The Student Room Group

Leaving sixth form?

Hi I’m in year 12 first year of sixth form and have quit my sixth form as I am refusing to go. (Please don’t convince me to go back because i literally do not care) my mum will not accept accept that I won’t go and she is saying that as the school will involve social services they will be round to our house. What will happen when social services come round and I directly tell them I refuse to go? Where will I get sent? Is this illegal? Will I be put into prison? I do technically sort of have a half confirmed place in a school in Alfreton (Another town around 1 hour from where I live Sheffield) the school there are considering paying for the travel and I would be prepared to go there however there’s a large chance I won’t get in and if I don’t then I will be refusing to go to this sixth form in Sheffield. Will I be homeless as my mum is saying that if social can’t sort me anything she will make me homeless herself. Thanks
Original post by Lukàš Kovačevič
Hi I’m in year 12 first year of sixth form and have quit my sixth form as I am refusing to go. (Please don’t convince me to go back because i literally do not care) my mum will not accept accept that I won’t go and she is saying that as the school will involve social services they will be round to our house. What will happen when social services come round and I directly tell them I refuse to go? Where will I get sent? Is this illegal? Will I be put into prison? I do technically sort of have a half confirmed place in a school in Alfreton (Another town around 1 hour from where I live Sheffield) the school there are considering paying for the travel and I would be prepared to go there however there’s a large chance I won’t get in and if I don’t then I will be refusing to go to this sixth form in Sheffield. Will I be homeless as my mum is saying that if social can’t sort me anything she will make me homeless herself. Thanks

The law requires that young people continue in education, employment or training until the age of 18. However, enforcement does not form part of the current law - there is no sanction for non-participation.

As a result, no action will be taken by the police or by social services. You do, however, need to worry about what your mum will do! :smile:
Original post by DataVenia
The law requires that young people continue in education, employment or training until the age of 18. However, enforcement does not form part of the current law - there is no sanction for non-participation.

As a result, no action will be taken by the police or by social services. You do, however, need to worry about what your mum will do! :smile:

so where could I end up if social services take me away which is what my mum is saying? What will it be and what will I do? Or could it be youth offenders prison? that’s a much better option than being made homeless by my mum
so where could I end up if social services take me away which is what my mum is saying? What will it be and what will I do? Or could it be youth offenders prison? that’s a much better option than being made homeless by my mum

Your mum is talking nonsense. As I said above "no action will be taken by the police or by social services". That's not to say that your mum won't kick you out of the house for being a lazy, scrounging, teenager (I don't know whether you are, or course, I'm just imagining what she might say).

Would she be placated if you got job, or an apprenticeship, or something like that? Do you actually have any plans for what you do what to do (other than your desire to not attend your sixth form)?

Your mum is talking nonsense. As I said above "no action will be taken by the police or by social services". That's not to say that your mum won't kick you out of the house for being a lazy, scrounging, teenager (I don't know whether you are, or course, I'm just imagining what she might say).

Would she be placated if you got job, or an apprenticeship, or something like that? Do you actually have any plans for what you do what to do (other than your desire to not attend your sixth form)?

Yes I have a sort of confined place at another sixth form or alternatively would be interested in getting a non manual job. I have 11 B grade GCSEs. However, no matter what I do if I don’t go to the exact six for my mum once I’m being kicked out of this house
Yes I have a sort of confined place at another sixth form or alternatively would be interested in getting a non manual job. I have 11 B grade GCSEs. However, no matter what I do if I don’t go to the exact six for my mum once I’m being kicked out of this house

So, if you know you're going to get kicked out you need to start making plans for that. Can you crash at a friends place for a bit?

So, if you know you're going to get kicked out you need to start making plans for that. Can you crash at a friends place for a bit?

No going into social services accommodation is my only option
I have no idea what it will be like though
No going into social services accommodation is my only option
I have no idea what it will be like though

Understood. Be aware that you will actively need to seek help from either the local authority (the council) or social services. Shelter has a nice overview of what might happen here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending