The Student Room Group

*UNI LANGUAGE STUDENTS* Are you on your year abroad? Year abroad and COVID-19

I study languages and was supposed to go to China for my year abroad back in February. Due to the circumstances this was quickly cancelled. Now my University has said that I either take the online classes provided by the host university in China and return there when their university reopens... Or I have the option to sit the HSK 4 exam and if I pass this I will be able to continue studying Mandarin in my final year.

I feel these terms and conditions are a bit harsh considering the circumstances, it is very difficult to self-teach at this stage in language learning, especially when you're not able to go to the country. I don't feel supported by my university at all, instead I am constantly worried about not being able to graduate with the same degree I signed up for.

What are your universities doing? What sort of conditions have you been offered and do you feel supported?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Can you defer for a year? It's not unreasonable to want to maintain their standard of education.
Reply 2
Original post by ThomH97
Can you defer for a year? It's not unreasonable to want to maintain their standard of education.

I am not sure about that. Also that is something I wouldn't consider because I am so close to finishing University at this point. I understand that it is not unreasonable for them to keep up the standard of education and they did say that to us. However, now as all UK Universities are closed, I hear most people are doing online lessons, essays and sitting at home exams. Surely the standard of education is being lowered in the UK this year in general??
Reply 3
Original post by Kita G
I am not sure about that. Also that is something I wouldn't consider because I am so close to finishing University at this point. I understand that it is not unreasonable for them to keep up the standard of education and they did say that to us. However, now as all UK Universities are closed, I hear most people are doing online lessons, essays and sitting at home exams. Surely the standard of education is being lowered in the UK this year in general??

But immersing yourself in the culture is a significant part of your degree, whereas for most other subjects the content will be the same whether you get it from a lecturer preaching to 200 bored students or at home on slides or a video of the same thing.

It sucks, and I sympathise, but the reason you need to go to China is because you know it will help massively in passing your exams. They have given you the choice to have a go anyway, and also to try and cram it in later. I would try to defer if I were you, and then you'll be in a stronger position when you do take the exams.
Reply 4
I'm sorry this isn't an answer, but may I ask which university this is?
Reply 5
Original post by nc127
I'm sorry this isn't an answer, but may I ask which university this is?

University of Portsmouth!
Original post by Kita G
I study languages and was supposed to go to China for my year abroad back in February. Due to the circumstances this was quickly cancelled. Now my University has said that I either take the online classes provided by the host university in China and return there when their university reopens... Or I have the option to sit the HSK 4 exam and if I pass this I will be able to continue studying Mandarin in my final year.

I feel these terms and conditions are a bit harsh considering the circumstances, it is very difficult to self-teach at this stage in language learning, especially when you're not able to go to the country. I don't feel supported by my university at all, instead I am constantly worried about not being able to graduate with the same degree I signed up for.

What are your universities doing? What sort of conditions have you been offered and do you feel supported?

That's a very strange set of options... I'm on my year abroad in South Korea at the moment (I've been here since August last year) and they've basically just let us wait it out since the situation never got that bad in Seoul and now it's levelling out a bit. Although they may be calling us back to the UK due to the announcement by the UK gov last night, so we'll have to see. To be honest I don't think it'll be an issue of whether the Chinese uni re-opens, it's more likely that the UK's travel restrictions will stop you from going. But if I were you I'd just do the online classes, at least you'll be getting something out of it. And they'll teach much better and quicker than the uni or yourself would be able to

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending