The Student Room Group

The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

Scroll to see replies

phen
I can't imagine how nerve-wracking it was to be on the brink of attending Cambridge and then almost 'losing' it all.
At least, I'd be losing it. (i.e. going crazy.) lol.

I found out at midnight that I'd missed my STEP offer, then didn't find out until the morning that they were taking me anyway.
phen
I can't imagine how nerve-wracking it was to be on the brink of attending Cambridge and then almost 'losing' it all.

The wait of over two weeks from getting my Scottish results was unpleasant, to say the least. :o:
Reply 1142
fumblewomble
No, my post on tactical college choice applies in the same way even for small subjects. They won't take you unless the think that you're really good. And if the college doesn't have any applicants for architecture who they think are really good then they'll get some out of the pool. They are perfectly able to reject every architecture candidate who applies to them if none are good enough.

yes. What if there are more 'really good' applicants than places available? surely this won't be rare for a subject that normally takes 2 applicants per college..
SSze
yes. What if there are more 'really good' applicants than places available? surely this won't be rare for a subject that normally takes 2 applicants per college..

This is where the winter pool comes in to play. They would take as many people as possible (although at a small college this probably isn't negotiable. They might be able to take 3 applicants, but probably not more), then the others get pooled. Another college will probably be short of really good applicants, so you have a good chance of an offer there.
Peterhouse is totally gay, hence why I applied
ForGreatJustice
Peterhouse is totally gay, hence why I applied

Indeed; not only is every person at that college a homosexual, but it's not unheard of to find them openly engaging in sexual activities whilst studying.
Homophobe!
for god's sake dont be ridiculous.
i have nothing against gay people - im one of the least homophobic people you will ever find, but i just want to know genuinely what people think of these colleges!
i have several gay friends and a family member who is gay so dont take that tone with me
gingersnap_08
Do Queens' students eat in the beautiful old hall or the new thing? I know this isn't really a priority, just curious

"Beautiful?" I went for a dinner in their hall a few months ago and found it disgustingly tacky, something to do with the multicoloured stripes on the ceiling...

What you'll find is everyone has a different opinion on different colleges. I'm at one of the colleges most considered to look like a "car park" (Robinson) but do I care?? Nope, but what I do appreciate is that our college is sensibly laid out with plenty of bathrooms, kitchens, central heating and everything else that makes it comfortable. Also I think you'll find that pretty much every old college has some nasty 60s accomodation block (normally set aside for first years), hidden somewhere. If they didn't then they wouldn't have space for as many people.

Oh and in answer to your original question I think that if, by the "new thing", you mean the Fitzpat, then Queens' students don't eat there.
gingersnap_08
Righty.
Well I'm applying to Cambridge this October and I am stuck about my college decision, (yes, the age old problem.)
My teacher is reccommending Peterhouse, Clare and Queens' because other people from my school have gone there but I have no idea which to choose, (if any of those.)
Apparently Peterhouse is gay...
Quenns' looks like a car park, (well the bit over the river)
Clare's accommodation is an irritating distance.
Any opinions on these or any of the other colleges would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

As far as I can tell, stereotypes are there for fun so you can take the piss out of other colleges once you've got into your own, rather than a basis for important decisions. I'd have a look at the alternative prospectus :smile: http://www.cusu.cam.ac.uk/prospective/prospectus/
LegallyBlonde2.0
In the new building, but very friendly. They have an old hall for formals, so you'll have the opportunity to dine in Harry Potter setting.

http://www.queensconferences.com/images/content/cripps%20hall.jpg

Peterhouse is not that bad though, it's opposite to Pembroke College which is another cool college.

Have you considered King's ?

Yay Harry Potter!
I've looked at Pembroke which I LOVE but it seems majorly competitive (more than some) and there is a written test for my subject.
I didn't even look at kings because it's so popular and I don't think I'd have a hope in hell
Reply 1154
I need some help. I'm applying for bionatsci but really not sure about college choice. Its between Selwyn, Downing and Jesus and I know everyone has different opinions but I would really like to hear what people think? Thanks :smile:
OK, step 1 is to ignore what your teacher says. Pick a college you like rather than one other people from your school liked.

But you might have to be a bit less critical, most colleges either have more modern buildings or accommodation not on site. Perhaps Trinity?
jesus is lovely :smile:
all the accommodation is either in college or just across the road.
we have one of the best college bars

its central, but not tooo central, so we dont get all the tourists.
have our own sports grounds on site, and very very near to the boathouse (if your into sports)

go have a look round :smile:
Yeah I know...
I think I'm either going to go for Queens' or Pembroke because they're both great. Trinity is lovely but HUGE
Thoughts on which one?
For the people dithering over Queens', reasons why I picked it:

New and old, so get the luxuries of modern accommodation and still that "Cambridgey" feel.

Nice size, not too daunting so you still feel appreciated yet not too small that if you don't like someone you can't avoid them.

Pretty large number of my subject (NatSci) without it being a mostly male college like some.

Accommodation provided for 3 years on site, whereas some colleges you have to stay far out for some years.

Excellent location for nearly every subject.

Reputation for having pretty good ents and for being pretty friendly and lively.
TillyOB
I need some help. I'm applying for bionatsci but really not sure about college choice. Its between Selwyn, Downing and Jesus and I know everyone has different opinions but I would really like to hear what people think? Thanks :smile:

Personally, I would choose Jesus from that selection, but that's just my opinion. It's really all a matter of personal preference! Take a look at the accomodation/facitilies at each college and decide what you'd want most? Pick the one closest to the science site? In the end, they're not that different. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending