The Student Room Group

Stick at LSE or clearing

I currently have an offer for Politics and Economics at LSE which I will hopefully meet. However in the last few months I have become more and more fixed on a career as an actuary, which requires any degree with a high amount of quantitative content (which I’m not sure mine has).
I’m thinking of going for a STEM course at my local uni QUB (if there are any) such as engineering, which will also provide me with some options, or actuarial science.

Is it worth trading LSE for QUB for a STEM course or does my current degree offer good job opportunities outside London?
Original post by jlocordner332
I currently have an offer for Politics and Economics at LSE which I will hopefully meet. However in the last few months I have become more and more fixed on a career as an actuary, which requires any degree with a high amount of quantitative content (which I’m not sure mine has).
I’m thinking of going for a STEM course at my local uni QUB (if there are any) such as engineering, which will also provide me with some options, or actuarial science.

Is it worth trading LSE for QUB for a STEM course or does my current degree offer good job opportunities outside London?

What makes you think that the "any degree with a high amount of quantitative content" requirement would not be met by Politics and Economics at LSE? I note that it contains both "Quantitative Methods (Mathematics)" and "Quantitative Methods (Statistics)" modules, for example.

If you did opt to change tack and go for an engineering or actuarial science degree instead, is there a particular reason you'd specifically opt to do to at your local university? Did you originally apply for any of their Economics courses? Or is there some other reason you're thinking of staying local?
If you know you want to be an actuary then I would say it’s worth contacting some universities about clearing vacancies on actuary courses (I would say go for actuary accredited courses that will give you professional exemptions).

It doesn’t sound like your degree at LSE will get you where you want to go.

You can always contact LSE and explain the situation and ask if they’ll agree to let you switch. The answer is likely to be no but it’s worth asking (after you have offers from elsewhere that you would like to accept in cleaing) before you use decline my place to put yourself formally into clearing
Original post by DataVenia
What makes you think that the "any degree with a high amount of quantitative content" requirement would not be met by Politics and Economics at LSE? I note that it contains both "Quantitative Methods (Mathematics)" and "Quantitative Methods (Statistics)" modules, for example.

If you did opt to change tack and go for an engineering or actuarial science degree instead, is there a particular reason you'd specifically opt to do to at your local university? Did you originally apply for any of their Economics courses? Or is there some other reason you're thinking of staying local?

I’ve been told by many on here (note the other reply) that my course doesn’t and the academic in charge of QUB’s Actuarial Science MSc was ambiguous over whether that’s the case.
As for why I would go to Queen’s I would much rather stay local if I were studying any course. I only accepted the offer for LSE as I know regardless of whatever course it is the university offers great opportunities when it comes to careers. Although now given my intention to go into the actuarial field I’m not too sure.
Original post by PQ
If you know you want to be an actuary then I would say it’s worth contacting some universities about clearing vacancies on actuary courses (I would say go for actuary accredited courses that will give you professional exemptions).

You can always contact LSE and explain the situation and ask if they’ll agree to let you switch. The answer is likely to be no but it’s worth asking (after you have offers from elsewhere that you would like to accept in cleaing) before you use decline my place to put yourself formally into clearing

Just checked Queen’s clearing vacancies for NI students and there are no places in the Actuarial Science course for NI fee status. Although there are places in the MEng Chemical Engineering course (which was the other QUB course I was looking at), I’m not sure it’s worth giving up LSE (and the possibility of changing a course there) for.
I have contacted LSE is the past few days about changing course and they basically said you can’t until after you’ve enrolled, and after then they say a place on a more quantitative course isn’t guaranteed which is what you would expect them to say
Original post by PQ

With the way things have went the last few days it looks like I’m going to LSE.
Other than switching course, would there be anyway to see whether my current course allows an entry to an actuarial careers path through the selection of certain modules in second and third year? (Perhaps the careers office)
Barring that, in a worst case scenario how hard would it be to drop out and submit another UCAS application for the upcoming admissions cycle (within the first 1-2 months of enrolment)?
Bump
Reply 7
Bump

What if you go to LSE and then afterwards pursue a masters in something more quantitative? Would that work, or
Original post by JVorJrose
What if you go to LSE and then afterwards pursue a masters in something more quantitative? Would that work, or

Could do. I know for sure I could pursue a Masters in pure Econ, as for Actuarial Science, while it's not impossible I wouldn't say it's likely (the A* at A level Maths could help me in regards to applying to this masters at a uni like QUB)
With no guarantee that I'd get into a AS masters, and no guarantee an economics MSc could lead to an actuarial career, there wouldn't be any certainty in going down that route. But with the alternatives that degree provides (like becoming an economist) I suppose the gamble isn't that bad of an option. The only thing putting me off in that case would be the higher tuition fees, although many people have told me that shouldn't be a factor in deciding whether to go to GB or not.
Reply 9
Could do. I know for sure I could pursue a Masters in pure Econ, as for Actuarial Science, while it's not impossible I wouldn't say it's likely (the A* at A level Maths could help me in regards to applying to this masters at a uni like QUB)
With no guarantee that I'd get into a AS masters, and no guarantee an economics MSc could lead to an actuarial career, there wouldn't be any certainty in going down that route. But with the alternatives that degree provides (like becoming an economist) I suppose the gamble isn't that bad of an option. The only thing putting me off in that case would be the higher tuition fees, although many people have told me that shouldn't be a factor in deciding whether to go to GB or not.

Very fair points you raised there man, hm. Yeah about tuition fees becoming higher, I think, it would still bound to be higher because I think to become an actuary or a quant a masters, minimum, would probably be needed (for quant then PhD). These would ideally be in stem subjects so chem eng at QUB would be good in that aspect, but then again LSE is a target school. Perhaps you could consider other professions such as becoming an Investment Banker, or perhaps private equity, which a degree in politics and economics from LSE can definitely get you into. Although the working hours are very long in those professions, part of the reason why they pay so highly. So if not, then you could also go to QUB and smash out job experience/networking in first year; as you already know, actuarial work involves a lot of maths. I say this because, even a straight BSc economics degree at LSE may not even be sufficient in terms of its mathematical elements, um, not to talk of an econ and politics one, or even doing an MSc economics; but that's my take on it this fr is an interesting one still

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending