The Student Room Group

Is anyone going to Opal 1 Birmingham on september???

Well?:p: Im going there for the first time*yay* and i dont really know how's it going to be :s-smilie: help me out people! =p

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
KV457_<3
Well?:p: Im going there for the first time*yay* and i dont really know how's it going to be :s-smilie: help me out people! =p

You may wish to re-post this in the University of Birmingham sub-forum... there are a lot of threads on accommodation over there...
Reply 2
nice halls i live in birmingham! hope u have fun!
Reply 3
Lalli
nice halls i live in birmingham! hope u have fun!

thanks! :smile:
Im goin to opal 1 in september too, it looks really nice! apparantly its a bit rough round there but i reckon it'll be ok. When you hopin to move in?
Reply 5
Im arriving in Birmingham on the 19th and moving in on the 20th. its stupid that they wont let us in before the 20th*grr*:mad: anw=p..what about u? what do u mean its a bit rough there?
Someone told me the south east of Birmingham was a bit rough generally, but iv'e been to visit and it looks alreet!

You can move in now if you wanted, you don't have to wait till the 20th! They have been letting ppl move in from the 6th. Iv'e allready been to move some stuff and it looks amazin
ill be actually movin in on the 20th too btw!
Reply 8
thomasgrocott
Someone told me the south east of Birmingham was a bit rough generally, but iv'e been to visit and it looks alreet!

You can move in now if you wanted, you don't have to wait till the 20th! They have been letting ppl move in from the 6th. Iv'e allready been to move some stuff and it looks amazin

meh we'll survive =p unbelieveable! i emailed the hall manager and she told me i wasnt allowed to move in before the 20th!:s-smilie: lol anyways:rolleyes: .. What will u be studying there?
I'm studyin Geogpraphy, what about you? Can't wait till tomorrow!! Do you now what flat your in, im block A flat 18! :smile:
Reply 10
thomasgrocott
I'm studyin Geogpraphy, what about you? Can't wait till tomorrow!! Do you now what flat your in, im block A flat 18! :smile:

cool! im in block A too =p flat 39!
cool! i might drop in an see you sometime! i'm pretty lonley at the min lol, no-one else has arrived in my flat yet :frown:
Reply 12
aww ok=) anytime=p
Reply 13
I've booked a place in Opal 1 birmingham too, I'll move in this september, but they told me I can move in from the 5th. How's the facilities around the hall?
Reply 14
Yeahh im going! facilities are realii nice!! i went for a viewing the other day, and must say i was impressed! =]
Rooms are a pretty good size too and looks clean (y) which is defo a plus!
Reply 15
cool i haven't looked inside, apparently 1 of the blocks has bigger rooms than the other
didn't like the look of the amount of traffic going past but who's going to be sleeping anyway
Reply 16
so...jst wondering if you think it will be possible to fit an electronic drumkit intoo an opal 1 standard room/ i've got a room there and am curious
Reply 17
Hello everyone, I have used Opal 1 accommodation Birmingham from June 2009 to September 2010. Based on this experiences, I wouldn't want to use their services again for the following reasons:

1. First of all, when I went for room checking, I was shown the best room in the tall building with the best view. However, when my room was allocated to me, I was so disappointed but it was too late to make any change. I believe the administration are quite aware of this fact that they include an article in your contract which does not guarantee your room preference. When I first signed the contract, I didn't realise why this condition (which is stated in small font) is so important.

2. There is no room or flat service whatsoever, especially cleaning. I had alot of hassle trying to agree with the other flatmates on keeping the kitchen and communal areas clean. No one wanted to cooperate. What is worse, the administration didn't want to be bothered at all bout this issue; all my verbal and written complaints went to the dustbin. The kitchen was in real mess all the time and I was the only one among all five flatmates who has to throw the garbage every two or three days. If I didn't, the kitchen will stink... and yet nobody will take action.

3. If you were unlucky enough to be allocated a room with your window in the back of the building, say goodbye to good-night sleep. So many nights I couldn't sleep because of other students who will gather outside their blocks to smoke, drink, chat, shout, laugh loudly... this will continue till the early hours of the morning. Even when you call the security guy, he will just hush them for a while only and then the noise will resume again. Many times I found myself near to call the police in the middle of the night to stop the noise, I really almost developed insomnia from that time.

4. When repairs are needed for any thing, small or big, I would have to wait for weeks. This is especially annoying when something like the shower clip needs to be replaced, you will have to suffer and struggle every time you have a shower. Their excuse for this delay is that there is a long queue and that I'm no the only resident there. Of course this is true considering there is only 5 or 6 staff running the whole accommodation (2 reception; 2 security; one technician).

Finally, I really believe the administration of Opal 1 are generally reluctant and disinterested in genuinely resolving the residents' problems or any disturbing issues. The are very good at lip service though. This perhaps explains their insistence on receiving the total payment in advance for the whole time you will spend in their accommodation... this way they ensure that once you start, whether you like the accommodation or not is YOUR problem.
Reply 18
o m g these are issues in all halls you lunatic, what do you expect, these are student halls, not new flats in canary wharf!
Reply 19
Lived there this year

They dont require you to pay it all up front! They work with student loan layout

I agree with room allocation, especially regarding the views, ideally you want to be in the big
Block overlooking the city

The cleanliness will always vary on the type of flat mates you have ..
Some people are just dirty

Whenever i reported an issue, its been dealt with really well .. Usually real quick

The staff, there are two technicans, both very polite
If you're polite, and friendly

There is a woman called stacey who works at reception, always great help, really nice (n kinda cute)
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending