The Student Room Group

any old essays to spare?-would be greatly appreciated.

does anyone here have any old higher/ int2/adv higher history or english essays they could give me?
if it's against exam board rules or whatever, that's fine. also, only give me them if you have them saved to file on your computer, don't bother to type any up for me (not that i'd expect you'd want to on your holiday).

i just want to get as much work as i can saved to file before school, so that i have plenty of resources to use for essay inspiration/whatever else.

would be a huge favour if you could post some.

also, does that coursework info site have anything relevant to scottish qualifiications?

Reply 1
here's one from me. it's just a practice essay i did before the Higher English exam, back in May. My teacher said it was 'first rate' and 'without fault', so it could be a fair exemplar of an 'A' grade essay.

and, remember: passing other people's stuff off as your own work is ultimately detrimental - please, don't do it.
boysenberry
here's one from me. it's just a practice essay i did before the Higher English exam, back in May. My teacher said it was 'first rate' and 'without fault', so it could be a fair exemplar of an 'A' grade essay.

and, remember: passing other people's stuff off as your own work is ultimately detrimental - please, don't do it.

Good essay, i did the horses too :smile:

One thing to remember though OP, is that there's not really much point (practice wise) ever writing an essay on the computer because you are expected to produce an essay like that in 45 minutes (well if you want good marks :P) so there is little time for proof-reading and the like. My essays were always hasty scrawls XD (still good good marks though)
Reply 3
Meteorshower
Good essay, i did the horses too :smile:

One thing to remember though OP, is that there's not really much point (practice wise) ever writing an essay on the computer because you are expected to produce an essay like that in 45 minutes (well if you want good marks :P) so there is little time for proof-reading and the like. My essays were always hasty scrawls XD (still good good marks though)

Thanks, meteor! Yeah, I know - this essay was just to reinforce the main points of the poem, and to see how it could come together in the exam. A 3, 4 hour job, there.
boysenberry
Thanks, meteor! Yeah, I know - this essay was just to reinforce the main points of the poem, and to see how it could come together in the exam. A 3, 4 hour job, there.

Yeah it's a good example for those reasons :smile: Just not the kind of thing you want to be doing after the first 4 or so months of the course in case OP didn't know
Reply 5
Meteorshower
Yeah it's a good example for those reasons :smile: Just not the kind of thing you want to be doing after the first 4 or so months of the course in case OP didn't know

Ha, I did it in the week before the exam! I really couldn't be bothered wearing my hand out writing actual exam essays for a whole week (might've done 2 or 3) so the computer was my tool to write out 'proper' essays. And, we weren't doing essay practice in class, so, hey.
boysenberry
Ha, I did it in the week before the exam! I really couldn't be bothered wearing my hand out writing actual exam essays for a whole week (might've done 2 or 3) so the computer was my tool to write out 'proper' essays. And, we weren't doing essay practice in class, so, hey.

Different strokes for different strokes XD Personally i wouldn't reccomend something like that but whatever works :p:

I didn't actually do any essays without being forced to do them by my teacher so i'm not realy one to talk :s-smilie: My self-discipline didn't seem to exist with english :p:
Here's a fantastically boring history one :smile:

Assess the view that Stalin's policies in Eastern Europe in the period from 1944 to 1948 were mainly a response to the suffering of the Soviet Union in the Second World War.

I did it in under an hour, so it's quite short.
Reply 8
Meteorshower
Different strokes for different strokes XD Personally i wouldn't reccomend something like that but whatever works :p:

I didn't actually do any essays without being forced to do them by my teacher so i'm not realy one to talk :s-smilie: My self-discipline didn't seem to exist with english :p:

I'm just one of those compulsive studiers, a couple of weeks before those exams! I think my self-discipline evaporated when it came to French. Just a bit too easy for its own good. Oh, I'm actually feeling some fond remembrance of it - wouldn't mind giving it a bash at AH, actually.
boysenberry
I'm just one of those compulsive studiers, a couple of weeks before those exams! I think my self-discipline evaporated when it came to French. Just a bit too easy for its own good. Oh, I'm actually feeling some fond remembrance of it - wouldn't mind giving it a bash at AH, actually.

Yeah i'm fine with everything else, i did tonnes of maths/chemistry/physics etc before the exams yet those are the ones i found much easier XD I just tend to revise the subjects i like most :p:
Meteorshower
Yeah i'm fine with everything else, i did tonnes of maths/chemistry/physics etc before the exams yet those are the ones i found much easier XD I just tend to revise the subjects i like most :p:

I kind of just forgot about physics and chemistry till a week before, and did a little for maths as I knew it would be a nice, fairly simple exam - thankfully it was!

Ahhh, I did far more for English than the others, I surely hope that I got my 'A'...
boysenberry
I kind of just forgot about physics and chemistry till a week before, and did a little for maths as I knew it would be a nice, fairly simple exam - thankfully it was!

Ahhh, I did far more for English than the others, I surely hope that I got my 'A'...

See i was thinking the same for maths but instead of thinking "hmm, maybe should do a bit more of the stuff i find hard" i was like "haha maths is really easy, better do another 20 past papers!" and then wondering why i was so much better at maths than everything else XD
Meteorshower
See i was thinking the same for maths but instead of thinking "hmm, maybe should do a bit more of the stuff i find hard" i was like "haha maths is really easy, better do another 20 past papers!" and then wondering why i was so much better at maths than everything else XD

Yeah, there was a bunch of hard questions at the end of my workbook, but I just left them - and like you - resorted to re-doing past papers, by the end of the course the answer booklet was no longer needed, ha! I actually felt quite sorry for the swathes who came out sobbing after paper 2, after a piss-easy paper 1 - and a bit worse when I had no hard questions to report, staying shtum was the policy, that day.
boysenberry
Yeah, there was a bunch of hard questions at the end of my workbook, but I just left them - and like you - resorted to re-doing past papers, by the end of the course the answer booklet was no longer needed, ha! I actually felt quite sorry for the swathes who came out sobbing after paper 2, after a piss-easy paper 1 - and a bit worse when I had no hard questions to report, staying shtum was the policy, that day.

Yeah that was gonna be my plan but i'd written down answers on the question paper so everyone wanted to check theirs XD

Latest

Trending

Trending