The Student Room Group

How to learn Chinese characters?

I have applied for a Chinese degree so I thought it would be a good idea to learn some characters. But I have no idea how to begin.
Original post by Anonymous1502
I have applied for a Chinese degree so I thought it would be a good idea to learn some characters. But I have no idea how to begin.

I haven't studied Chinese but I have learned how to read and write traditional Chinese for my hanja (the Chinese characters which are roots of Korean words) class! I'd recommend using an online dictionary which shows you the stroke order, I used the Naver one but that's Korean to Chinese, I think LINE does an English to Chinese one? The stroke order is learned purely by repetition really, I would just repeatedly write them whilst saying the sound out loud but I know Chinese kids learn by doing stroke one, then stroke one and two repeatedly until they know that, then one two and three together etc. until they know the full thing. At first your brain won't really know how to store it properly since it's a totally different process to using an alphabet but it'll get easier and easier to memorise them over time :smile:
wait your doing a Chinese degree and know no Chinese
Original post by Igotbbcalevel

it is not a requirement
Original post by umbrellala
I haven't studied Chinese but I have learned how to read and write traditional Chinese for my hanja (the Chinese characters which are roots of Korean words) class! I'd recommend using an online dictionary which shows you the stroke order, I used the Naver one but that's Korean to Chinese, I think LINE does an English to Chinese one? The stroke order is learned purely by repetition really, I would just repeatedly write them whilst saying the sound out loud but I know Chinese kids learn by doing stroke one, then stroke one and two repeatedly until they know that, then one two and three together etc. until they know the full thing. At first your brain won't really know how to store it properly since it's a totally different process to using an alphabet but it'll get easier and easier to memorise them over time :smile:

Where do I start?
Original post by Anonymous1502
Where do I start?

What do you mean? Like which words to start with? If that's what you mean then it's the same as learning anything else, find recourses or a curriculum you like and follow what they suggest. There's loads of free ones online if you google it
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Igotbbcalevel

Some languages which aren't commonly taught in schools (or aren't at all) you can learn from scratch at uni!
Make flash cards, or what I do is pick a certain topic and learn the most useful characters for that topic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending