The Student Room Group

How do you stop messing about and study seriously?

What works?

All this checklist, timetables stuff hasn't helped. I just can't study, idk why

help me
I would give yourself a reward after you complete a certain amount of time studying. e.g. 1 hour of study and you can have a chocolate bar. Then, when you feel like you may get distracted, you can just think of the reward you will get if you complete the study session. This is enough to motivate me to complete the time I have dedicated for myself to study.
Go to a library.
I have yet to find out myself
Original post by Anonymous
What works?

All this checklist, timetables stuff hasn't helped. I just can't study, idk why

help me

I know this sounds bad but for me it's being competitive. I have to literally be the best. So anyone around me doing better I have to surpass. I mean that sorta motivates me and the fact I actually want to achieve high aswell. Maybe look at your mates and what they're achieving. If you're not exceeding them try to. Not in a bad way but friendly rivalry and competitiveness is actually very useful and healthy. It helps you become better. Idk if it's weird. Hope that helps.
If you thoughts are troubling you, or you can't concentrate on your work because you are constantly thinking about other things, I would definitely recommend that you invest in a journal. Allocate a time, preferably in the evening, where you can sit alone and write down everything that happened during the day. When I say everything, I mean everything: your thoughts, ideas, feelings and things that happened throughout the day. Its great because you can take it everywhere with you and you only need 10 minutes a day (you can definitely take more time if you want to!). This definitely helped me because I wasn't constantly thinking about things, which left me lots of time to study.

Another tip is to set yourself goals. For example, tell yourself that you need to do 4 hours a day but you don't need to do it all in one go. Set aims that will not overwhelm you, but at the same time will allow you to get your work done. Put away all distractions like phones and laptops, and sometimes (for me) it even helps to be away from other people. I find that studying on my own works better for me because I can concentrate better without the constant distraction of having someone speak to you. Think about the purpose of your studying and the long term goal that your trying to achieve (e.g. getting high grades in your GCSEs or A levels). Think about the joy of receiving your results and finding out that you got all of the results that you wanted. It might help to motivate you.

These are some of the things that helped me study, so I hope that they help you too. Good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending