The Student Room Group

A-level OCR Chemistry Paper 1,2 and 3 Revision and Study Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muhammad Razak
I revised properly over everything near the end of February. Considering I didn't intensely revise for the 2 years till then I put in the work. Tbf I don't think it's that hard. If you start now you'll pass with flying colours. I'll post later revision technique but CBA now as I'm doing Further maths work. Biggest tip would be do lots of past papers I only did max 10 so maybe that's why I didn't get an A* first time.

So I'm in year 13 now, so do you think I have enough time till June to get A*? I'm currently around a grade B, but I didn't revise at all for any chemistry exams... :s-smilie:
Did you also do biology and maths A-Level? Any revision tips/strategies for those too?
Also Could you link me to the thread when you post revision techniques please?
Original post by paulkisho
So I'm in year 13 now, so do you think I have enough time till June to get A*? I'm currently around a grade B, but I didn't revise at all for any chemistry exams... :s-smilie:
Did you also do biology and maths A-Level? Any revision tips/strategies for those too?
Also Could you link me to the thread when you post revision techniques please?

Yep I'll post it here and pm you. I did maths Edexcel and Business AQA. I got an A* in maths. I also did Further maths As and got an A but I enjoyed it so much I wanted to take it at A level. Thus, in my gap year I'm self learning the content.

Also, you'll have enough time to get from a B to an A* but that'll take alot of work.
Original post by MichaelTheMedic
We finished the course at the Beginning of December, but we did all the organic A2 stuff at the end of Year 12

Damn that's quite early, is it just revision now?
Also noticed ur a medic, me too, how's that going?
Original post by yankang.qi
How far is everyone through the course?
We've still got transition metals, amines/amides and organic analysis left. We are predicted to finish about a month before exams.

We only have transition metals (m5.3) left.
we r done by the end of January.
we have all of module 6 still left to do :eek:
Reply 25
Anyone doing OCR B Salters?
Hi,
I'm doing OCR Chemistry and I just got my mock results back which was the 2019 papers and I literally got an E and D! I'm so embarrassed and worried because I need to get it to an A for the real thing because I want to do medicine! Tbh I didn't revise very well over the holidays but I'm really worried that it is going to be impossible to go from a D to an A in less than 4 months! Ahhh
Reply 27
Original post by dionne2503
Hi,
I'm doing OCR Chemistry and I just got my mock results back which was the 2019 papers and I literally got an E and D! I'm so embarrassed and worried because I need to get it to an A for the real thing because I want to do medicine! Tbh I didn't revise very well over the holidays but I'm really worried that it is going to be impossible to go from a D to an A in less than 4 months! Ahhh

Honestly don't stress too much about it because firstly THERE'S STILL TIMEEEE
Secondly, the 2019 papers espeically paper 3 I've heard was really really tough, ontop of that grade boundaries were insanely high. Just keep working hard and getting all the help you can get:smile:
Original post by Sidd1
Honestly don't stress too much about it because firstly THERE'S STILL TIMEEEE
Secondly, the 2019 papers espeically paper 3 I've heard was really really tough, ontop of that grade boundaries were insanely high. Just keep working hard and getting all the help you can get:smile:

thank you!! i really hope i can improve. good luck to you too!
Reply 29
Hi,

Hey have you got the 2019 papers because I wanted to revise from them but my school won’t let us take them home or take pics of the questions.
Hi,

I AM LITERALLY IN THE SAME POSITION AS YOU!!! I want to do medicine (so I have to get an A too) but recently I haven’t been doing well on my tests( I’ve been getting Cs and Ds). I honestly have no idea how to revise so I could improve in 4 months :frown:

But if you have any tips that you would like to share about what you’re planning to do, I will highly appreciate it. Thank you xx
Hi,

Eeeek! I know how you feel, just that I'm applying for law so won't need chemistry as much, but I'm predicted an A and got a D in my recent MOCK, we have another set of MOCKS in March and honestly I'm beginning hard core revision from now, best you can dooo !
Original post by Neuromegha
I AM LITERALLY IN THE SAME POSITION AS YOU!!! I want to do medicine (so I have to get an A too) but recently I haven’t been doing well on my tests( I’ve been getting Cs and Ds). I honestly have no idea how to revise so I could improve in 4 months :frown:

But if you have any tips that you would like to share about what you’re planning to do, I will highly appreciate it. Thank you xx

I would just say practice! practice! practice! It sounds cliché but it actually works. I started doing it at the end of last year where I was getting Cs and even some Ds and Es, so I started doing intense revision and all the practice questions under the sun and this year I've been getting mostly As. The thing is, once you do most of the practice papers/questions available you get familiar with the format and what they are looking for (by also looking at the mark schemes), the questions never vary THAT much so you can usually just adapt the skills you have developed to what they are asking you. When you mark the papers it also helps you figure out what topics you need to focus on and then you can go back and revise those instead of going over things you already know. 4 months is plenty of time, just be consistent and diligent with your revision and put in that extra bit of effort with that A grade you want in mind and you will get there! x

AHH! This is really reassuring as a lot of my classmates are doing fine except me lol! I think I'm just gonna start revising properly from now on as I can't afford wasting time. I'm sooo stressed Im worried I wont get the grades for medicine. I think in the half term I'll make a timetable and plan for the months ahead hopefully. Lmk if you have ideas too! xxx
Original post by Mayomikun123
I would just say practice! practice! practice! It sounds cliché but it actually works. I started doing it at the end of last year where I was getting Cs and even some Ds and Es, so I started doing intense revision and all the practice questions under the sun and this year I've been getting mostly As. The thing is, once you do most of the practice papers/questions available you get familiar with the format and what they are looking for (by also looking at the mark schemes), the questions never vary THAT much so you can usually just adapt the skills you have developed to what they are asking you. When you mark the papers it also helps you figure out what topics you need to focus on and then you can go back and revise those instead of going over things you already know. 4 months is plenty of time, just be consistent and diligent with your revision and put in that extra bit of effort with that A grade you want in mind and you will get there! x

Thank you soo much for offering me the motivation to keep working hard!! is there any specific technique to memorise the content before doing practice papers? xx
AHH! This is really reassuring as a lot of my classmates are doing fine except me lol! I think I'm just gonna start revising properly from now on as I can't afford wasting time. I'm sooo stressed Im worried I wont get the grades for medicine. I think in the half term I'll make a timetable and plan for the months ahead hopefully. Lmk if you have ideas too! xxx

Sounds good! I'll keep you updated if I find anything useful. Meanwhile, let’s work hard and try our best xxx

I think thats the trend you meant to get.
Ofc it would be good getting straight As throughtout the yr, but your usually covering new things, and then revising old things as well, and as the year goes on, you need to do more tests on newer topics. i think tests on newer things just shows how good you are on that specific topic. You get bet later as you have more time.

Personally in my term/Half term report in yr 13,
chem stayed at a B throughout the year (including mocks)
Bio went from a B in first half-term, to a C in end of term (mocks) and then a D in my end of half term test
Maths went from A to U to B (lol)

Ended with AAA in actual exams so nothing really added up lol.
Great news for me. I'm retaking the exams. I was a pretty much a straight A* student in Chemistry at A level but when the exams came I had personal problems and 1 was on Eid which made it difficult. I ended up 1 mark off an A* so here I go again sitting the papers just to achieve something I know I can. Sometimes life is so long.

why did you have to resit tho.
What course r u applying for
Original post by Banshee123
why did you have to resit tho.
What course r u applying for

I didn't have to for uni. More of a personal thing, you know? I worked hard and was an A* student but I had problems so only got an A. So I guess to prove a point to myself 🤷*♂️
I didn't have to for uni. More of a personal thing, you know? I worked hard and was an A* student but I had problems so only got an A. So I guess to prove a point to myself 🤷*♂️

When did you start intensely revising?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending