The Student Room Group

advice for dental school.

my a levels aren't great I got CCC in maths biology and chemistry. my GCSE are 77766544. I was wondering if there is anyway to get into dental school in the uk . im thinking of retaking and trying to achieve AAA or more but will the unis care about the GCSE ( I did retake like 3 of them due to covid results). Post grad aint an option for me because I don't want to be wasting time. going abroad is an option but I rather stay here in the uk. Can you plz give me advice
Reply 1
Original post by gggg7887
my a levels aren't great I got CCC in maths biology and chemistry. my GCSE are 77766544. I was wondering if there is anyway to get into dental school in the uk . im thinking of retaking and trying to achieve AAA or more but will the unis care about the GCSE ( I did retake like 3 of them due to covid results). Post grad aint an option for me because I don't want to be wasting time. going abroad is an option but I rather stay here in the uk. Can you plz give me advice

It’s not so much the GCSEs I’d worry about (although they would certainly present something of a challenge), but more the fact that you’re proposing resitting all your A-Levels. Albeit I’m talking as a med (not dental student), but I know that the vast majority, if not all, UK medical schools will only consider a resit in one subject (if even) and certainly not across all of them. I’d imagine dental schools would be the same. I really don’t want to rain on your parade, but perhaps graduate entry or abroad is a better option for you at this stage?

Of course there might be some allowances to be made if you have strong mitigating circumstances, but I think it’s probably quite unlikely. Have you contacted any unis about this? Also, have you taken the UCAT? I know a fair few dental schools are now using it as their entrance exam
Reply 2
I haven't taken the ucat. I booked it but I cancelled it as I was concentrating a lot on the entrance exam. worst case if I don't get in abroad il retake a levels and try and get in via clearing even though its unlikely or apply for abroad next year earlier for a guaranteed entrance. BTW im 19 now I had to retake yr 12 as I switched schools.

Original post by Paddy2005
It’s not so much the GCSEs I’d worry about (although they would certainly present something of a challenge), but more the fact that you’re proposing resitting all your A-Levels. Albeit I’m talking as a med (not dental student), but I know that the vast majority, if not all, UK medical schools will only consider a resit in one subject (if even) and certainly not across all of them. I’d imagine dental schools would be the same. I really don’t want to rain on your parade, but perhaps graduate entry or abroad is a better option for you at this stage?

Of course there might be some allowances to be made if you have strong mitigating circumstances, but I think it’s probably quite unlikely. Have you contacted any unis about this? Also, have you taken the UCAT? I know a fair few dental schools are now using it as their entrance exam

Quick Reply

Latest