The Student Room Group

Four A Levels required for America??

Hi everyone, urgent question please help:

I am a Year 12 student who will apply to top unis in America (Yale, Harvard, etc) and currently attend an independent sixth form where most pupils applying for US study 4 A Levels, some an extra A Level or EPQ on top of that. I would 100% pick up an EPQ if I were to drop one but just want to know if this will put me at a great disadvantage in comparison to my peers (thinking ab contextualisation here)?

Thank you!
Original post by tropdebruit

I am a Year 12 student who will apply to top unis in America (Yale, Harvard, etc) and currently attend an independent sixth form where most pupils applying for US study 4 A Levels, some an extra A Level or EPQ on top of that. I would 100% pick up an EPQ if I were to drop one but just want to know if this will put me at a great disadvantage in comparison to my peers (thinking ab contextualisation here)?

Thank you!

So your school often has people applying to the US?

If so, then yes, you'll be at a huge disadvantage with just 3 A-Levels vs 4 in the admissions process.
My school has a fair few go off to the US to study at the likes of Harvard, MIT etc. They all had 5 A-levels, EPQ and obviously top SAT scores.

An A-level is worth more than an EPQ and if you are wanting to get into some of the most academically competitive schools in the world as you mentioned, a fourth A-level will be more beneficial. An EPQ in my experience wasn't that much extra work so 4 A-levels + an EPQ may be the way to make your application competitive.
Reply 3
Original post by mah1000000
My school has a fair few go off to the US to study at the likes of Harvard, MIT etc. They all had 5 A-levels, EPQ and obviously top SAT scores.W

An A-level is worth more than an EPQ and if you are wanting to get into some of the most academically competitive schools in the world as you mentioned, a fourth A-level will be more beneficial. An EPQ in my experience wasn't that much extra work so 4 A-levels + an EPQ may be the way to make your application competitive.

What school did you go to? Unless you're at Westminster or St Paul's I really don't think studying 5 A Levels is going to do much to help you stand out lool esp because studying that many tears down someone's time for extracurriculars and makes them look completely study obsessed. I think you're misunderstanding the worth of EPQs - they demonstrate independent learning unlike structured A Level courses, and give you more time to live! Plus, remember USA looks at apps holistically. People at school have gotten full-ride offers with 3 A Levels and an EPQ - I am looking for constructive advice not obvious showboating to make other people feel less competent!!

Thank you.
What school did you go to? Unless you're at Westminster or St Paul's I really don't think studying 5 A Levels is going to do much to help you stand out lool esp because studying that many tears down someone's time for extracurriculars and makes them look completely study obsessed. I think you're misunderstanding the worth of EPQs - they demonstrate independent learning unlike structured A Level courses, and give you more time to live! Plus, remember USA looks at apps holistically. People at school have gotten full-ride offers with 3 A Levels and an EPQ - I am looking for constructive advice not obvious showboating to make other people feel less competent!!

Thank you.

Yes, they look at applications holistically, but most importantly they’ll look at it in the context of your school.

Refer to the advice I gave above: If most of the students at your school are doing 4-Levels (especially if they’re applying to the US with those), you’ll be at a big disadvantage in the applications process since they want a rigorous course load.

Additionally, an EPQ honestly isn't worth that much. Most US Universities won't really know much about it, and even if they do, they'll care about a 4th A-Level a lot more than an EPQ. Doing an EPQ is obviously better than no EPQ, but 4 A-Levels and no EPQ is going to be better than 3 and an EPQ.
(edited 2 years ago)

Thank you.

Hmm, you seem to be a little angry that you're already decided preconceptions weren't reinforced. I don't know what 'showboating' you could be referring to since I didn't speak at all about myself or any accomplishments to show off? I personally did apply to the U.S and did not have a good enough application to be able to afford to go. I never told you that you needed 5 A-levels, I gave direct anecdotal evidence of the state of applications from my school and said that your most competitive application would be 4 A-levels + EPQ. At my school where approximately 10 people applied to top U.S schools and only the 2, I mentioned before received places. They were the smart people at school, I certainly wasn't doing 5 A-levels and applying to Harvard. I mentioned my school purely so you knew I was coming from an experienced position and not as someone who has just read some 'Applying to the U.S threads online'.

Firstly, I'm not misunderstanding the value of an EPQ. You are severely overestimating the value of a teacher assessed tack-on side essay and I clarified 4 A-levels will be more valuable than 3 + EPQ (and 4 + EPQ is even better). I never said it wasn't worthwhile, however, I encouraged you to do the EPQ and tried to reassure you that it isn't that much extra work and that you should attempt it with 4 A-levels. and simply said if you wish to apply to top schools you should be in a position where adding on an EPQ doesn't diminish your actual grades.

Secondly, yes the U.S looks at apps holistically much more than anywhere else. But you aren't talking about good-tier U.S schools, where 3 A-levels and a good all-round application could certainly get you a space, but the top tier of universities worldwide where they will want someone who can deal with 4 A-levels and still have the spare time to do other things with their life. A good point made elsewhere in this thread is the contextual data of your school, which is incredibly important. You have already mentioned that most of the U.S applicants at your school take 4-5 A-levels and an EPQ (the academic profile I recommended) and they are who you will be directly compared to. Putting yourself 1-2 A-levels / EPQ down is already going to lose you some significant points that will be much harder to make up elsewhere.

Finally, I did attempt to offer constructive criticism but you weren't willing to hear the possibility that 'Yale, Harvard, etc.' could possibly require hard work to get into. I directly told you that based on my experience of also wanting to apply there that the general academic profile of someone applying to Harvard is going to be above the 3 A-levels that the average student in the U.K receives.

To conclude, I was trying to give some direct first-hand advice from someone who has gone through this all before. I for one realised far too late that my academic drawbacks compared to my peers was severely holding me back in applying to the Ivy League. If you don't want to listen just discount everything I've said and I wish you the best.
Reply 6
Original post by ry7xsfa
Yes, they look at applications holistically, but most importantly they’ll look at it in the context of your school.

Refer to the advice I gave above: If most of the students at your school are doing 4-Levels (especially if they’re applying to the US with those), you’ll be at a big disadvantage in the applications process since they want a rigorous course load.

Additionally, an EPQ honestly isn't worth that much. Most US Universities won't really know much about it, and even if they do, they'll care about a 4th A-Level a lot more than an EPQ. Doing an EPQ is obviously better than no EPQ, but 4 A-Levels and no EPQ is going to be better than 3 and an EPQ.

Hello, sorry I thought I'd replied to your message but it didn't send! Most people at my school do 3 A Levels by the end of Year 12. Anything on top of 3, incl EPQ, counts as the 'most rigorous coursework' offered that the counsellor ticks on the Common App.

Can I also ask where you got the information regarding EPQs from? Everything I've heard so far has been in favour of the EPQ as being revered by unis

Thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by mah1000000
Hmm, you seem to be a little angry that you're already decided preconceptions weren't reinforced. I don't know what 'showboating' you could be referring to since I didn't speak at all about myself or any accomplishments to show off? I personally did apply to the U.S and did not have a good enough application to be able to afford to go. I never told you that you needed 5 A-levels, I gave direct anecdotal evidence of the state of applications from my school and said that your most competitive application would be 4 A-levels + EPQ. At my school where approximately 10 people applied to top U.S schools and only the 2, I mentioned before received places. They were the smart people at school, I certainly wasn't doing 5 A-levels and applying to Harvard. I mentioned my school purely so you knew I was coming from an experienced position and not as someone who has just read some 'Applying to the U.S threads online'.

Firstly, I'm not misunderstanding the value of an EPQ. You are severely overestimating the value of a teacher assessed tack-on side essay and I clarified 4 A-levels will be more valuable than 3 + EPQ (and 4 + EPQ is even better). I never said it wasn't worthwhile, however, I encouraged you to do the EPQ and tried to reassure you that it isn't that much extra work and that you should attempt it with 4 A-levels. and simply said if you wish to apply to top schools you should be in a position where adding on an EPQ doesn't diminish your actual grades.

Secondly, yes the U.S looks at apps holistically much more than anywhere else. But you aren't talking about good-tier U.S schools, where 3 A-levels and a good all-round application could certainly get you a space, but the top tier of universities worldwide where they will want someone who can deal with 4 A-levels and still have the spare time to do other things with their life. A good point made elsewhere in this thread is the contextual data of your school, which is incredibly important. You have already mentioned that most of the U.S applicants at your school take 4-5 A-levels and an EPQ (the academic profile I recommended) and they are who you will be directly compared to. Putting yourself 1-2 A-levels / EPQ down is already going to lose you some significant points that will be much harder to make up elsewhere.

Finally, I did attempt to offer constructive criticism but you weren't willing to hear the possibility that 'Yale, Harvard, etc.' could possibly require hard work to get into. I directly told you that based on my experience of also wanting to apply there that the general academic profile of someone applying to Harvard is going to be above the 3 A-levels that the average student in the U.K receives.

To conclude, I was trying to give some direct first-hand advice from someone who has gone through this all before. I for one realised far too late that my academic drawbacks compared to my peers was severely holding me back in applying to the Ivy League. If you don't want to listen just discount everything I've said and I wish you the best.

Hello there, I'm wholeheartedly sorry for that spout of vexation to your reply - I completely understand that you were trying to help, but I totally misread the tone of your message bc I immediately assumed this was one of those snarky TSR threads. Anyway, my reproaching was totally uncalled for and I'm really sorry!!

In response to your points (thank you), I'm most certainly aware of the hard work required to get into these top top schools and am so willing to work to get there. I'm sorry your pursuits didn't work out in your favour, but to take up your advice as someone who's been through it, what would you suggest I do? I can't take up another A Level at this point (people at my school take an extra one bc it's a language they are already fluent in), and severely dislike my fourth A Level subject - it's consuming my time for work and I feel my time could be so much better spent elsewhere. Can I also ask, of the people who were successful in your cohort, what schools did they end up at and what were their stats/outside of school profile?
Hello, sorry I thought I'd replied to your message but it didn't send! Most people at my school do 3 A Levels by the end of Year 12. Anything on top of 3, incl EPQ, counts as the 'most rigorous coursework' offered that the counsellor ticks on the Common App.

Can I also ask where you got the information regarding EPQs from? Everything I've heard so far has been in favour of the EPQ as being revered by unis

Thanks!

You said in the original post that people from your school do 4 A-Levels if they're applying to the US. Even if your counsellor ticks the "most rigorous courseload" box on CommonApp (which, by the way, should only be ticked depending on subject choice as well as number taken), they'll see that others from the UK, and indeed your school, have 4 (plus potentially an EPQ), so it will still disadvantage you.

As for the info regarding the EPQ, where have you got your information from? I'm not saying your information is wrong at all - mostly for UK unis, but keep the source in mind. Of course your teachers will tell you that the EPQ is great - it looks good for them from the view of the public, not necessarily unis as much as they'd like to claim though. It's the exact same situation with D of E - they tell you the award on its own is enough to get your foot in the door for a lot of places - which simply isn't true (with the possible exception of Gold). It's the skills you learn while doing it, not the award itself, that employers and universities like - so just saying you have the award without saying what skills you obtained from it won't do anything for you.

I know this about EPQs for the same reason I'm aware of how things like BTECs are treated - I spoke to admissions officers and asked. I'm currently studying in the US, and I spoke to a lot of admissions officers for advice to get there. The general preference is that you have more A-Levels. I reiterate, 4 A-Levels + EPQ is obviously going to be looked upon better than 4 A-Levels + no EPQ, but 4 A-Levels + No EPQ will generally be regarded better than 3 A-Levels + EPQ.

Thank you!

Good luck! I'm applying too- 3 A levels with an additional BTEC Diploma in Business (I knew from the start that it wasn't an A level but I just adored the subject so much I had to do it alongside my A levels!) and also an EPQ. Luckily I did the bulk of my EPQ prep during lockdown so it didn't mess with studies too much. I would say really focus on your personality in the process and Common App etc as well as non-academics to show an all-rounded applicant.
bruh
Reply 11
Hi I want to apply to harvard but I am thinking of not doing EPQ but rather doing a personal independant research project, I am also only doing 3 A levels, is thing a good idea?(I have quite a few ambitious projects I wish to pursue outside of school)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending