The Student Room Group

Do I need to cite a website I mentioned?

I'm writing a reflective piece and want to mention the use of Grammarly.com. Do I need to cite it in quotation marks and put the year? I use Harvard referencing.

Thanks

My sentence:

Sites recommended by peers include Grammarly.com will be used...
Original post by eruyeres
I'm writing a reflective piece and want to mention the use of Grammarly.com. Do I need to cite it in quotation marks and put the year? I use Harvard referencing.

Thanks

My sentence:

I doubt they'll be that strict, if you're explicitly mentioning the website in the body of the text. I wouldn't worry about it.
Reply 2
Yes.
I'd say yes, you can't assume a reader has app or online service knowledge.
Any source used within an essay/project should be properly referenced according to the type of source in the References List at the end of the work, using the required system (usually Harvard, often APA).

Thanks

My sentence:

HI Eruyeres,

Personally I think it is important that you cite any evidence you have gathered because your University could potentially see it as plagiarism if it isn't your own information !! So my recommendation would be to cite the website and make sure you include it in your reference list! As a Psychology Student I write many essays and I always make sure to cite every secondary source that I used in my work!

I hope this has helped

-Tianna :smile:
If you are literally just mentioning a website, as opposed to citing information from it, then no, you wouldn't need to cite it any more than you’d need to cite “London” if you mentioned going for a walk there.

If your essay explores the website (eg. describes its features and sociotechnical affordances), then it’s best to cite it. If your are quoting or taking information from it, then yes, you absolutely should cite it.

Never put a website in quotation marks or italics. A website (eg. YouTube or YouTube.com) stays unitalicised and without marks. The name of particular article or page on a website does get quotation marks.

The only exception to the italics thing is to websites that are the online equivalent of print media, such as newspapers and dictionaries. It’s always Oxford English Dictionary or The Guardian whether it’s the online or print version.

Thanks

My sentence:

Hi @eruyeres,

Yes, I recommend that you reference all sources that you use to avoid the risk of plagiarism. If you are unsure how to reference it, read this article here as it might be helpful: https://www.scribbr.co.uk/referencing/harvard-website-reference/

I think it is best to credit anything you use when writing an essay, an extra reference is better than risking plagiarism!

I hope this helps,
Sara :smile:
Coventry University Student Ambassador
(edited 1 year ago)
Note;

That since Grammarly is an online resource, you should include the URL in the reference to direct readers to the correct website. Additionally, since Grammarly does not provide a specific publication date for their content, you can use "n.d." (which stands for "no date") to indicate that the information is not dated.

Please ensure that you follow the guidelines and requirements of your specific institution or publication regarding citation styles to ensure accuracy and consistency throughout your reflective piece.

Thanks

My sentence:

Hi @eruyeres,
According to www.citethemrightonline.com (which I think you should be able to access with your uni credentials):

"""
Web pages with no authors or titles (Harvard)

If no author or title can be identified, you should use the web page’s URL. It may be possible to shorten a very long URL, as long as the route remains clear, but it may be necessary to give the full URL, even in your citation.

If a web page has no author or title, it is unlikely to be suitable for academic work.

Citation order:
1) URL
2) Year that the site was published/last updated (in round brackets)
3) (Accessed: date)

Example

- In-text citation
A site of dubious information (http://www.unknownprovenance.com, 2018).

- Reference list
http://www.unknownprovenance.com (2018) (Accessed: 14 May 2021).
"""

I hope this helps :smile:
And definitely take a look at citethemright.com, they are cool

Take care,
- Ilya :u:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending