The Student Room Group

A-level OCR Chemistry Paper 1,2 and 3 Revision and Study Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muhammad Razak
I'll send it tomorrow to all who pm me. CBA now and I have to fish them out of all the various folders/ documents on my phone.

Could I also have those papers please?
5 months and 10 days until paper 1
How do u guys revise.
I'm gonna make notes for each topic and then during march I'll do exam papers.
Reply 62
Original post by mekaskccl
5 months and 10 days until paper 1
How do u guys revise.
I'm gonna make notes for each topic and then during march I'll do exam papers.

I’m gonna try the blurting technique and do papers along the way then papers under timed conditions without any help around March / April onwards
Original post by Sidd1
I’m gonna try the blurting technique and do papers along the way then papers under timed conditions without any help around March / April onwards

I'd advise doing all papers under timed conditions, even from now. It's because then you're really testing what you know and thus you'll realise what you need to learn
Reply 64
I'd advise doing all papers under timed conditions, even from now. It's because then you're really testing what you know and thus you'll realise what you need to learn

Oh okay yeah that’s very true :smile:
Guys what do u think the hardest topic in chem is
Analysis- e.g NMRs
How is everyone spreading out their revision and time?

Is there anyone resitting this year?

Does anyone have revision techniques or advice when it comes to PAGs and learning them and being able to apply them in questions or scenarios for questions?
Particularly instances when maths is involved or long mark maths questions worth 4-6 marks - mainly seen questions like this in organic chemistry? - any tips/advice when approaching such questions because I think it's easy to be intimidated by these questions and think that you don't know anything when really I probably do know it there's just a lot of information to take in from the question alone.

I'm planning on doing questions from PMT for each chapter, perhaps starting with the module 5 and module 6 stuff as it takes more time to understand fully and then going onto past papers 2-ish months before the exam. - though I will do the AS papers from the new spec and the old spec along the way to build up a bit of confidence and hone in on areas that I am clearly struggling in.

I hope everyone is doing well during this stressful time!! x
Original post by Cant do it

Organic
Reply 69
Original post by Irhakhalid
How is everyone spreading out their revision and time?

Is there anyone resitting this year?

Does anyone have revision techniques or advice when it comes to PAGs and learning them and being able to apply them in questions or scenarios for questions?
Particularly instances when maths is involved or long mark maths questions worth 4-6 marks - mainly seen questions like this in organic chemistry? - any tips/advice when approaching such questions because I think it's easy to be intimidated by these questions and think that you don't know anything when really I probably do know it there's just a lot of information to take in from the question alone.

I'm planning on doing questions from PMT for each chapter, perhaps starting with the module 5 and module 6 stuff as it takes more time to understand fully and then going onto past papers 2-ish months before the exam. - though I will do the AS papers from the new spec and the old spec along the way to build up a bit of confidence and hone in on areas that I am clearly struggling in.

I hope everyone is doing well during this stressful time!! x

Ohh you actually made a good point about PAGs and applying them to questions in the exams. It's so easy to kind've forget that you will be assessed on them and that it's not enough to just do the practical but really understand and apply it. They usually tend to ask like limitation/improvements questions. Or they could introduce the questions with "a student...." and they may have used wrong equipment. For example, when making up a standard solution you have to use a volumetric flask rather than a beaker as they measure volumes more accurately as opposed to a beaker. I remember seeing this in a paper can't remember for which year.

For anyone who has done or is currently doing Chapter 23 on Redox and Electrode potentials how are you finding it? Any tips on understanding half-equations? I personally find them so annoying! Also, the half-cell and hydrogen fuel cell stuff is a draaaag.
Reply 70
Original post by Cant do it

Ch.24 - transition metals topic the stereoisomer stuff and those 6 markers you always get in papers that are so long and you have to identify the "unknowns" I personally find it tricky.
How's everyone planning to revise from now up until the exams? I think I might just work my way up from doing pmt papers on as topics all the way to a-level topics, I was going to do notes but I just can't learn passively like that, I can only learn from reading the textbook and then attempting questions tbh
Original post by mekaskccl
Organic

What part of organic specifically? I felt like I messed up badly on building foundations during year 12 so I'm revisiting AS, hopefully I can bang out revision and work for AS asap so I can move onto A2 content as well - thankfully a lot of the A2 is linked with AS
Original post by esketitesketit
What part of organic specifically? I felt like I messed up badly on building foundations during year 12 so I'm revisiting AS, hopefully I can bang out revision and work for AS asap so I can move onto A2 content as well - thankfully a lot of the A2 is linked with AS

I guess just remembering it all. The reactions and mechanisms.
I'm going to revise AS tomorrow.
What websites/resources do you use?
Thanks in advance.
Original post by F12Ak
Anyone doing OCR B Salters?

Hiya! I am - I got 1 mark off an A last year so I'm resitting to meet my grade requirements for uni. I think only around 2000 people in the country do OCR B so there's not many of us.
Original post by dionne2503
Hi,
I'm doing OCR Chemistry and I just got my mock results back which was the 2019 papers and I literally got an E and D! I'm so embarrassed and worried because I need to get it to an A for the real thing because I want to do medicine! Tbh I didn't revise very well over the holidays but I'm really worried that it is going to be impossible to go from a D to an A in less than 4 months! Ahhh

Hi, I was in your situation this time last year (kept getting C's/B's all the time in practice tests and pasts papers and was applying for medicine). I did OCR B Salters and I'm going to link the revision guide that honestly saved my grades (even though I missed the grade I needed by 1 mark) - I think there's one for OCR A and one for OCR B so I'll link both :smile: Can't stress how much this revision guide helped me out

OCR A - A Level Chemistry for OCR A Revision Guide https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/a-level-chemistry-for-ocr-a-revision-guide/rob-ritchie/emma-poole/paperback/9780198351993.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4Y_Vgbqa5wIVSbDtCh2Z1A03EAQYByABEgK6sPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

OCR B - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Level-Salters-Advanced-Chemistry-Revision/dp/0198332920/ref=asc_df_0198332920/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310913487793&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16472660351408317603&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045850&hvtargid=pla-627858534437&psc=1&th=1&psc=1
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by emilieraine
Hi, I was in your situation this time last year (kept getting C's/B's all the time in practice tests and pasts papers and was applying for medicine). I did OCR B Salters and I'm going to link the revision guide that honestly saved my grades (even though I missed the grade I needed by 1 mark) - I think there's one for OCR A and one for OCR B so I'll link both :smile: Can't stress how much this revision guide helped me out

OCR A - A Level Chemistry for OCR A Revision Guide https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/a-level-chemistry-for-ocr-a-revision-guide/rob-ritchie/emma-poole/paperback/9780198351993.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4Y_Vgbqa5wIVSbDtCh2Z1A03EAQYByABEgK6sPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

OCR B - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Level-Salters-Advanced-Chemistry-Revision/dp/0198332920/ref=asc_df_0198332920/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310913487793&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16472660351408317603&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045850&hvtargid=pla-627858534437&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Would you say it’s better than the textbook by Pearson? (I’ll link it for reference)

https://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/secondary/Science/16Chemistry/OCR-A-level-Science-2015/ISBN/Student-Books/OCRASAlevelChemistryAStudentBook1ActiveBook.aspx

Hi! I did OCR B and used the textbook written by Oxford University Press so I’m not sure - I used both together but it’s still very useful because it has so many exam style practice questions with answers
Original post by emilieraine
Hi! I did OCR B and used the textbook written by Oxford University Press so I’m not sure - I used both together but it’s still very useful because it has so many exam style practice questions with answers

Ah okay, Thankyou!
I'll send it tomorrow to all who pm me. CBA now and I have to fish them out of all the various folders/ documents on my phone.

Can you please send it me? I will really appreciate it!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending