The Student Room Group

Why do people see 18 year olds as kids

Why do people see 18 year olds as kids I mean I know there teenagers but the law don't agree with them.
It depends who you ask and how you interpet it.

In the eyes of the law if you get convicted age 16 to 21 they put you in a young offenders institution rather than a mainstream prison.

On a biological level most of our body will have finished developing at 18, mainly height. Though can continue later on rarely. The brain tends to finish maturing in the 20s.

In the UK we are deemed fit to learn to drive a car at 17 which some take granted as a way to get from A to B but it can actually serve as a deadly murder weapon. Drivers have a big responsibility while on the roads and as such 17 is the age we deem fit to have such judgement while driving.

Then there's drinking alcohol at 18, smoking cigarettes at 16 (though you need to be 18 to purchase).

There's a lot of age restrictions etc but as you can see most are around 18.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Why do people see 18 year olds as kids I mean I know there teenagers but the law don't agree with them.

I think it’s because they don’t yet have any adult experience. I only started feeling like an adult at 22 where I felt that I could understand the world better and know how to live alone and compromise and get jobs and contribute and be independent. And I think that’s a lot of peoples view as well
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous928384
It depends who you ask and how you interpet it.

In the eyes of the law if you get convicted age 16 to 21 they put you in a young offenders institution rather than a mainstream prison.

On a biological level most of our body will have finished developing at 18, mainly height. Though can continue later on rarely. The brain tends to finish maturing in the 20s.

In the UK we are deemed fit to learn to drive a car at 17 which some take granted as a way to get from A to B but it can actually serve as a deadly murder weapon. Drivers have a big responsibility while on the roads and as such 17 is the age we deem fit to have such judgement while driving.

Then there's drinking alcohol at 18, smoking cigarettes at 16 (though you need to be 18 to purchase).

There's a lot of age restrictions etc but as you can see most are around 18.

I live in America
Original post by Anonymous #2
I think it’s because they don’t yet have any adult experience. I only started feeling like an adult at 22 where I felt that I could understand the world better and know how to live alone and compromise and get jobs and contribute and be independent. And I think that’s a lot of peoples view as well

For me I felt an adult around 18 or 19 mainly because during college I was regularly hooking up with my best friend's mother who was way older (she was 58 when we started) until I left for uni at 19. I feel it made me feel more mature, faster
Original post by Anonymous #1

you are 0 years old in adult years.
Original post by Anonymous #3
For me I felt an adult around 18 or 19 mainly because during college I was regularly hooking up with my best friend's mother who was way older (she was 58 when we started) until I left for uni at 19. I feel it made me feel more mature, faster

This can’t be real lmao
Reply 7
As a teenager im 17 im not trying to infantilize 18 and 19 year olds but I see them as teenage kids
18 is just an arbitrary number for legal purposes, there's got be a point where we classify someone as an adult and it just so happens that it's 18. But mentally, not many 18 year olds are really adults in the true sense of the word. Being an adult is about life experience and that's limited at 18.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending