The Student Room Group

Motivation to Revise

post removed
We all know how tedious studying is but just like video games try to make it more fun.
And since u feel it’s a chore for you, why don’t u try to do it bit by bit-you can study say 30mins and do something else that interest you for another 10mins then come back and study for another 30mins by the time you realize you’ve covered a lot. The key here is try to come back to study immediately ur set time is up.

Studying is more fun when you can understand and solve examples that are challenging.
Reply 2
yes i often procastinate a lot and find at school i revise more when i set targets e.g set a trget next week to get like 70 percent, and week after 80 percent. eventually keep getting better results and reach target. near exam you find that your results are better and set targets for how long to revise can help.
1) Work smarter, not harder. I know everyone always says you need to work smarter and not harder, but it can be applied to every area of your life. For example if you're always exhausted, theres clearly something which you're doing that you don't need to. Obviously go to a doctor to make sure theres nothing underlying there, but if you're losing energy in the morning because every day you wake up, make your bed, make yourself a proper breakfast, tidy your room, do some basic housework, and so on you need to start looking at areas you can cut back on. Make your bed after dinner if you need to, for example. The same can be said for time spent at school: do your best to learn what keeps your attention and try to reinforce that within your study sessions at home. Learn how your brain works, before you try and make your brain work harder.
2) Learn how you study. I cannot just sit and study for hours on end, I have to take regular breaks. I also can't just read and absorb information, I like to sum up a page in anywhere from 1-5 post-it notes so that instead of having to read a whole page, I just have to read a few sentences. This can make my books anywhere from two times to five times as thick, but it means that I can study effectively and quickly instead of having to worry about not only paying attention for hours, but retaining information.
3) Work now so you have to do less later. Your mileage with this may vary depending on your current subjects. For example i'm doing a subject I haven't touched before this year for my degree, so i'm reading now before lectures start next week. This way I don't feel inherently swamped when lectures start, i'll feel like I have a general idea of whats happening. So for you this may mean preempting the fact that you're good at basic algebra and terrible at Pythagoras, and as such strengthening that muscle so you're not desperately trying to understand it a week before your final exams.
4) Set yourself a realistic goal. You said you'd like to achieve higher, but if you're predicted a 5 in English there is absolutely no reason to work towards a 9 at this stage. All you'll achieve is causing undue stress, getting confused with grade boundaries, and ending up in a scenario where not only may you not get a 9, but you could struggle to even get a 5. I always suggest aiming one grade higher than what you can comfortably get, and make sure you know exactly what is needed from it. After this just take a look at what else you can do to beef up your answers and try to scrape as many marks as careful in the current banding instead of trying to scramble for one or two in the next banding up.
5) Make it fun! Believe it or not, but revision can be enjoyable. For me it is literally as small as writing my revision notes in gel pens, because then I don't just find a boring notebook waiting for me when I get in and figure I should get some work done. Find the novelty which makes it enjoyable for you!
Wishing you the best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending