The Student Room Group

A-level OCR Chemistry Paper 1,2 and 3 Revision and Study Chat

Scroll to see replies

How is everyone doing with revision and generally?
Original post by Irhakhalid
How is everyone doing with revision and generally?

I personally feel like it’s easier to revise AS content but revising for A2 is quite a struggle as we haven’t finish content yet. But it’s a good idea to set a weekly checklist on what topics to revise and complete exam papers on.
How do you revise for Chemistry?
Original post by zahraxab
I personally feel like it’s easier to revise AS content but revising for A2 is quite a struggle as we haven’t finish content yet. But it’s a good idea to set a weekly checklist on what topics to revise and complete exam papers on.
How do you revise for Chemistry?

Hey !! Yh I understand so I kind of answered this already like what my plan is but I'm thinking of doing this;

"I'm planning on doing questions from PMT for each chapter, perhaps starting with the module 5 and module 6 stuff as it takes more time to understand fully and then going onto past papers 2-ish months before the exam. - though I will do the AS papers from the new spec and the old spec along the way to build up a bit of confidence and hone in on areas that I am clearly struggling in."

I already have flashcards made and stuff so right now I'm just trying to ingrain the definitions and transition metal things and generally anything which needs memorising like PAGs and procedures.

I hope you're doing well during this stressful time!! x
got our January mocks back today and I got A (86%) on organic and a D (48%) in inorganic 🙃🙃🙃 overall C guess I need to do more inorganic revising😭 predicted B need A for uni how did everyone else do on their mocks?

It’s amazing that our exams are in 4 months and I’m failing 1/2 of chemistry. We don’t even want to talk about maths. 🤡
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by jiminie95
got our January mocks back today and I got A (86%) on organic and a D (48%) in inorganic 🙃🙃🙃 overall C guess I need to do more inorganic revising😭 predicted B need A for uni how did everyone else do on their mocks?

That is literally me!!! My physical chemistry grade pulls my overall grade down, it’s so terrible.
Reply 85

I have them next week! Wow your organic is pretty good I'm the opposite I tend to do better in Physical & inorganic.

That is literally me!!! My physical chemistry grade pulls my overall grade down, it’s so terrible.

How do you two revise/get good marks on organic??
For me it's the other way round, I get better marks on inorganic and stuff....
Original post by paulkisho

You can just tell OCR love asking for reagents, conditions and mechanism questions. Those type of questions are just recalling and not memorising. Plus organic chemistry is just interesting.
Inorganic on the other hand... is just hard to learn and you can’t really expect to do well if you’re not 100% confident with the content. To revise I use different text books and websites such as the Pearson book, CGP book, chemrevise, chemguide and youtubers such as MaChemGuy and ASFC Chemistry.
How do you get good marks in inorganic and how do you revise for that?
You can just tell OCR love asking for reagents, conditions and mechanism questions. Those type of questions are just recalling and not memorising. Plus organic chemistry is just interesting.
Inorganic on the other hand... is just hard to learn and you can’t really expect to do well if you’re not 100% confident with the content. To revise I use different text books and websites such as the Pearson book, CGP book, chemrevise, chemguide and youtubers such as MaChemGuy and ASFC Chemistry.
How do you get good marks in inorganic and how do you revise for that?

Ah that is good, I will check out those youtube channels!
So for inorganic it's a bit like memorising as well, except all you have to memorise is some of the content and then the rest is just memorising how to answer the question. So for example a question on the trend of the periodic table, you have to know the overall trend, then the rest of the marks can be picked up by doing past questions. Once you do enough inorganic practise questions, you soon realise OCR love asking about trends, properties, redox etc.
Just do practise questions on inorganic topics from CGP book, chemguide, PMT, etc.
Reply 89
Original post by F12Ak
Anyone doing OCR B Salters?

Yepp - my school is doing Chemistry OCR B Salters. We are due to finish the course mid-February. How are you finding it and have finished covering all the content?
Original post by paulkisho

You just memorise the reaction pathways I made 2 posters on as and a2 reaction pathways. Add like the reagents and conditions. And that’s it...
Original post by Sidd1
I have them next week! Wow your organic is pretty good I'm the opposite I tend to do better in Physical & inorganic.

How r people good at inorganic and physical?
I learn all the stuff from the revision guides then try to do a question on pmt and don’t understand a single thing even with the mark scheme 😂😭.
Reply 92
How r people good at inorganic and physical?
I learn all the stuff from the revision guides then try to do a question on pmt and don’t understand a single thing even with the mark scheme 😂😭.

That’s me with organic 😂
Reply 93
Original post by Sky06
Yepp - my school is doing Chemistry OCR B Salters. We are due to finish the course mid-February. How are you finding it and have finished covering all the content?

We’ve just got CD left but we’re starting that in a few weeks as we’ve got our mocks in 2 weeks, I found AS really good but so far struggling with A2, PL was my worst bit.
Reply 94
Original post by F12Ak
We’ve just got CD left but we’re starting that in a few weeks as we’ve got our mocks in 2 weeks, I found AS really good but so far struggling with A2, PL was my worst bit.

I feel sorry for you OCR B salters people my teacher said that's the worst examboard!
Reply 95
Original post by Sidd1
I feel sorry for you OCR B salters people my teacher said that's the worst examboard!

AS (year 1) is really calm, it's A2 that is hellish.
Original post by F12Ak
AS (year 1) is really calm, it's A2 that is hellish.

couldn’t agree more with you
Original post by Muhammad Razak
Good luck. I kinda felt the same way but I was in a better position to which you are now. However, it is definitely doable. I may have a few papers. I'll check and send it later to you by pm. You can really do it. From now is the perfect time. If you work hard you can do it.

can you please send them to me too?
Reply 98
For people doing Salters B how did you find good resources online to practice?? As I cant find anything except for the past papers and PMT is not great for our spec
Reply 99
Original post by geog07
For people doing Salters B how did you find good resources online to practice?? As I cant find anything except for the past papers and PMT is not great for our spec

I use old spec questions on PMT, quite a bit of it is the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending