The Student Room Group

12 years in prison for murder

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/7509783.stm

What does everyone think of ths story?
This has really hit a nerve with me. The attack was carried out in a town not too far from mine so it's been in the press a lot. I'm personally disgusted by the sentence. At the end of the day after the age of 14 people are meant to be treated like adults in court, so why can't they be sentenced the same too? The person whose been convicted had no motive for what he did, the evidence proved it was him and he knew what he was doing. Surely he deserves a life sentence. In 12 years time he'll not even be 30 yet, he can come out and start his life over. The victim and her family's lives will never be the same again.

I'm curious to know what is everyone else's opinions?
Do you think this is justice? Are sentences too lenient?

Scroll to see replies

I think that as he was that young, he should be given a secon chance. 12 years is a long time.
Reply 2
nolongerhearthemusic
I think that as he was that young, he should be given a second chance. 12 years is a long time.

This, I think is an important point. These sorts of situations bring out (in part at least) the question of what the purpose of the prison system is: punishment/rehabilitation/both/other. I think, judging by the age of D, he should not just be punished, he should be allowed, not so much a 'second chance' but, the opportunity to rehabilitate.
Reply 3
I would personally stick the ****er on an electric chair and be done with it.
Meoldmucker
I would personally stick the ****er on an electric chair and be done with it.

That makes no sense. Either murder is wrong or it isn't.
Reply 5
nolongerhearthemusic

:confused:
Reply 6
welshprincess
I'm curious to know what is everyone else's opinions?
My only opinion is that a short news article is insufficient evidence to form an opinion on the sentence.
Reply 7
I watched a program the other day about some women protestings that life wasn't life. She pissed me right off lol! Bitter old lady! She thought that all people who commit murder should get LIFE in prison, with no chance of parole.

The victims family will never be the same, your right, but how is keeping him in prison another 5/10/15/20/25 years going to make any difference. My stance, is that theres no point ruining two lives, he deserves a second chance. Theres a reason the defendent has rights, and the deceased doesnt - their dead!

I think how sentences currently work is perfectly fine. Life sentence, with a minimum sentence that has to be served. Parole can then be offered, depending on the inmates progress. If someone recieves 18 years minimum sentence, they have a chance at having atleast some sort of life outside prison, increase it by much and its just too late. I can't see any improvements to be made here personally.
Reply 8
Whats got to me most is that this person had no motive for this crime whatsoever. If he was just a year older he'd be facing a life sentence, if someone is capable of such a violent attack why should their age play a factor in their sentencing. He's in a young offenders institute for a few years. Young offender institutes are a joke, someone who is in a young offenders institute was interviewed last week and even he said that it's like being in a holiday camp. People are always talking about reducing youth crime, if this is the kind of sentences that young people are going to be handed out for such serious crimes, its no wonder that crime is still on the rise.
Meoldmucker

Either murder is okay and you can murder anyone you like (dog walkers, people you don't like, 14 year old murderers) or it is wrong to murder anyone.
Reply 10
Meoldmucker

Well, you're wanting to murder someone, for murdering someone.
welshprincess
People are always talking about reducing youth crime, if this is the kind of sentences that young people are going to be handed out for such serious crimes, its no wonder that crime is still on the rise.

Yeah, I'm sure teenagers thinking of committing a crime of this nature in the future will be thinking "only 12 years? Murder it is!"
Reply 12
nolongerhearthemusic

its called a consequence!

i think a few hours of 'discussion' with the father/brother would do nicely.
Reply 13
Theres always got to be a difference in sentencing from adults to children though, and if he was an adult he wouldn't of got that much more. Life imprisonment sure, but there would be a minimum sentence that had to be served.
fabo89
its called a consequence!

Or it's called... having morals. Murder is wrong.
nolongerhearthemusic
Either murder is okay and you can murder anyone you like (dog walkers, people you don't like, 14 year old murderers) or it is wrong to murder anyone.

Oh. Murder of innocent people is not ok. The murder of someone who has committed horrendous crimes is ok. How is it ok that someone murders someone then gets 12 years in jail? An eye for an eye imo :yep:
Reply 16
nolongerhearthemusic
Or it's called... having morals. Murder is wrong.

some people deserve to die,just accept it.

and quit making blanket statements,so would you not kill someone to protect your child,sibling etc??
Meoldmucker
An eye for an eye imo :yep:

Well, that's childish.
nolongerhearthemusic
Well, that's childish.

:no:
fabo89
some people deserve to die,just accept it.

and quit making blanket statements,so would you not kill someone to protect your child,sibling etc??

No one deserves to die against their own will.

I might, but that does not in any way make it the moral thing to do.

Latest

Trending

Trending