The Student Room Group

I'm considering trying to become a MP, is a Politics course worth it?

Hi I'm still undecided of what I would like to do after college, I'm currently studying Creative Media Level 3 at College, but I don't know what I want to do, but I would secretly like to become an MP, but I'm still not sure, but too scared to tell people. The issue is, I've looked at the Politics courses, but it sounds like there's a lot of history to them, which I'm not as interested in. The main things that I would want to campaign for are tougher laws, better environment and I would also like to aim for a stronger economy. This doesn't fit into a specific political party, but I'm also interested in Journalism as well, so I'm just wondering if studying politics is really worth it anyway because the members of the political party elect whoever campaigns the best don't they? Correct me if I'm wrong. I might gain more knowledge, but I can gain this online. I don't know if I should take journalism instead in case I'm not good enough to be an MP or just get a job and do campaigning and not go to university?
Reply 1
you don't even need a degree to be an MP, so if a politics degree doesn't appeal to you go for Journalism. or have you thought about studying law? :holmes:
Reply 2
Original post by Adam Paterson
Hi I'm still undecided of what I would like to do after college, I'm currently studying Creative Media Level 3 at College, but I don't know what I want to do, but I would secretly like to become an MP, but I'm still not sure, but too scared to tell people. The issue is, I've looked at the Politics courses, but it sounds like there's a lot of history to them, which I'm not as interested in. The main things that I would want to campaign for are tougher laws, better environment and I would also like to aim for a stronger economy. This doesn't fit into a specific political party, but I'm also interested in Journalism as well, so I'm just wondering if studying politics is really worth it anyway because the members of the political party elect whoever campaigns the best don't they? Correct me if I'm wrong. I might gain more knowledge, but I can gain this online. I don't know if I should take journalism instead in case I'm not good enough to be an MP or just get a job and do campaigning and not go to university?

There are an awful lot of way into becoming an MP and really politics at uni is not the main one (except perhaps PPE at Oxford).

You do however really need to get very active in your local political scene which means you are going to need to pick a party (your policies sound conservative to me). You can be elected as a councillor at 18, and that's one very common route through to MP.

I'm afraid there are more politicians in this country than there are political journalists so that's not really a plan B. But equally, there are plenty of politicians who started as journalists so it's not an inappropriate starting point.
Original post by Joleee
you don't even need a degree to be an MP, so if a politics degree doesn't appeal to you go for Journalism. or have you thought about studying law? :holmes:

Yes I think journalism is probably better because I'm interested in reporting and news too.
Reply 4
I’ve got my eye on getting into the Commons too.
Original post by satsun
I’ve got my eye on getting into the Commons too.

Oh that's nice, what's your plan to getting there?
Reply 6
Oh that's nice, what's your plan to getting there?

I don’t want to sound too much of a ‘career politician’, but I look after uni to get a research job in Parliament, make connections, campaign and make the short list.
Original post by satsun
I don’t want to sound too much of a ‘career politician’, but I look after uni to get a research job in Parliament, make connections, campaign and make the short list.

Yes very similar, however, I would like to campaign and do some good for the country.
Reply 8
Yes very similar, however, I would like to campaign and do some good for the country.

Oh yes, I agree, I wouldn’t just be in it for the money (considering they aren’t that well paid), I’d want to be a force for change too!
Not sure I'd recommend a Journalism degree. Most degrees look at the history of journalism or the representation of gender etc in the media. Most journalists don't actually do a journalism degree; they do practically anything else and then train to be a journalist.

I just don't think that a journalism degree is worth the money or time... :frown:
The idea of someone thinking they should be an MP whilst still at school sends chills down my spine
Original post by satsun
Oh yes, I agree, I wouldn’t just be in it for the money (considering they aren’t that well paid), I’d want to be a force for change too!

Yes I'm not bothered about money as long as I get enough to live off, but I would mainly like to campaign and be successful with positive changes.
Also looking into getting into politics in the future and hopefully in the Commons

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending