The Student Room Group

Should I, a native speaker of Chinese and prospective student at Edinburgh University

, be able to change my chosen degree from MA Linguistics to MA Chinese and Linguistics?

Currently I'm 18 and am a British student of Chinese heritage - I studied English Literature, French, German and a linguistics-based EPQ for my A-Levels. I have an offer from the University of Edinburgh to study Linguistics for 2023 entry, and I love the look of the course in every single way, from how it's structured in each of the 4 years to the variety of subjects offered.

However, one thing that I had considered when choosing my degree when I was 17 last year was the possibility of doing a joint degree of Chinese and Linguistics, and it's something that, at this extremely late stage, I've started to consider again. For context, I grew up speaking Mandarin with my mother (who is, ironically, a Chinese teacher, but never found the time to teach me Mandarin) and I am able to hold a casual conversation very confidently, but I never learned to be able to read nor write, which I do consider a great shame. It is for this reason that I would really like to study Chinese to a proper native level, and also have the opportunity to study Chinese literature, culture, politics and history, especially because I would love to use my linguistic skills (including Chinese) in the future for things like translation, teaching, research etc.

So, at this stage, I have two questions:
1) Is it even possible for me to change my degree from a single to a joint one at this late stage?
2) How much would a joint degree with Chinese actually benefit me? Most universities in the UK outline the fact that their courses are 'unsuitable for native speakers', which appears to me as though I am not eligible for any of these courses.

I'm not sure if this is the best place for me to post this, so I'm sorry in advance if it's not right.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending