The Student Room Group

can I talk to a straight 9 student pls?

hey I need urgent help, I am struggling, can i talk to u pls.

Scroll to see replies

I’m no grade 9 student, but they all say the same thing: do past papers, make good notes, make flash cards, watch videos, read the specification. they’ll all tell you the ‘secret’ is to do exam practice questions! this advice isn’t wrong though, it’s pretty generic but it works for most subjects. you just have to focus if active recall. have confidence in yourself, you can do it
good luck x
Reply 2
Hey
Just remember the hardest part is starting. Once you actually get your books out and start doing questions, you start to think ‘hey this isn’t so bad’. Then you gain motivation because you want to get better and it becomes a lovely cycle of productivity. don’t dive into a past paper straight away. Dip your toes into the water by doing some text book questions. If you have CGP text books/revision guides, they should have some questions in there. you have to start something though, or you won’t see results or improvement. If you can’t believe in yourself, I will! You can do it, whoooo!! Go you, smarty :smile:
Reply 4
message me :smile:
honestly, you don't need to stress. There's still quite a long time left before the actual thing and well, last min revision for GCSEs does work imo.
(that's how I lived through year 11)
Original post by watershower
Just remember the hardest part is starting. Once you actually get your books out and start doing questions, you start to think ‘hey this isn’t so bad’. Then you gain motivation because you want to get better and it becomes a lovely cycle of productivity. don’t dive into a past paper straight away. Dip your toes into the water by doing some text book questions. If you have CGP text books/revision guides, they should have some questions in there. you have to start something though, or you won’t see results or improvement. If you can’t believe in yourself, I will! You can do it, whoooo!! Go you, smarty :smile:

As a "straight 9" student myself, I definitely agree with the statement above. I feel like for the majority of students, the struggle is just dealing with procrastination and getting things done. Look at what you do in a day and say to yourself, "what distracts me?" and "what is getting in the way of me studying?" If it's things like Netflix or Youtube (which I'm very susceptible too dw), try and remove your phone or laptop from your desk, give it to a parent, do something that will really help change your environment so that you'll focus and just get on with it. If home is too busy, you could even go to a library. I find that rlly helps me concentrate cos my family is quite all over the place:biggrin:

Another way I revised was using the "Rule of 8". You have 24 hours in a day, leave 8 hours for sleep, 8 hours for free-time and 8 hours for work. 8 hours a day of study is enough time from now until your GCSEs to revise and get work done. Of course, this won't always be the case, but at least try and manage your time in this way, so you have something better to work with. And then divide your 8 hours of work into, let's say, 30 mins revision on a topic and another 30 mins on past papers. Take a break, and then press on with another subject etc. etc. Use those hours to then make flash cards, make good notes and go over your specification. And as you would've heard a million times already, do practice papers (preferably in timed conditions!)

I understand GCSEs can be stressful as you have to balance such a large number of subjects, but it's certainly doable. And anyone can achieve the grades if they are consistent and know how to manage their time. Just take things one at a time, and obviously, don't tire yourself out. Even though mocks may have not gone the way you wanted them to go, you can still utilise the time you have to prepare for the actual exams. I got a 5 in chemistry and biology mocks, but ended up getting 9s in both at GCSE, so you can do it. Have faith in yourself, I have faith in you too!:smile:

The smartest person in the world could give you the most amazing tips on how to revise and how to achieve the highest grades, but it's evidently up to you to discipline yourself and actually do it! Anyways, if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. I hope at least something from this was helpful lol. And good luck!:smile:
Original post by s.gotera
As a "straight 9" student myself, I definitely agree with the statement above. I feel like for the majority of students, the struggle is just dealing with procrastination and getting things done. Look at what you do in a day and say to yourself, "what distracts me?" and "what is getting in the way of me studying?" If it's things like Netflix or Youtube (which I'm very susceptible too dw), try and remove your phone or laptop from your desk, give it to a parent, do something that will really help change your environment so that you'll focus and just get on with it. If home is too busy, you could even go to a library. I find that rlly helps me concentrate cos my family is quite all over the place:biggrin:

Another way I revised was using the "Rule of 8". You have 24 hours in a day, leave 8 hours for sleep, 8 hours for free-time and 8 hours for work. 8 hours a day of study is enough time from now until your GCSEs to revise and get work done. Of course, this won't always be the case, but at least try and manage your time in this way, so you have something better to work with. And then divide your 8 hours of work into, let's say, 30 mins revision on a topic and another 30 mins on past papers. Take a break, and then press on with another subject etc. etc. Use those hours to then make flash cards, make good notes and go over your specification. And as you would've heard a million times already, do practice papers (preferably in timed conditions!)

I understand GCSEs can be stressful as you have to balance such a large number of subjects, but it's certainly doable. And anyone can achieve the grades if they are consistent and know how to manage their time. Just take things one at a time, and obviously, don't tire yourself out. Even though mocks may have not gone the way you wanted them to go, you can still utilise the time you have to prepare for the actual exams. I got a 5 in chemistry and biology mocks, but ended up getting 9s in both at GCSE, so you can do it. Have faith in yourself, I have faith in you too!:smile:

The smartest person in the world could give you the most amazing tips on how to revise and how to achieve the highest grades, but it's evidently up to you to discipline yourself and actually do it! Anyways, if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. I hope at least something from this was helpful lol. And good luck!:smile:

How can you do 8 hours on a school day. Are you talking about weekends?
Hey, I was 2 marks off getting straight 9s in the 2019 exams so if you wanna chat then feel free
Original post by maniccrammer
Hey, I was 2 marks off getting straight 9s in the 2019 exams so if you wanna chat then feel free

I have no revision materials whatsoever so if I start now- what is the best time to have them all done? and if I start revising properly now, can I get grade 8/9s being a grade 5/6 student.
Original post by Arshdeep123
How can you do 8 hours on a school day. Are you talking about weekends?

Yea sorry, I meant weekends. Though, on a school day, you could do 3-4 hours instead. Of course, this is just a guide tho
I have no revision materials whatsoever so if I start now- what is the best time to have them all done? and if I start revising properly now, can I get grade 8/9s being a grade 5/6 student.

When did you start revising and for how long? Revision tips? Can you share your gcse online notes with me so I can take inspiration and make my own
Ok

Heyyy! Congrats on your results! :biggrin: How did you balance the rule of 8 whilst you were at school? :colondollar:

You’ve still got time to raise your grades yes, but you’re gonna have to do consistent work to do so. I’d aim to have your notes completed by Easter at the absolute latest, then you can use the holiday and remaining school weeks to revise - making the resources doesn’t count as proper revision, so while it does mean you’re reviewing content by using it to make other things, the 2 weeks off should be when you’re using what you’ve made to recall and engage with the information and that should see you improve. Like others have said too, practice papers are crucial especially for essay subjects so try to do as many as you can
Original post by Ztormie
Heyyy! Congrats on your results! :biggrin: How did you balance the rule of 8 whilst you were at school? :colondollar:

Aw thanks!:smile: Well, I used the rule of 8 more for the weekends and for study leave, but you can count school as part of your 4-5 hours (including teaching and in-school revision) and the other 3-4 hours when you reach home instead. These 3-4 hours, even just 2-3 hours, will just help you be more consistent in revising. This was just a guide to help me manage my work, instead of just looking at a whole day and not knowing when to revise what. I hope this helps!:smile:
Aw thanks!:smile: Well, I used the rule of 8 more for the weekends and for study leave, but you can count school as part of your 4-5 hours (including teaching and in-school revision) and the other 3-4 hours when you reach home instead. These 3-4 hours, even just 2-3 hours, will just help you be more consistent in revising. This was just a guide to help me manage my work, instead of just looking at a whole day and not knowing when to revise what. I hope this helps!:smile:

Thanks for the clarification! 😁 How did you balance homework and revision? My school gives us tons of useless homework like making posters and it takes up soo much time on weekends (I revise of week days and aim to on weekends) 😢.
Original post by Ztormie
Thanks for the clarification! 😁 How did you balance homework and revision? My school gives us tons of useless homework like making posters and it takes up soo much time on weekends (I revise of week days and aim to on weekends) 😢.

You're very welcome!:smile: What I did for most of my homework, was first try and complete anything I was given on the day. Of course, not everything can be completed asap, but it's soo much better to at least start on the work, especially if you have a lot on your plate. If it's things like making posters, or "tons of useless homework", set yourself a time limit, of let's say 45 mins to complete one piece of hw, stick with it, take a break, then use another 45 mins to revise on the same subject.

Sometimes you can be a bit too carried away with finishing off homework, and you don't leave anytime for revision, and at times that's understandable. So just try and set yourself a time limit for a piece of hw, stick with it, and then move on. I did Fine Art GCSE (which was hell omg:s-smilie:) and I was sooo behind on deadlines and submitting pieces of work, because I always left things to last minute. I even used to do my homeworks untiI 12am on several nights a week, just bcos I didn't set myself a time to complete it. It was until I finally started to manage my time properly, by setting myself limits and trying to reach my goal of finishing a piece within, let's say, 3 hours. This helped much more in balancing homework and revision, instead of just doing work with no goal whatsoever, as my time management was all over the place. lol idk if this makes any sense, but i hope it helps!:smile: Also feel free to ask anymore questions x
Don't bother making a timetable and just get on with it and start revising
Like essays? This is what we done in school most of the time. I would also like to know the answer to this question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending