The Student Room Group

I'm a Phlebotomist, AMA!

I've been working as a phlebotomist for almost two months.

Ask me anything about the job role and anything you've always wondered about phlebotomy. :smile:
I will not answer questions specific to where I work or anything that could infringe on confidentiality.

@shadowdweller
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For anyone unaware... What even is a phlebotomist? :holmes:
How did you get training for this position?
What band are you?
What are the most challenging aspects of the role?
Original post by 8472
For anyone unaware... What even is a phlebotomist? :holmes:

A phlebotomist is someone who takes blood samples from patients. They are part of the clinical diagnostics team. :smile:
You're trained on the job over 2-3 months and it's band 2. The most challenging aspect of the role is taking bloods from people with small and difficult veins. People on wards are often very sick and dehydrated so their veins almost disappear. It's easy to get stressed and frustrated with yourself when you repeatedly struggle to get bloods, but you get good and bad days. Even someone with great, thick, healthy veins can be difficult, whilst someone with seemingly difficult ones can be an easy bleed.

I'm based in wards, outpatient departments and GP surgeries.
What happened? :lol:
Original post by -Eirlys-
You're trained on the job over 2-3 months and it's band 2. The most challenging aspect of the role is taking bloods from people with small and difficult veins. People on wards are often very sick and dehydrated so their veins almost disappear. It's easy to get stressed and frustrated with yourself when you repeatedly struggle to get bloods, but you get good and bad days. Even someone with great, thick, healthy veins can be difficult, whilst someone with seemingly difficult ones can be an easy bleed.

I'm based in wards, outpatient departments and GP surgeries.
What happened? :lol:

I’d love to be a phlebotomist; how do you handle patients with dementia though?
Go for it! :biggrin: There is a high demand for them.

I already have experience of working with people who have dementia, but I have taken bloods from patients who are a little confused. So far, it has been a fairly straight forward process and many of them are so used to having bloods taken that they barely even notice. We have to ID check every patient so we do try to get some information from them, which some are still able to do, but if not, we use their hospital bracelet to identify them. If a patient showed any signs that they didn't want their bloods taken, we wouldn't take their bloods and inform a doctor/nurse.
Go for it! :biggrin: There is a high demand for them.

I already have experience of working with people who have dementia, but I have taken bloods from patients who are a little confused. So far, it has been a fairly straight forward process and many of them are so used to having bloods taken that they barely even notice. We have to ID check every patient so we do try to get some information from them, which some are still able to do, but if not, we use their hospital bracelet to identify them. If a patient showed any signs that they didn't want their bloods taken, we wouldn't take their bloods and inform a doctor/nurse.

I can’t because I’m studying full time and it would be difficult for me to commit to a permanent position as it stands at the moment; I rarely see jobs advertised in either my hometown hospital or my university hospital. I will keep an eye out though as I’d love to develop blood taking skills
In my time of working where I am, they have missed one ward by accident. Trying to cover a hospital with like 20+ wards and a similar number of GP surgeries, as well as keeping up with the outpatients, it's easy for somewhere to be missed. Although we're a big team, they are understaffed and phlebotomists will try to squeeze in up to 3 wards in a 4 hour shift! My managers do a good job of spreading everyone out and making sure wards are done every day and on time. :smile: We are trying our best! Do you contact the phlebotomy department if a day is missed? It shouldn't happen regularly.

They should try taking bloods twice before giving up, but there have been times where I've tried once and I just know that a second attempt would be in vain because they're so difficult and sometimes someone more experienced or another eye would be in the best interest for the patient. Doctors and nurses are there for longer shifts usually, so it makes sense to pass it onto them so that we can continue bleeding the rest of the patients, otherwise they'll be left with even more forms because the phlebotomists couldn't get around the ward in time!
Nice thread
So it's an arranged day they miss, they're not just ignoring your ward? :lol: That must be really annoying and hopefully they can get more staff so that all days of the week can be covered.
There's sometimes a clash between phlebotomists and doctors, but most of the doctors and nurses are nice and understanding. As you say, we're on the same side and we're all working towards the same thing. Genuinely though, everyone I work with work really hard. There isn't any standing around chatting or taking your time, they do their best to keep on top of their tasks. Near the end of their shift, there's a mad rush around wards trying to get them finished. And I know that as a phlebotomist myself, we hate failures! We wish we could bleed every patient and not have to pass it onto doctors/nurses, but that's part of the job.
I don't know if the same system works in yours, but if the morning phlebotomists can't bleed someone, it's passed onto the afternoon ones and that usually leads to a patient being drawn without the need of a doctor or nurse. :smile:
Reply 11
I've been working as an NHS phlebotomist for almost two months.

Ask me anything about the job role and anything you've always wondered about phlebotomy. :smile:

I will not answer questions specific to where I work or anything that could infringe on confidentiality.

throwback to when i was on GP work experience and they kept saying the "phlebot" was coming in and I thought they were saying "flea bot"... like a flea robot or something...

Asked what a flea bot was and looked like an idiot.
How much do phlebotomists earn?
Original post by mpcwa
throwback to when i was on GP work experience and they kept saying the "phlebot" was coming in and I thought they were saying "flea bot"... like a flea robot or something...

Asked what a flea bot was and looked like an idiot.

:lol: We're usually called 'phlebs' or vampires where I work, not 'phlebots'. That's pretty funny though - I'd probably ask the same thing. :lol:
Original post by German123
How much do phlebotomists earn?

Annually it's £17-19k, depending on experience. I'm not sure but I think next year it's going up to a starting point of £18k up to a max of £19.3k which is following Band 2 AFC.
(edited 4 years ago)
They only take bloods in the mornings? :O
Yeah, most phlebs work in the mornings and finish midday, but full time phlebs work until 5pm and occasionally weekends. They go around the wards picking up any added forms by doctors and any that couldn't be taken in the morning. There is a couple afternoon GP clinics too for phlebotomy.
@-Eirlys- what are the best and worst parts of your job?

What advice would you give to someone looking to get into phlebotomy?
how do you feel about people who are scared of needles :redface: was crying and hyperventilating, my mum was laughing and filming me :lol:
How do you take blood from patients who are deathly afraid of needles?
How do you handle people who are terrified of needles? Are the needles really that scary?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending