The Student Room Group

Engineering jobs in London

I'm in Yr13 (A2), looking at university courses in mechanical engineering (And possibly chemical eng). I'm interested in possibly going into the automotive industry, but not really sure so would like to keep my options open.

However, I do live in London, which isn't a very "industrial area", so I'm worried about not finding engineering jobs in London/ North London as I do plan on staying in London. I haven't found many graduate jobs online that are near where I live (Appart from one I found with GSK in Ware).

Or would it be more advisable to go for economics/ finance (Which I also enjoy reading up on in my spare time), and look towards going into financial services - as doing engineering going into finance could be seen as a waste.

Many thanks
Original post by zootzoot
I'm in Yr13 (A2), looking at university courses in mechanical engineering (And possibly chemical eng). I'm interested in possibly going into the automotive industry, but not really sure so would like to keep my options open.

However, I do live in London, which isn't a very "industrial area", so I'm worried about not finding engineering jobs in London/ North London as I do plan on staying in London. I haven't found many graduate jobs online that are near where I live (Appart from one I found with GSK in Ware).

Or would it be more advisable to go for economics/ finance (Which I also enjoy reading up on in my spare time), and look towards going into financial services - as doing engineering going into finance could be seen as a waste.

Many thanks

There are a lot of engineering jobs in and around London, although perhaps not many in automotive. For example, industries like oil & gas, petrochemicals, construction, marine and energy are quite well represented in that area.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
There are a lot of engineering jobs in and around London, although perhaps not many in automotive. For example, industries like oil & gas, petrochemicals, construction, marine and energy are quite well represented in that area.

Oh okay thanks
Reply 3
I’d recommend taking a look at gradcracker.com
You wouldn't be struggling to find vacancies to apply to, but not being geographically mobile will definitely hurt your chances of landing a graduate engineering job. Typically there would be hundreds of suitably qualified applicants per position (and only around 30-40% of engineering grads end up working in engineering) so it is increasingly competitive. Not being able to relocate is one of a few recurring factors in unemployed/underemployed engineering graduates.
Reply 5
Original post by swelshie
You wouldn't be struggling to find vacancies to apply to, but not being geographically mobile will definitely hurt your chances of landing a graduate engineering job. Typically there would be hundreds of suitably qualified applicants per position (and only around 30-40% of engineering grads end up working in engineering) so it is increasingly competitive. Not being able to relocate is one of a few recurring factors in unemployed/underemployed engineering graduates.

Okay thank you

Quick Reply

Latest