English Lang - 9
Biology - 8
Physics - 7
Chemistry - 7
History - 7
Geography - 6
Religious Studies - 9
Spanish - 7
Is it possible to get straight 9s? How would you recommend revising over the next 2-3 months especially for maths, sciences, geography, history and spanish. Any specific revision method?
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Maybe it is, with a large amount of practice and getting the right technique.

Maths = check out another response I posted in a channel about this.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7443508&p=99165598&page=2&viewing_newpost=1#post99165598

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7386218&p=98769144&page=1#post98769144

Sciences

Again check out the above link (the first one) there are quite a few posts about sciences within that thread.

Geography I didn’t do the subject, sorry.

History, use hodder textbooks and seneca. These are the most useful and clear resources I have used for history. Make knowledge organizers, flashcards, etc. make sure you have a lot of practice at answering source questions

. Spanish: again check out the first link. There is a post
It's entirely possible to get all 9s!

To be fair, it depends on the individual!
From my experience:

Sciences - Making personal notes/rewriting a whole textbook summarised with key points required to learn (not just random info). That way, essential information sticks to your brain as you mind-map each unique idea through font and style on paper. If you want to make things stand out in your notes to remember some key points, try drawing diagrams to add to your notes. That way, you are able to recognise the section of info you've summarised - make it stand out!

Watching videos online helps me fill the gaps in knowledge for different sciences. I recommend Primrose Kitten and FreeScienceLessons on YouTube!

English - Practice papers - Moreover, warm up with writing until you're comfortable with writing at a fast pace. (A fun thing I find which helps expand my vocabulary is by watching Netflix shows!)

Maths - Honestly, I don't think you can really 'revise' maths - so instead, make sure you understand all the concepts and correlations in the curriculum.

Remember, this is my way of studying to get 9s for each subject; Additionally, each person has their own style of revision - so I advise you try different revision strategies and find one which works best for you!
Good luck with the revision!
Reply 3
Original post by jelllyfiiish
It's entirely possible to get all 9s!

To be fair, it depends on the individual!
From my experience:

Sciences - Making personal notes/rewriting a whole textbook summarised with key points required to learn (not just random info). That way, essential information sticks to your brain as you mind-map each unique idea through font and style on paper. If you want to make things stand out in your notes to remember some key points, try drawing diagrams to add to your notes. That way, you are able to recognise the section of info you've summarised - make it stand out!

Watching videos online helps me fill the gaps in knowledge for different sciences. I recommend Primrose Kitten and FreeScienceLessons on YouTube!

English - Practice papers - Moreover, warm up with writing until you're comfortable with writing at a fast pace. (A fun thing I find which helps expand my vocabulary is by watching Netflix shows!)

Maths - Honestly, I don't think you can really 'revise' maths - so instead, make sure you understand all the concepts and correlations in the curriculum.

Remember, this is my way of studying to get 9s for each subject; Additionally, each person has their own style of revision - so I advise you try different revision strategies and find one which works best for you!
Good luck with the revision!

Thanks
Would you know anything about revising Geography, History and Spanish
Which gcses did you do, which exam board and what grades please. Thank you.
Original post by ua12345
Thanks

Hi! I don't do those 3 subjects.

Fortunately, my roommate does Geography, and they've gotten 9's in them + mocks.
I just asked my roommate, and this is a summary of what she said:

Case studies: Group them into social, political and economic factors (Short summaries) - this can be a mindmap or just flashcards. Remember to use flashy, memorable colours or diagrams to make it stand out; furthermore, improving a unique memory for a specific concept.

Past papers - practice writing more often so you'll get used to writing at a fast pace (in case you struggle with time management)

Go over the effects of any cause (e.g. mangroves in coastal conditions - how does it affect/benefit the community?)

Since I'm doing a language too (German), this is my routine for improving:

QUIZLET!! It's a great study tool for learning vocabulary over time - people make their own flashcard vocabulary sets online, too! This is a great way to extend and show off your vocab during writing assessments during GCSE. Moreover, unexpected vocab may pop up during reading or listening exams, so it's by luck you may've revised these vocab, too!

Find a Spanish friend. I know this sounds a bit strange, but I used to get a low score for German Speaking (5,6). Ever since I got a German friend in 6th form, my grades have been improving towards 7s and 8s. Usually, I would try to speak German with her, and if I had gotten any grammar/structure wrong, she would correct me - plus, helping me strengthen my confidence in German-speaking!

Unfortunately, I don't do history (neither do my friends!)

This times results:
8 - Biology AQA (4 marks off a 9!)
9 - Chemistry AQA
8 - Physics AQA (1 mark off a 9 ☹️ )
9 - Mathematics Edexcel
9 - Eng lit Edexcel
9 - Eng lang Edexcel
9 - Fine Art (I think it was Edexcel)
9 - Classical Civilisation OCR
7 - German CIE (around 5 marks off an 8!)
9 - Religion and Philosophy AQA
Reply 5
Original post by jelllyfiiish
Original post by ua12345
Thanks

Fortunately, my roommate does Geography, and they've gotten 9's in them + mocks.

Case studies: Group them into social, political and economic factors (Short summaries) - this can be a mindmap or just flashcards. Remember to use flashy, memorable colours or diagrams to make it stand out; furthermore, improving a unique memory for a specific concept.

Past papers - practice writing more often so you'll get used to writing at a fast pace (in case you struggle with time management)

Go over the effects of any cause (e.g. mangroves in coastal conditions - how does it affect/benefit the community?)

QUIZLET!! It's a great study tool for learning vocabulary over time - people make their own flashcard vocabulary sets online, too! This is a great way to extend and show off your vocab during writing assessments during GCSE. Moreover, unexpected vocab may pop up during reading or listening exams, so it's by luck you may've revised these vocab, too!

Find a Spanish friend. I know this sounds a bit strange, but I used to get a low score for German Speaking (5,6). Ever since I got a German friend in 6th form, my grades have been improving towards 7s and 8s. Usually, I would try to speak German with her, and if I had gotten any grammar/structure wrong, she would correct me - plus, helping me strengthen my confidence in German-speaking!

This times results:
9 - Chemistry AQA
9 - Mathematics Edexcel
9 - Eng lit Edexcel
9 - Eng lang Edexcel

Thank you so much. Those are really good results
Original post by ua12345

This times results:
9 - Chemistry AQA
9 - Mathematics Edexcel
9 - Eng lit Edexcel
9 - Eng lang Edexcel

Thank you so much. Those are really good results
Thank you, and I hope you'll do well too!
Original post by ua12345
My mock grades were:
Maths - 7
English Lit - 9
English Lang - 9
Biology - 8
Physics - 7
Chemistry - 7
History - 7
Geography - 6
Religious Studies - 9
Spanish - 7
Is it possible to get straight 9s? How would you recommend revising over the next 2-3 months especially for maths, sciences, geography, history and spanish. Any specific revision method?
Hi @ua12345,

Three months can be a game changer if you use that time wisely and effectively, I was also in a similar position to you and had the same goal with the same amount of time left.

For my sciences, I revised basically the entire syllabus from the beginning by following the specification points. It helped navigate my revision so much. The spec points are extremely specific and tells you what exactly what to expect on your exam; which diagrams, what definitions, any processes and mechanisms.

Every day I would try to cover one all the bullet points under one topic. To do this, I would read up my textbook or online resources, make notes accordingly and try the blurting method. You can read up more on blurting here: https://bit.ly/3uCzvZl.

I would repeat the process until I got majority of the content memorised. Anything that I figured would be difficult for me to memorise, I would format into a flashcard for me to look back at at another time in the week (I did this a lot for biology). Finally, I would attempt past paper questions for the topics I learnt that day (topical past papers). I noticed that topical past papers helped to further engrain the knowledge into my brain.

I struggled the most revising for maths. I would look up YouTube videos that thoroughly explained the calculations I did understand. Most of the time, I would go through videos that went through the entire past paper and explained how each answer is derived with the calculations. I realised that math is more of a skill-based subject, so in addition to learning the maths you need to be able to put it into practice as well. Lots of practice will naturally make you better and more confident at attempting the maths past papers.

I hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Reply 8
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @ua12345,

Three months can be a game changer if you use that time wisely and effectively, I was also in a similar position to you and had the same goal with the same amount of time left.

For my sciences, I revised basically the entire syllabus from the beginning by following the specification points. It helped navigate my revision so much. The spec points are extremely specific and tells you what exactly what to expect on your exam; which diagrams, what definitions, any processes and mechanisms.

Every day I would try to cover one all the bullet points under one topic. To do this, I would read up my textbook or online resources, make notes accordingly and try the blurting method. You can read up more on blurting here: https://bit.ly/3uCzvZl.

I would repeat the process until I got majority of the content memorised. Anything that I figured would be difficult for me to memorise, I would format into a flashcard for me to look back at at another time in the week (I did this a lot for biology). Finally, I would attempt past paper questions for the topics I learnt that day (topical past papers). I noticed that topical past papers helped to further engrain the knowledge into my brain.

I struggled the most revising for maths. I would look up YouTube videos that thoroughly explained the calculations I did understand. Most of the time, I would go through videos that went through the entire past paper and explained how each answer is derived with the calculations. I realised that math is more of a skill-based subject, so in addition to learning the maths you need to be able to put it into practice as well. Lots of practice will naturally make you better and more confident at attempting the maths past papers.

I hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Thank you
Do you have any tips for history or geography?
What were you final gcse results?
And do you suggest I start revising now as my first exam is May 9th
Reply 9
Original post by ua12345
My mock grades were:
Maths - 7
English Lit - 9
English Lang - 9
Biology - 8
Physics - 7
Chemistry - 7
History - 7
Geography - 6
Religious Studies - 9
Spanish - 7
Perfection is crippling - no University requires straight 9s. Learn this now rather than later (coming from a Year 11).
I agree with @Buteyko that all 9 is totally unnecessary but admirable. I want all 9 myself in every subject but French (because French) and RS because I did it last year and got a 7(I was predicted a 9 but I didn’t give enough opinions in my 12 markers for some reason and I had a really bad marker). With history I would suggest flash cards to learn the content as you need to know it in such large specific detail and then plan essays most of the time don’t write them as it takes too long (only occasionally to check technique and timings) - I got 98% in my mock so hopefully this works.
Reply 11
Original post by FrenchFencer
I agree with @Buteyko that all 9 is totally unnecessary but admirable. I want all 9 myself in every subject but French (because French) and RS because I did it last year and got a 7(I was predicted a 9 but I didn’t give enough opinions in my 12 markers for some reason and I had a really bad marker). With history I would suggest flash cards to learn the content as you need to know it in such large specific detail and then plan essays most of the time don’t write them as it takes too long (only occasionally to check technique and timings) - I got 98% in my mock so hopefully this works.
Ok thanks
Original post by ua12345
My mock grades were:
Maths - 7
English Lit - 9
English Lang - 9
Biology - 8
Physics - 7
Chemistry - 7
History - 7
Geography - 6
Religious Studies - 9
Spanish - 7
pls tell me how youre getting 9s in english its the last 9s i need ive mopped everything else up and for spanish just watch tv in spanish, as a non native english speaker just being surrounded by english people in school was how i quickly learned the language.
Reply 13
Original post by VroomVROOOM
Original post by ua12345
My mock grades were:
Maths - 7
English Lit - 9
English Lang - 9
Biology - 8
Physics - 7
Chemistry - 7
History - 7
Geography - 6
Religious Studies - 9
Spanish - 7
pls tell me how youre getting 9s in english its the last 9s i need ive mopped everything else up and for spanish just watch tv in spanish, as a non native english speaker just being surrounded by english people in school was how i quickly learned the language.

My exam board is Edexcel igcse
Pretty much I just for unseen poem just spend like 10 mins analysing it and getting any useful points. Then I just use PEEL paragraphs and repeat 3-4 X and usually get minimum 17/20. For poetry comparison, I try and do something similar but just ensure my points show contrasting elements of poems. And for to kill a mockingbird whicj is the novel we study, I just make sure i talk about context throughout.

Did you get 9s in like Maths, Sciences, History and Geography ? If so, how?
Original post by ua12345

My exam board is Edexcel igcse
Pretty much I just for unseen poem just spend like 10 mins analysing it and getting any useful points. Then I just use PEEL paragraphs and repeat 3-4 X and usually get minimum 17/20. For poetry comparison, I try and do something similar but just ensure my points show contrasting elements of poems. And for to kill a mockingbird whicj is the novel we study, I just make sure i talk about context throughout.

Did you get 9s in like Maths, Sciences, History and Geography ? If so, how?sciences i got 8,8 i do combined and i dont do geography but i just barely scraped a 9 though i have to admit i just got lucky for geography however for maths i do a set of past papers and the questions i get wrong at all even if its just a mark i study thouroughly using themed papers, whichi is just basically 20 HARD questions on the topic, like the 5 and 4 markers at the back of the papers that only grade 9 people do, also i remind myslef whilst doing the exams that i can afford to lose 10 marks each papers and still get a grade 9, this calms me down and helps me concentrate;organise your time and dont do questions you cant do/ leave them for the very end

Quick Reply

Latest