The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I would say it depends a lot on the subject.
it depends. Cambridge is more of a scientific and mathematical place whereas Oxford is better known for literacy and philosophy
Reply 62
Original post by Brown100103
it depends. Cambridge is more of a scientific and mathematical place whereas Oxford is better known for literacy and philosophy

Yeah Cambridge is for people who are mathematically and scientifically smart, Oxford ain't- it's for those willing to be good at literacy - e.g write good emails !
Original post by squeakysquirrel
London Met

😂😂😂
Depends on the subject, for my undergrad degree, my northern uni >>> Oxbridge whereas for others it's the other way. Can't say I've ever found it worth paying much attention to league tables anyway
Original post by Fullofsurprises
If you go onto very old threads at TSR, it was the same topic. They should just leave it open as a permanent item.

I’m well aware of the threads of old tsr.

Ive been to the pub, drank inappropriate amounts of alcohol and still, this thread is a typical toilet on tsr.

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Coventry isn't even better than Warwick, which is also in Coventry.

Coventry is also a toilet.
Harvard is nothing compared to Oxbridge
Reply 67
Original post by The RAR
Harvard is nothing compared to Oxbridge

Compared to Cambridge- you got a point ... Oxford tho ... id have to say Harvard >>>>>>>>Oxford no doubt about it
Original post by OMG354
I thought that Cambridge is the Harvard of England at the beginning too. Oxford is more like Columbia/ Yale / NYU of England

Liking how you ask a question and then start shoving in your own opinion whilst ignoring peoples answers. TSR needs more like you.
Reply 69
Original post by 999tigger
Liking how you ask a question and then start shoving in your own opinion whilst ignoring peoples answers. TSR needs more like you.

Thank you so much !
Reply 70
British people apply to oxford because they know they'll get rejected at Cambridge
Original post by OMG354
British people apply to oxford because they know they'll get rejected at Cambridge

Again I have answered this question already in depth.

They apply to either Oxford or Cambridge because they are intelligent and talented, and are discerning enough to know which course (and therefore which uni) they prefer.. Oxford is not better than Cambridge, or vice versa. Harvard, Oxford and Cambridge are all oversubscribed and as I say have survived for years without your opinion.
Reply 72
Original post by Oxford Mum
Again I have answered this question already in depth.

They apply to either Oxford or Cambridge because they are intelligent and talented, and are discerning enough to know which course (and therefore which uni) they prefer.. Oxford is not better than Cambridge, or vice versa. Harvard, Oxford and Cambridge are all oversubscribed and as I say have survived for years without your opinion.

Ok
Reply 73
Original post by username2998742
That's not what I said. In terms of uni quality, they're interchangeable, I just personally prefer Cambridge because of the city, but many people will disagree

Indeed; one of the reasons I chose Oxford was that I much preferred the city of Oxford to Cambridge. Cambridge just felt far too small.
Original post by OMG354
I thought that Cambridge is the Harvard of England at the beginning too. Oxford is more like Columbia/ Yale / NYU of England

Saying Oxford is like the Columbia of the UK is WILDDDDD. Oxford and Cambridge are in a tier of their own. Not above Harvard but perhaps beside it.
Original post by OMG354
Which uni is the Harvard of England :Oxford or Cambridge?

I mean, Harvard is in Cambridge, and Cambridge is also in Cambridge. Neither Harvard nor Cambridge are in Oxford; so Cambridge is the clear winner.
Coventry university
Reply 77
Despite Harvard literally being based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, I feel that Harvard might be more like Oxford because they both are known for their business schools too. Although Cambridge is ranking higher than Oxford for Medicine, which Harvard ranks best for in the US.

Academically, both Cambridge and Oxford are the Harvard of the UK. They're both rated just above Harvard.

All of these are ranked below MIT, which is also in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

In UK and Ireland world ranking, then it's Imperial College London, UCL, Edinburgh, Manchester, KCL, LSE, Bristol, Warwick, Leeds, Glasgow, Durham, Trinity College Dublin, Southampton, Birmingham, St Andrews, Nottingham.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Picnicl
Despite Harvard literally being based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, I feel that Harvard might be more like Oxford because they both are known for their business schools too.

Academically, both Cambridge and Oxford are the Harvard of the UK. They're both rated just above Harvard.

All of these are ranked below MIT, which is also in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

In UK and Ireland world ranking, then it's Imperial College London, UCL, Edinburgh, Manchester, KCL, LSE, Bristol, Warwick, Leeds, Glasgow, Durham, Trinity College Dublin, Southampton, Birmingham, St Andrews, Nottingham.

I think it is a bit disrespectful to compare Harvard to Cambridge. The founder of Harvard, John Harvard, was a student at Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The love of Cambridge was so great that they named the area Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Reply 79
Original post by Wired_1800
I think it is a bit disrespectful to compare Harvard to Cambridge. The founder of Harvard, John Harvard, was a student at Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The love of Cambridge was so great that they named the area Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Firstly, to contextualise, as you're probably aware, Cambridge University itself originated from scholars fleeing town gown rivalry in Oxford. People compare Oxford and Cambridge and it's not disrespectful. It's just investigatory rather than lazily or conveniently or diplomatically accepting a narrative that they're always about the same for everything.
Secondly, I said that all 3 universities are ranked about the same. If it's just that you can't bear to hear Harvard being mentioned below the other two, take comfort that if Harvard had currently ranked above them, I would have said so. I'm not bashing Harvard. However, since the thread title almost suggests that Harvard is the gold standard, it is important to mention that it is not an uncontested one, not even within the US.
(edited 2 months ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending