The Student Room Group

Ucl upc questions pls help me

hi, i’m an international student and i was wondering a few things about the foundation year ar UCL:
First of all, i haven’t found whether the “Politics and International Relations BSc” is elegible for the UPCH, does anybody know?
Secondly, are there any known rates regarding % of chances i have to enter after completing it?
Also, acording to UCL’s website elegibility requirements include to meet one of the following:
“You will be 16 years of age or older at the start of the course
You will be in the last year of high school (at the time of application)
You will be graduating from high school with a qualification which is not considered for direct entry onto a UCL undergraduate degree programme.”
Does this mean that if i finished higschool on december 2018 (my country’s academic year follows the calendar year) i am not elegible? I have started in 2019 a semester of the compulsory foundation year we have to do in my country for uni.
Im confused, can anyone help me?
Thx!
UCL doesn’t accept foundation year courses
Original post by Faizan Maqsood
UCL doesn’t accept foundation year courses

Perhaps not in general, but it would be a bit strange if they didn't acceptthe specific ones that the OP is talking about, which they run themselves:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/languages-international-education/international-preparation-courses/undergraduate-preparatory-certificates-international-foundation-1

In 2019
- :86% of UPC students received UCL undergraduate degree offers
- 97% received UCL or Russell Group university degree offers
- 52% progressed to a UCL undergraduate degree programme.
- 79% progressed to UCL or another Russell Group university

The list of student destinations includes Politics and IR at other universities, which would imply that the UPCH may well be acceptable preparation for the course at UCL. The best way of finding out would be to ask UCL directly, though.

ETA, the UPC programme is mentioned under Entry Requirements for the Politics and IR BSc, which would be a bit odd if it wasn't relevant for that degree.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Isinglass
Perhaps not in general, but it would be a bit strange if they didn't acceptthe specific ones that the OP is talking about, which they run themselves:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/languages-international-education/international-preparation-courses/undergraduate-preparatory-certificates-international-foundation-1

In 2019
- :86% of UPC students received UCL undergraduate degree offers
- 97% received UCL or Russell Group university degree offers
- 52% progressed to a UCL undergraduate degree programme.
- 79% progressed to UCL or another Russell Group university

The list of student destinations includes Politics and IR at other universities, which would imply that the UPCH may well be acceptable preparation for the course at UCL. The best way of finding out would be to ask UCL directly, though.

ETA, the UPC programme is mentioned under Entry Requirements for the Politics and IR BSc, which would be a bit odd if it wasn't relevant for that degree.

If it’s their own then of course they would, if you get enough marks
Reply 4
I'll strongly suggest you take a year to do A level or apply to Kings or Bristol foundation. What UCL site says contradicts reality for students who attend. Each student who take the course and passes the first term receives conditional offers. Its the conditions which eventually cancels out the offer. Distinction is 70%, yet student who get 69% but little lower in modules gets rejected. Worst, once UCL rejects you, you're in trouble. Because the foundation is only accepted by some reach elite schools like Oxford(where its beyond reach) and others. When you apply to even 4th tier Unis like Brookes, they don't accept UCL certificate. I'm talking about the UCL Undergraduate Preparatory Certificate for Science and Engineering (UPCSE) is for students aiming to study degrees in Engineering, Life Sciences, Mathematics and Physical Sciences or Medical Sciences not the UCL Undergraduate Preparatory Certificate for the Humanities (UPCH) is for entry into Arts, Business and Mathematics-related degrees, Humanities or Social Sciences, including Economics and Law.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Mmasek1
I'll strongly suggest you take a year to do A level or apply to Kings or Bristol foundation. What UCL site says contradicts reality for students who attend. Each student who take the course and passes the first term receives conditional offers. Its the conditions which eventually cancels out the offer. Distinction is 70%, yet student who get 69% but little lower in modules gets rejected. Worst, once UCL rejects you, you're in trouble. Because the foundation is only accepted by some reach elite schoolsCould like Oxford(where its beyond reach) and others. When you apply to even 4th tier Unis like Brookes, they don't accept UCL certificate. I'm talking about the UCL Undergraduate Preparatory Certificate for Science and Engineering (UPCSE) is for students aiming to study degrees in Engineering, Life Sciences, Mathematics and Physical Sciences or Medical Sciences not the UCL Undergraduate Preparatory Certificate for the Humanities (UPCH) is for entry into Arts, Business and Mathematics-related degrees, Humanities or Social Sciences, including Economics and Law.

I'm about to study Chemistry and Biology at UPCSE. Is it very hard? How is the workload? Did you know a lot of students who did not meet their conditions?
Reply 6
Original post by Wtung
I'm about to study Chemistry and Biology at UPCSE. Is it very hard? How is the workload? Did you know a lot of students who did not meet their conditions?

I'll be brutally honest and Frank with you. As someone who took the course and was just one point away from earning a distinction. I honestly believe this should only be marketed as a summer course for rich and academically inclined students who have already secured unconditional offers elsewhere,deferred but wish to stimulate themselves intellectually. It's not a realistic pathway students who do not posses the right qualifications to gain direct entry to ranked universities. Merely passing the course with distinction doesnt guarantee progression as UCL. Moreover, the passing mark for a subject may be set at 65 but the may set the progression mark for the same test at 74.

Another sad illusion is those students who are hoping to enter first year medicine by taking the biology and modules. Forget that!!. You have a better chance of getting admission to Oxbridge than UCL medicine through this program. The BMAT classes are a waste of time and they conflict regular clasess so you may have to split seconds to.do independent study.
Please don't be fooled by the impressive list of students who gained admission to highly rated universities and UCLs own progresion rate ( maybe this year student may have a better chance for progression due to the inticipated shortfall in enrollment by international students who may decline offers because of COVID-19). The slogan doesn't match the reality.
To add insults to injury, with the exception of a few reach universities, a foundation certificate from UCL is NOT ACCEPTED in support of an application for admission to even the lowest ranked universities in UK. That was a surprised me. Prior to enrolling in the course, I had gotten unconditional offer from St Andrew's, Edinburgh, Warwick and Kings College. I declined those offers because they for subjects such as Biolgy, Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry . I took the UCL UPSCE course hoping to get direct admission for medicine . Please learn from my mistake and either taken gap year to improve your qualifications or add some lower ranked universities in your UCAS selection
.Also apply Kings, Bristol foundation which offer a realistic pathway if you apply yourself. Otherwise, unless your parents are Bill and Melinda Gates, dont waste their hard earned money on gambling at UCL foundation because with the exception of a few lucky ones, all you'll earn is a nice slogan on an bumper sticker. But if you're resourceful, determined, already equipped and motivated to make.sacrifice, then go.for it. You may actually be enshrined as one of the best and finest to make it out triumphantly..
Dont take my opinion as a scare tactic by an embittered former student, take it as a challenge to defy the odds
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
What is your question because I cant see it. you may also PM me
(edited 7 months ago)
Hi, I just finished my foundation year for UPCH(I chose Econ and Maths) and successfully got into UCL to study BA philosophy and economics. I would say that UPC is really a great way to get into UCL(the admission rate is fairly high as far as I know).
Yes, you can definitely apply for politics and international relations ( Two people I am friends with got into this course), but it is said to be a fairly challenging course to get in. In fact, it is generally easier to get into STEM courses as a foundation student than get into a humanities or social sciences courses. You can see that ‘guaranteed offer’ is predominantly for STEM ( or stats related) courses.
With regards to your last question, definitely email the UPC coordinator to check your eligibility. I personally don’t think this is a problem.
Anyways, good luck!
Hey! I am starting the UPCSE at UCL online with Biology and Chemistry modules this October, and since you've just finished it, I was wondering about two things, first being that as we are living during a pandemic, how was the UPC course online? Was it good? Did you get support and whatnot? And secondly, is there ANY chance of getting into oxbridge through this foundation course, has anyone from the recent cohorts that you know of, who have gotten in or at least gotten an interview???? Thanks!
Congratulations on your offer to study UPC at UCL!
1. I finished most of my courses face-to-face. So unfortunately I can’t give you a full review of online UPC courses. As far as I am concerned, the online courses were quite disappointing tbh. For maths, we had audio powerpoints on a weekly basis. Maths tutorials were basically cancelled. Instead, we sent emails asking questions. Econ teachers are not familiar with technology, so much time was wasted on adjusting computer. However, I am not sure about UPCSC. But from my friends from UPCSC, they didn’t have a pleasant experience either. However, this is quite normal given that the pandemic stroke everyone unexpectedly in the UK. Maybe when you start your course, UPC teaching staff will have adapted to the teaching environment and formulated a more reasonable plan.

2. Going to Oxbridge is extremely rare, but it is possible. At the start of UPC, there will be an event for Oxbridge aspirants. However, I don’t know anyone who got into Oxbridge through this course. No one got into Oxbridge this year.
Original post by Charles_001
Congratulations on your offer to study UPC at UCL!
1. I finished most of my courses face-to-face. So unfortunately I can’t give you a full review of online UPC courses. As far as I am concerned, the online courses were quite disappointing tbh. For maths, we had audio powerpoints on a weekly basis. Maths tutorials were basically cancelled. Instead, we sent emails asking questions. Econ teachers are not familiar with technology, so much time was wasted on adjusting computer. However, I am not sure about UPCSC. But from my friends from UPCSC, they didn’t have a pleasant experience either. However, this is quite normal given that the pandemic stroke everyone unexpectedly in the UK. Maybe when you start your course, UPC teaching staff will have adapted to the teaching environment and formulated a more reasonable plan.

2. Going to Oxbridge is extremely rare, but it is possible. At the start of UPC, there will be an event for Oxbridge aspirants. However, I don’t know anyone who got into Oxbridge through this course. No one got into Oxbridge this year.

Thanks for your reply!

Overall how was the experience, and around how many people were in the course? What sucks is that there isn't enough information about the course.

Just hoping that whoever has any insight can inform me and some other people about it.

Thanks again
Hi, I just finished my foundation year for UPCH(I chose Econ and Maths) and successfully got into UCL to study BA philosophy and economics. I would say that UPC is really a great way to get into UCL(the admission rate is fairly high as far as I know).
Yes, you can definitely apply for politics and international relations ( Two people I am friends with got into this course), but it is said to be a fairly challenging course to get in. In fact, it is generally easier to get into STEM courses as a foundation student than get into a humanities or social sciences courses. You can see that ‘guaranteed offer’ is predominantly for STEM ( or stats related) courses.
With regards to your last question, definitely email the UPC coordinator to check your eligibility. I personally don’t think this is a problem.
Anyways, good luck!

Hey! Sorry for asking but do you know anything about Physics on the UPC? Did you know anyone who took it? Were the exams hard?
Thank you :smile:
Anyways, good luck!

Hi,
I am also considering UPCH for economics BSc in the future. I would like to ask you a few questions. Would you mind sharing your Instagram so that I can DM you. (international student)
Reply 14
Anyways, good luck!

Hi,

How was the maths course ,I heard you need A* to get into Economics degree , A lot of students are complaining about the program including progression rate . How was the economic progression
Hi, did you end up going to the upcse? How difficult was it to get a distinction in Chem and biology? Did you progress to ucl?

Original post by PollyWaCracker
Thanks for your reply!

Overall how was the experience, and around how many people were in the course? What sucks is that there isn't enough information about the course.

Just hoping that whoever has any insight can inform me and some other people about it.

Thanks again
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ashabil46
Hi,
I am also considering UPCH for economics BSc in the future. I would like to ask you a few questions. Would you mind sharing your Instagram so that I can DM you. (international student)

Hi, did you end up attending the UPC program? I’m also interested in studying economics at ucl.
Reply 17
Anyways, good luck!

Hey! I am looking forward to apply to UPCH this year, is the Maths test as difficult as the website practice test? My intended degree is Social Sciences or similar, so I find it kind of confusing that I need to take such difficult Math test...
Anyways, good luck!

Hey, my sister is applying to the same UPC course that you did. She is really worried about the Math Interview. What would they ask and how to get ready for it?

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending