The Student Room Group

Should I leave my Psychology Degree at Southampton Univeristy?

So I started Psychology BSc this term at Southampton after doing it at A-level at not being sure what to do at uni. The whole way through A-levels I found it slightly boring but better than the rest. The only thing that kept me sane was teaching myself Japanese as I love the language - but I never thought of taking it for uni. I've now started my Psychology course and I find in entirely un-inspiring, rather dull and I strongly dislike reading scientific, academic papers and doing stats. My lecturers aren't even bad, I just find it really boring. I recently discovered that I can in fact take BA Japanese at SOAS in London where I grew up. I feel like I should at least do the first semester of my course to see if maybe it is just the first weeks that are dull, but if by the end of semester 1, should I consider leaving and applying to SOAS. Plus, a Japanese degree applies more to what I want to do after uni which get onto the Japanese Exchange Teaching program to teach English in Japan. What should I do, is it worth waiting and seeing if my degree improves, or is that just a waste of money. Should I leave now or wait? I need some advice.
Original post by Grant18
So I started Psychology BSc this term at Southampton after doing it at A-level at not being sure what to do at uni. The whole way through A-levels I found it slightly boring but better than the rest. The only thing that kept me sane was teaching myself Japanese as I love the language - but I never thought of taking it for uni. I've now started my Psychology course and I find in entirely un-inspiring, rather dull and I strongly dislike reading scientific, academic papers and doing stats. My lecturers aren't even bad, I just find it really boring. I recently discovered that I can in fact take BA Japanese at SOAS in London where I grew up. I feel like I should at least do the first semester of my course to see if maybe it is just the first weeks that are dull, but if by the end of semester 1, should I consider leaving and applying to SOAS. Plus, a Japanese degree applies more to what I want to do after uni which get onto the Japanese Exchange Teaching program to teach English in Japan. What should I do, is it worth waiting and seeing if my degree improves, or is that just a waste of money. Should I leave now or wait? I need some advice.

You can complete the whole year of your current course and apply to restart at SOAS next september...there's no need to make a decision on whether to stay or leave until next summer. Just put in a new UCAS application and see if you get any offers and then see what you want to do after you finish first year on your current course.

Have you looked into amending your current course to include a minor in Japanese? https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/customise-your-degree.page or to add in a study abroad year in Japan at either Kyoto or Tokyo university: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/exchanges/exchange-partners.page
Original post by Grant18

If you do not want to waste your gift year then perhaps the university will be nice enough to let SFE know you never attended. Unlikely considering it has been two weeks already, but you have another three years of tuition anyway.
Original post by PQ
You can complete the whole year of your current course and apply to restart at SOAS next september...there's no need to make a decision on whether to stay or leave until next summer. Just put in a new UCAS application and see if you get any offers and then see what you want to do after you finish first year on your current course.

Have you looked into amending your current course to include a minor in Japanese? https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/customise-your-degree.page or to add in a study abroad year in Japan at either Kyoto or Tokyo university: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/exchanges/exchange-partners.page

PRSOM
Original post by Grant18

Tbh It sounds like your actual interest is Japanese and you just picked Psychology a bit arbitrarily. As above you don't need to drop out immediately and can still apply while enrolled at Southampton. However depending on fee liability dates you may still be in the window you can withdraw without it affecting your sfe entitlement. I'd suggest checking that and thinking about things depending on whether that is a factor or not.

If its any help, also worth bearing inmind at least for language acquisition before the year abroad SOAS is probably the best place in the UK for Japanese. Although worth bearing in mind the department has had some issues with a bit of a toxic culture in the past (all students know everyone else's marks and are all trying to one up each other to get their preferred year abroad choice! Or at least apparently that's how it was, there have been a number of changes at SOAS over and since COVID so that may no longer be true).
Reply 5
Thanks! I did not know I could do a ucas application while in first year, I'll give that a go. I have seen that I can take modules which add up to a minor, however they only cover Minna No Nihongo 1 between the four modules which is equivalent to only a GCSE and I would like to be more proficient at the language than that.

Original post by PQ

Original post by Grant18
Thanks! I did not know I could do a ucas application while in first year, I'll give that a go. I have seen that I can take modules which add up to a minor, however they only cover Minna No Nihongo 1 between the four modules which is equivalent to only a GCSE and I would like to be more proficient at the language than that.

I'd look into the year abroad option too - basically keep your options as open as possible but if you do decide to stay then try to tailor your degree to be as interesting as possible! If you're engaged with the language teaching then that might open up further opportunities to develop your skills beyond the curriculum.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
I'd look into the year abroad option too - basically keep your options as open as possible but if you do decide to stay then try to tailor your degree to be as interesting as possible! If you're engaged with the language teaching then that might open up further opportunities to develop your skills beyond the curriculum.

Thank you so much for you advice. I've had a look into going abroad and discovered that all I have on offer for psych is going abroad for the first semester of year three, something I don't particularly want to do as that feels like quite a key area to do well in. I have had a look at doing some language modules though and I can start doing 1 per semester from next semester. However, just in case my situation does not get better, I have almost completed a new UCAS application and will send it off hopefully very soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending