The Student Room Group

The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi you all,

I appreciate your comment and sorry about these rumour things! I wasn't sure about them and that's for clearing everything up!

To Chewwy:
Yep, i'm totally aware that Emma is not the best but overall, I think it seems to be stereotyped as the "workaholics" of cambridge, and it consistently topsof the tompkin's table.
I remember someone on either this forum or another mentioned once that the admissinso tutor at Emma said, an average Emma medic has 96-7% UMS on average and their BMAT are consistently high (around 6+ in sec 1 and 2) - that's pretty high isn't it? Compared to other colleges (a friend of mine asked about St John's and said its average is 94%, slightly lower).
And I know UMS and BMATs are not the be all and end all, but it does show something, right? that's also why I'm wondering whether it might be slightly "luckier" if one applied to a relatively "less academic" college.
xixixiwater
that's also why I'm wondering whether it might be slightly "luckier" if one applied to a relatively "less academic" college.

You might be, but you might really not be. My college went up 7places on the Tompkins table last year, and Selwyn were at the top, not Emma..If everybody else uses your logic there could be a mass rush for the supposedly 'less academic' colleges making them more competitive after all. Just go for the one you like most.
Nonsmoking
That's a kind of daft system - I have friends at Pembroke who were not only from the same school, but have been going out since being at school as well! Also, if the college doesn't want one of you but thinks you're still good quality then they'll pool you. Admittedly that's not a perfect solution though...

Anyway, what about Emma? Also a nice college. Personally I've found being slightly off the beaten track is nice because you get fewer tourists, and everywhere central is very accessible by foot or bike.

Haha, same problem with that one XD those are the only 2 which have already been 'dibbed' though :tongue:
OK, if I were to make a shortlist of colleges then, could you possibly say which ones might fit my criteria best? Mostly disregard distance in this case ^^
Christ's
Clare
Downing
Caius
Jesus
(Pembroke - I might ask my friend tomorrow if he's definite about applying there)

edit: Forgot to say - yes it's a really stupid system, but my school is stupid XD they don't let people apply deferred, well, they do, but only after much glaring and telling them that they should apply in their gap year or they won't get in. :s-smilie:
Reply 583
xixixiwater
that's also why I'm wondering whether it might be slightly "luckier" if one applied to a relatively "less academic" college.

Just wondering what you mean by this? I can make neither head nor tail of it.
Sockpirate
Haha, same problem with that one XD those are the only 2 which have already been 'dibbed' though :tongue:
OK, if I were to make a shortlist of colleges then, could you possibly say which ones might fit my criteria best? Mostly disregard distance in this case ^^
Christ's
Clare
Downing
Caius
Jesus
(Pembroke - I might ask my friend tomorrow if he's definite about applying there)

It's honestly really difficult for me to say. I have no idea about the accomodation or libraries at most of them, except for rumour, and most people won't have enough specific knowledge about things like that to advise you about multiple colleges. I'd recommend you just visit as many colleges as possible, get a feel for the 'vibe' (you don't have to go to an open day, but it helps). When I was choosing colleges I had similar criteria to yours, but I also wanted a strong dramatic presence (Pembroke Players) and a slightly off-centre location - so the more criteria you can think of to whittle it down, the better. For example, Jesus has a reputation for being a very strong college for sports. You'll love your college wherever you end up!

Best of luck!
aKarma
Just wondering what you mean by this? I can make neither head nor tail of it.

Presumably just that there might be weaker competition for places. As Craghyrax said though, the strenght and weakness of different colleges changes drastically each year. While some are consistantly high or low for a number of years,you could just as easily apply to a 'weak' college along with hundred of other applicants with a similar idea, and it'd go shooting up the rankings.
Llamaaa
I personally wouldn't regard Pembroke as central. Central compared to Fitz, Homerton, Girton and the like, but it isn't central to the degree that johns, kings, caius, trinity, sidney and so forth are. It's a few minutes walk from the centre.

See I wouldn't agree with that. What is it more central to? Pembroke is right next to the department, right by Soul Tree and Revs and closer to other clubs and bars than many other 'central' colleges. I really don't think that by that standard Johns and Trinity are particularly central at all.
Reply 587
I regard central as the centre of the university, and the centre of the university is Great St Mary's pretty much- hence the having to be within 3 miles of the church to keep term and so forth. It's pretty artificial, but that area is also the centre of the original city and is central to most of the important things (note central does not mean right next door to)- it's about 7 minutes from sidgwick, 5 minutes from the downing site, 7 minutes from the new museums site and so forth. City-wise it's next to the town hall, near all the "city centre" shops, it's referred to as the city centre zone by the council, near a lot of restaurants, by the river which was the original location of the city- all these things make the area central to me.

Using your logic I could say that Selwyn would be central for me if I studied at the Sigwick site and took part in rugby- that's even more artificial than saying the centre of the university is the centre of the town. Pembroke may be close to certain bars and one particular site but that doesn't make it central- it makes it convenient for certain people.
Not at all, I see central as that which has proximity to all the things you are likely to want/require during your time as a student. In such a case, Pembroke is significantly more central than the likes of Trinity etc.
Hi,

Some advice on colleges would be most appreciated! Applying for Medicine (studying Bio,Chem,Phys,Maths (to A2) and History AS) and will be applying post A-levels, looking at :

Trinity
St Johns
G&C
Emma
Downing
Clare
Christs

Any advice? Would like a slightly bigger college. Do any have any particular reputations at all? Any have a particularly good/bad rep. for accomodation?

Thanks.
Reply 590
medic1234567890
Any advice? Would like a slightly bigger college. Do any have any particular reputations at all? Any have a particularly good/bad rep. for accomodation?

St. Johns have a reputation for awesomeness :awesome:...
Reply 591
medic1234567890

Caius has a reputation of being THE medic college, and we take the most (around 25 a year). And we're a big college (with around 160 undergrads a year) I wouldn't say we have a particular reputation with regards to accommodation, I think it's all nice :smile:
smilepea
Caius has a reputation of being THE medic college, and we take the most (around 25 a year). And we're a big college (with around 160 undergrads a year) I wouldn't say we have a particular reputation with regards to accommodation, I think it's all nice :smile:

Yep, I've heard this as well.. :smile:
xixixiwater
Hi you all,

I appreciate your comment and sorry about these rumour things! I wasn't sure about them and that's for clearing everything up!

To Chewwy:
Yep, i'm totally aware that Emma is not the best but overall, I think it seems to be stereotyped as the "workaholics" of cambridge, and it consistently topsof the tompkin's table.
I remember someone on either this forum or another mentioned once that the admissinso tutor at Emma said, an average Emma medic has 96-7% UMS on average and their BMAT are consistently high (around 6+ in sec 1 and 2) - that's pretty high isn't it? Compared to other colleges (a friend of mine asked about St John's and said its average is 94%, slightly lower).
And I know UMS and BMATs are not the be all and end all, but it does show something, right? that's also why I'm wondering whether it might be slightly "luckier" if one applied to a relatively "less academic" college.

We're certainly not the 'workaholics of Cambridge'! We all work very hard, but like in all of Cambridge, that's definitely counterbalanced with a 'play hard' (and yes, I am cringing at the cliche as I'm typing it). The medics are most definitely not workaholics - they do work a lot, and a lot is expected of them, but some of them are among the biggest drinkers and partiers in college (along with the linguists naturally :tongue:). One of my best friends is a medic, and he definitely procrastinates almost as much as I do! That's not to say that Emma medics aren't pushed hard - I'm pretty sure the supervisors here would like them to overtake Caius - but that doesn't necessarily make them all workaholics.
Hi!

What's the situation with college societies and facilities? Do people from other colleges get to use the facilities or do anything with the societies? I'm looking through colleges and like seeing poetry and chess societies dotted around and LOVE the theatre, so if I were to go to a college with no theatre of its own and without these exact societies, how much participation could I have in these activities?

Reply 595
cadaeibfeceh
Hi!

What's the situation with college societies and facilities? Do people from other colleges get to use the facilities or do anything with the societies? I'm looking through colleges and like seeing poetry and chess societies dotted around and LOVE the theatre, so if I were to go to a college with no theatre of its own and without these exact societies, how much participation could I have in these activities?

There are lots of university wide societies and clubs, and most of the facilites are university-wide I believe. There are obviously college only societies too but not that many I don't think.

And for theatre theres always the Cambridge footlights! (although they are technically comedy but there you go :yep:)
Footlights won't get you all that far for theatre, its comedy. The ADC is university-wide student theatre. Theatre is the one thing where there is loads of crossover, because anyone can audition for any play being put on, regardless of college. Info about auditions all go up on a single website so you can choose what to audition for, regardless of College.
cadaeibfeceh
Hi!

We have the Cambridge University Amateur Drama Company, which is very active and turns out quality performances all through term. Then there are other non college based drama societies like the Pembroke Players. Then many colleges if not all have their own theatres and drama societies, which put on performances throughout the year. A few college societies are restricted to college members, but a huge number aren't. For instance you find students from different colleges joining choirs in colleges that aren't their own. Clare, Trinity and Peterhouse Politics societies always advertise their speaker events to as wide an audience as possible. Clare Cellars - which is Clare's college bar - has comedy, jazz and D&D evenings open to the University. Seriously, the examples are endless... basically there are so many societies, both University wide and also based in colleges but open to the University, that you never have time to go to everything you want to, and often find yourself choosing between four or five events on at the same time.
Reply 598
I suppose for proper theatre no it won't :wink:. I'm a bit of a philistine when it comes to acting, if its on a stage its theatre to me :biggrin:.
Mithra
There are lots of university wide societies and clubs, and most of the facilites are university-wide I believe. There are obviously college only societies too but not that many I don't think.

And for theatre theres always the Cambridge footlights! (although they are technically comedy but there you go :yep:)

Craghyrax
We have the Cambridge University Amateur Drama Company, which is very active and turns out quality performances all through term. Then there are other non college based drama societies like the Pembroke Players. Then many colleges if not all have their own theatres and drama societies, which put on performances throughout the year. A few college societies are restricted to college members, but a huge number aren't. For instance you find students from different colleges joining choirs in colleges that aren't their own. Clare, Trinity and Peterhouse Politics societies always advertise their speaker events to as wide an audience as possible. Clare Cellars - which is Clare's college bar - has comedy, jazz and D&D evenings open to the University. Seriously, the examples are endless... basically there are so many societies, both University wide and also based in colleges but open to the University, that you never have time to go to everything you want to, and often find yourself choosing between four or five events on at the same time.

Thanks, I assume these theatrical societies being open includes the technical side of things?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending