chance)
Looks interesting so far.

Disadvantages:
Could mix up both languages (biggest one for me)
Time consuming so other subjects such as triple science may lack.
Have to start from scratch.
Increases exams- more stress.

Worst case scenario- I start learning Spanish, don't do it properly, procrastinate and both languages go down the toilet. Meaning that my French will say au revoir and leave me forever.

Thank you! (If anyone replies?) 😂

Hi, sorry, I know this is much later, but if anyone else was looking for advice on this, I thought this might be helpful.

I would definitely say go for it. I did both French and Spanish at GCSE, and got 9s in both (they were my best subjects).
Also, for GCSE, in general, languages are really easy subjects to get 9s in if you like them and find them interesting; all you really need to do is learn vocab. I know some people worry about mixing them up, but although I used to struggle with this, I never find it a problem now, as I just think about how the languages are different to each other - different style of words if that makes sense.

I would definitely say do both! It's not hard to do well, and people are really impressed by two languages at GCSE!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending