The Student Room Group

The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Ah, but:

a) Christ's isn't as hardworking as people think. For one, we've slowly been getting worse. For another, compared to some of the people from other colleges i've met, we barely do anything!

b) Queen's Ents are open to everyone, i believe :wink: And if you're not at the party but your room is nearby, you get loud music keeping you up.
Omg this thread is immense!!

Does anyone here have any views on Magdalene and Peterhouse? I've got a place on an Masters starting 2010, and I put those two colleges down as my choices, haven't heard which one I've got yet - I'd like to be prepared before September!
londonlawguy

Does anyone here have any views on Magdalene and Peterhouse? I've got a place on an Masters starting 2010, and I put those two colleges down as my choices, haven't heard which one I've got yet - I'd like to be prepared before September!

Hi!

I'm not sure if you've seen this website already, but it has views and ratings of the all colleges, which might be useful.

http://www.oxbridgecolleges.com/main.php?select_uni=Cambridge&select_college=Peterhouse

http://www.oxbridgecolleges.com/main.php?select_uni=Cambridge&select_college=Magdalene+College

Both colleges seem to be very good looking and elegant, they are both very old and similarly sized, and both are pretty centrally located... so in quite a few ways there is little to tell them apart.
Peterhouse may be closer to lectures than Magdalene.

But Magdalene does have a dog cemetary. I do not kid.
T-o dore
Hi!

I'm not sure if you've seen this website already, but it has views and ratings of the all colleges, which might be useful.

http://www.oxbridgecolleges.com/main.php?select_uni=Cambridge&select_college=Peterhouse

http://www.oxbridgecolleges.com/main.php?select_uni=Cambridge&select_college=Magdalene+College

Both colleges seem to be very good looking and elegant, they are both very old and similarly sized, and both are pretty centrally located... so in quite a few ways there is little to tell them apart.

Thanks for that, that's a really useful website!! Wish I'd known about it before I filled in my application, it would have been useful.

Still, Peterhouse and Magdalene both look really nice - I guess it's the people who make the experience as well, so I hope the people are nice as well (if anyone wants to chip in with their experiences of Magdalene and Peterhouse students, that would be appreciated :biggrin: )
gethsemane342
Peterhouse may be closer to lectures than Magdalene.

But Magdalene does have a dog cemetary. I do not kid.

You have to be joking :eek:

That's mad!! Why, for pity's sake?? Have they never seen the movie 'Pet Cemetary'?? I may be killed in my bed by zombie dog things!!
londonlawguy
You have to be joking :eek:

That's mad!! Why, for pity's sake?? Have they never seen the movie 'Pet Cemetary'?? I may be killed in my bed by zombie dog things!!

Nope, completely serious. It's the one part of Cambridge my family really remembers. It's where they bury their old mascots, i think.

And now i'm scared of zombie dogs... don't think i can sleep tonight ... :p:
Reply 1387
Iepnauy
I know I'm only in year 11 but I'm already planning for Uni, I like to look ahead and prepare myself :smile:. My dad works for the RSC at the headquarters in Cambridge so we already have a house near Cambridge, so hence me wanting to apply here :smile: it'll be convinent for living ect.

Also, I've actually already visited the colleges on days when I went to visit my dad.
I suppose I'm not "mature" enough to fully understand the complexity and history of each college but I have read about it on the websites.

I'm a huge fan of racket sports - mainly badminton :wink:
But I'm also someone who is extremely musical, ATCl Diploma in Piano, and currently working towards that way in Violin.

However... I will be applying to Cambridge for Medicine :wink: (I'm dead set on this), and I was wondering which college would allow me to do well in Medicine (yeah, I know some colleges push their students more) but also allow me the freedom to use the music facilities as well as the sports areas.

:smile:

Go for Caius!
http://babylon.acad.cai.cam.ac.uk/admissions/subjects/medicine/index.php
"the best medical college"
If it's anything like this year half the people who get into Caius will be on TSR.
Plus I remember reading somewhere they like music and are also good for sports, so matches all your criteria.
Only negative is it's also one of the most competive colleges for medicine (due to its rep), so if you get rejected you may feel like "what if I'd applied to less competitive college X:frown: ".
Reply 1388
Caius food has a reputation for being godawful, and you have to eat at college for a certain number of nights.
gethsemane342
Nope, completely serious. It's the one part of Cambridge my family really remembers. It's where they bury their old mascots, i think.

And now i'm scared of zombie dogs... don't think i can sleep tonight ... :p:

Just keep your windows closed, and don't leave any open tins of winalot lying around, and if you hear any creepy howling........ :hide:
Reply 1390
tih
Ignore this. There's a pool system whihc means that if you apply to a particularly competitive college for your subject your chances of getting into Cambridge still remain the same as if you'd have applied elsewhere.

Read about it: http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/apply/#after

On tactical college choice by Fumblewomble:

For subjects other than medicine this is true and I would agree with you, but the pooling with medicine isn't as fair and college choice is important.
in 2006, overall 25% of offers were through the pool (all subjects). In medicine, only 27 of the around 270 offers were through the pool, so 10% of all medicine offers were through the pool.
Reply 1391
Jamesop
For subjects other than medicine this is true and I would agree with you, but the pooling with medicine isn't as fair and college choice is important.
in 2006, overall 25% of offers were through the pool (all subjects). In medicine, only 27 of the around 270 offers were through the pool, so 10% of all medicine offers were through the pool.

10% is quite a lot...
t3h_y0u553f
Is living out of college for the second year a pain. Would be a reason not to apply?

Sorry for replying ridiculously late. But I've forgotten about TSR's existence for the past few weeks.

It's not really a pain. Although you won't get easy access to the library you can still get to college or to lectures in a relatively short time (add 5 - 10 minutes to travel, or use a bike more). You also get to use hobs or hot plates outwith college, as they prefer not to have it going up in flames.

For some it's a pain, but they can always choose to stay in college for their second year and third year (plenty of choices).

Hope that's clarified :smile:
PFK
Reply 1393
around
10% is quite a lot...

All other subjects= 1/4
Medicine= 1/10

So you are 60% less likely to receive an offer through the pool for medicine when compared to the average for other subjects in Cambridge. I'd call that quite low, what sort of reasoning lead you to believe 10% was quite a lot?
Reply 1394
Go for Caius. It's lovely! (And the competition level seems to be over-hyped. When I went for my interview, I met people who chose 'open application'. Clearly, it's not oversubscribed).
londonlawguy

Just sayin', I went on a day thing at Cambridge last year, and talked to this girl at Peterhouse who made it sound like the worst college ever, cos of having to eat in hall, and the size, and just generally, and basically implied she wouldn't have picked it if she researched all the colleges properly.
Reply 1396
Just pick one you like and whick offers your subject.

Things to think about:
-Would you prefer a big or small college?
-Do you want to live in the centre of Cambridge, or would you like to live a bit further out?
-Old, traditional buildings versus more modern ones...

By the way, IT (I think Cambridge offers Computer Science - but it's quite Mathsy IIRC), Law and Medicine are very different subjects...perhaps you should have a think about which one you actually want to study.
Reply 1397
Medicine Gonville and Caius
Law Downing
CS everything else
If you apply to Downing for law, bear in mind that one will be VERY competitive - it's the best one and it takes 10% of the law students but a large amount of people will apply there to take advantage of it being the best.

In reality, most of the colleges offer similar things so you may as well have a look around, think about what type of college you'd prefer (e.g. I didn't like the idea of being in a huge, touristy college so i didn't consider Kings or John's). But yeah, you need to pick a subject first - Cambridge look for passion in one subject and if you're undecided between 3 radically different ones...
You need a visit to decide. Beware of Downing - it's intensely competitive. Remember that once you graduate, very very few employers would actually care which college you went to so in the long run it makes no difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending