The Student Room Group

Politics degree then Law GDL

Thinking about what to do for Uni currently. I really love politics and want to study it further, but after doing work experience at a law firm, I really want to pursue a career in law. I also have a large love for Law. So I was thinking of doing a Politics degree then move on to do a Law GDL. Is Politics a good degree? And will help me get into good Law schools to do a GDL. I'm currently thinking on applying to Birmingham, QMUL and Southampton currently and doing A Levels in Politics, History and English Lit.
Tbh you could probably become a politician off of a law degree or do a conversion course
Reply 2
Original post by LG as you were x
Tbh you could probably become a politician off of a law degree or do a conversion course

I'm not particularly interested in becoming a politician I just find the subject fascinating. I was thinking of LLB but I'm more interested in doing a conversion course.
Original post by Alexty28
Thinking about what to do for Uni currently. I really love politics and want to study it further, but after doing work experience at a law firm, I really want to pursue a career in law. I also have a large love for Law. So I was thinking of doing a Politics degree then move on to do a Law GDL. Is Politics a good degree? And will help me get into good Law schools to do a GDL. I'm currently thinking on applying to Birmingham, QMUL and Southampton currently and doing A Levels in Politics, History and English Lit.

Its ok. I wouldnt worry except for how you will pay for your GDL. Its essentially the same course everywhere.
Don’t do a politics degree if you don’t want to do something in politics
May I ask why you don’t you want to go straight into the LLB? I’m in the last year of mine and have loved every second of it.
Reply 6
Original post by euphrosyne
May I ask why you don’t you want to go straight into the LLB? I’m in the last year of mine and have loved every second of it.

Multiple reasons really.

1) Despite atm my A Level predicted grades are A,A,A. My GCSEs aren't the best so I'm not really sure if I have a good shot at Law at a good uni.

2) My aunt works in law and recommended me to do the GDL as she said some firms like people who do GDLs because it shows that they try hard to strive for more.

3) I really enjoy studying politics but I'm not really interested in career in Politics. I really enjoy the work experience I did at the law firm, so I thought doing the conversion course would be best for me.
Reply 7
Original post by Alexty28
What did you end up doing?? 6 years later but... it's worth a shot haha. I'm in the same boat.
Study a degree subject which interests you and in which you can do well. Then, if that degree subject is not law, do the GDL.

I studied history, did the GDL, and became a barrister.

The suggestion above that a politics degree is only for wannabe politicians can safely be disregarded. Politics is an interesting subject, and worthy of study, regardless of what you wish to do afterwards.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 9
@mahssa123
Having visited many law firms myself, they all have no preference over whether you do law or something else for undergrad, at least for the city commercial solicitor firms. If you like politics then definitely do that. If you enjoy something it's much easier to dedicate your time to it and get better grades, alongside the fact that the politics courses at most universities are generally slightly easier than the law courses. Therefore, you have a higher chance of getting even stronger grades while also having more free time. Definitely look into dual degrees too. QMUL does a Politics and Law degree which you could consider. I do Law and Anthropology at LSE which has some politics aspects in it. Although make sure that any dual law degrees you apply to are 'qualifying law degrees'. This means they contain the necessary law components for you to go straight onto being a lawyer without having to do a conversion course.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending