The Student Room Group

AEA - offers

I know this has been asked in the general Oxbridge forum before, but no definitive answer was reached and I'm more interested in Cam-specific offers, so here goes anyway:

How likely is it that Cam will make an offer based on AEA if it's listed on your UCAS form / CAF?
Is it like standard practice to include them, or will they be included as part of an alternative offer (with lower A2 grades), or only if they're not entirely sure about the candidate, or only if they're being taken in the subject that the candidate's applying for, etc.?
Different across subjects / colleges?

Also, does extra-teaching make a difference? For example, I'm taking 3 AEAs, but I put on my SAQ that no extra teaching was being provided for them. Will this make them less likely to include it in an offer?

Not much I can do about it now, but just generally wondering...

ZarathustraX

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i'm always inclined to feel that if you are doing AEAs they will be tempted to make an offer based on those AEAs. I did 5 A Levels and they effectively made an offer based on all 5.

I would say be ready for an offer based partly on them, but it shouldnt be too heavily dependant upon them...they'd probably forgive you if you just missed the grade.
Reply 2
bloody hell what was ur offer
Reply 3
If you are doing a subject which has AEA and is available to you, i.e. your school offers it. Then chances are you'll be asked to do it whether or not you stated in your UCAS.

Will, I did five A'levels, they didn't ask for an A in Chemistry. But effectively, they asked me to get 4 A's.

Does extra teaching make any difference? Not very much. My school offered some one hour per week "help/teaching" session which you can enroll as an enrichment course. The chemistry one clashed with my other subjects' time. So I didn't go. All I did for the exam was a two hour reading/thinking session the night before the exam and I got a distinction.

I took 3 AEAs, Maths, Chemistry and Physics. Practice past paper questions would help you in Maths, not very much in Chemistry, but will help. It did nothing for my physics. The general idea for these 3 goes like this:

if you are good at maths, you'll get merit in physics without too much worry.
If you are good at maths and at chemistry (mainly theoretical stuff), you'll get a distinction.
If you are good at maths, and you are lucky with the exam paper, you'll get a distinction in maths.
Reply 4
k@tieH

AAAAB
Reply 5
Willa
AAAAB

I thought they (all unis) can only make offers on 3 A levels..
Reply 6
k@tieH

The following is not my offer, it's my friend's offer. A pretty horrible one:

A in Further Maths, A in Physics, A in Biology, 1 in Step II, 1 in Step III.

He spent 3 year A'level, did History, English, Maths (single) and Chemistry in the 1st year. Moved to my college in the 2nd (when I was a first year). Got A in Maths and A in Chemistry at the end of the 2nd year. Yes, in effect the offer was 5 A's at A'level plus those nasties at the end.
Reply 7
hihihihi

They only make offers based on 3 subjects. But, if you finished any A'Level subjects in the first year, A'Level maths for instance if you are doing further maths, they'll ask for a further 3 A's to go with that, which makes it effectively 4 A's.
Reply 8
hihihihi

you are severely mistaken! However, they CANT make offers based on more A levels than you are actually doing...I was actually doing 5 a levels, so they thought they would set it on all 5 (that didnt include general studies btw, that isnt an a level to any uni!)
Reply 9
Willa
you are severely mistaken! However, they CANT make offers based on more A levels than you are actually doing...I was actually doing 5 a levels, so they thought they would set it on all 5 (that didnt include general studies btw, that isnt an a level to any uni!)

Really? Didn't know that... I just thought they didn't want my Chemistry.
It's 150% up to the admissions tutor. They decide who gets the offers, and what requirements will be demanded. There's no point worrying about it really; if they ask for AEAs they do, if they don't, they don't.
Reply 11
lol i wrote i was doing one.....mayb i shudve hav but then u nvr kno it mite giv u an edge. no one in my school has ever done it b4.......lol :s-smilie: so nervous!
Reply 12
lol.....chill people, cambridge honestly isnt the be-all-and-end-all...i'm hating myself because i still dont appriciate cambridge, i'm not trying my hardest, i'm just being lazy...i'm so undeserving!
I agree with Willa.

Though saying that, it's easier to do that this side of the applications process.
Reply 14
i've decided....from next term onwards, i'm gonna really try to appriciate cambridge...i really am! I've been so pathetic, I never do anything....except rowing!
Reply 15
Willa
i've decided....from next term onwards, i'm gonna really try to appriciate cambridge...i really am! I've been so pathetic, I never do anything....except rowing!

Why not start now? Why next term?

On another note, I'm still telling myself that. It's soooo sooo soooooooooo annoying getting the end of year mark and wondering if I could have done better if I'd put some effort in.

A.
Reply 16
well i think it's too late for me to start putting in the effort this term, i'm in such a state i'm so confused over the work and everything, and i dont have time to try and make it clear in my head cos i need to go back to the start!
Reply 17
BazTheMoney
It's 150% up to the admissions tutor. They decide who gets the offers, and what requirements will be demanded. There's no point worrying about it really; if they ask for AEAs they do, if they don't, they don't.

Wasn't worrying - just wondering. Thanks for the replies everyone... hopefully they'll only make the relevant one part of my offer (if any), as I'm not too confident about English AEA!

ZarathustraX
Reply 18
Willa
well i think it's too late for me to start putting in the effort this term, i'm in such a state i'm so confused over the work and everything, and i dont have time to try and make it clear in my head cos i need to go back to the start!

Oh dear... it's never too late.
Reply 19
I NEVER want to HAVE to do an AEA... ever. I just don't want to!

Latest

Trending

Trending