The Student Room Group

AQA A level Biology Logs/Percentages question

I'm doing an exam paper and it consists on a graph with Log10 number of cells in tumour on the y axis, and time on the x axis. It has a line at y= 9 which is where the tumour can be detected and the question asks to calculate the PERCENTAGE of maximum growth this type of tumour reaches before it can be detected. How would I do this?
Reply 1
The curve plateaus at 12 on the y axis. This means that the maximum growth this tumour can reach is 12. Because the minimum size in which it can be detected is 9, I'm thinking it's just (9/12)x100, which is 75%.
Original post by mushed
I'm doing an exam paper and it consists on a graph with Log10 number of cells in tumour on the y axis, and time on the x axis. It has a line at y= 9 which is where the tumour can be detected and the question asks to calculate the PERCENTAGE of maximum growth this type of tumour reaches before it can be detected. How would I do this?

Hey, this might be a long shot, but did you ever find the answer to this question? I had it in my biology exam earlier today and I don’t know if I did it right?! (Which I probably didn’t haha)
Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by teddyrocks22
Hey, this might be a long shot, but did you ever find the answer to this question? I had it in my biology exam earlier today and I don’t know if I did it right?! (Which I probably didn’t haha)
Thanks!

Hi! I'm so sorry I don't have my exam papers anymore so I can't remember! I'm sure you've done great still haha and one question won't make too much of a difference, as long as you attempted it you'll probably pick up marks :smile:
Original post by mushed
Hi! I'm so sorry I don't have my exam papers anymore so I can't remember! I'm sure you've done great still haha and one question won't make too much of a difference, as long as you attempted it you'll probably pick up marks :smile:

No worries, thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by teddyrocks22
No worries, thank you!

It's log10 divided by 9 = 0.1 recurring
Reply 6
Original post by lanasherman
It's log10 divided by 9 = 0.1 recurring

please explain why x why do we not use the 10^12 if that is the maximum growth?
Reply 7
Because it's asking you to calculate the maximum growth this type of tumour reaches before it can be detected, not after it is detected
Reply 8
Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending