The Student Room Group

UCAS mess

Anyone else find themselves in the position where they are likely to end up with AAAA at A-Level but have made a massive mess of their ucas application? I have and as a result of this i have no current offers. Therefore I am no longer sure wether I should go to the best place i can get in clearing or wait until next year and reapply...

I really don't want to hang around my city for another year on a gap year but also don't want to end up at a university that doesn't reflect my ability.

Dilemmas :frown:

:woo:

not really sure where to put this although its sort of relevant to this forum.
Why don't you wait to see if there are any good courses in clearing first? If not, then just don't apply for them.
What sort of course are you applying for?
I tend to think in your situation its probably best to take a gap year rather than go through clearing. The courses that appear in clearing are rarely those that appeal to AAAA candidates.
If you apply next year you will practically be able to pick and choose where you want to study!
Reply 3
if you apply next year with AAAA already given, you could get some unconditionals from top places pretty quickly.
Reply 4
What subject?
Also back when I was young a GAP year meant traveling for at least part of the year. So you don't have to stay in your home town.
mollymustard
The courses that appear in clearing are rarely those that appeal to AAAA candidates.

That really isn't true. A lot of courses advertise in clearing SOLELY to let in a few students with AAA or above.
Reply 6
PQ
That really isn't true. A lot of courses advertise in clearing SOLELY to let in a few students with AAA or above.

can you give any past examples? :smile:
zef99
can you give any past examples? :smile:

well cambridge was in clearing in 2003...they still weren't accepting anyone with less than AAA then.
PQ

Which ones though? It really depends on course. I mean, I've looked in past clearing lists and have found literally nothing which would appeal to me for English or History. Most of the Unis that appear are Ex-Polys, or places which require very low grades and do not have very good reputations.
Reply 9
Check out the courses on clearing, but why don't you take a gap year, either get some good working experience (relevant to your course if possible), or go learn a language in an other country....
mollymustard
Which ones though? It really depends on course. I mean, I've looked in past clearing lists and have found literally nothing which would appeal to me for English or History. Most of the Unis that appear are Ex-Polys, or places which require very low grades and do not have very good reputations.

MOST of the unis are ex-polys etc - but that doesn't mean there aren't vacancies for plenty of older unis, including members of the russell and 1994 groups. There are plenty of options. Plus most universities will be willing to consider a good applicant through clearing even if they aren't advertising vacancies in a course.

There were over 400 people (IIRC - I haven't got the stats in front of me) starting on medicine degrees last year through clearing - not one medicine degree was advertised but it's unlikely any of those 400 had lower than AAB at A level.
Reply 11
PQ

There were over 400 people (IIRC - I haven't got the stats in front of me) starting on medicine degrees last year through clearing - not one medicine degree was advertised but it's unlikely any of those 400 had lower than AAB at A level.

So would it be worth me phoning up places that i would like to go to which aren't even advertising?
For example: last year

History: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=10045859&postcount=6
Included Birmingham, East Anglia, Essex, Exeter, manchester, Nottingham, Queen Mary, Reading, Royal Holloway and Southampton

English: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=10055634&postcount=21
Included East Anglia (seriously - the HOME of creative writing degrees in the UK), Essex, Goldsmiths, Lancaster, Liverpool, Nottingham, Queen Mary, Queen's Belfast and Reading
PQ
MOST of the unis are ex-polys etc - but that doesn't mean there aren't vacancies for plenty of older unis, including members of the russell and 1994 groups. There are plenty of options. Plus most universities will be willing to consider a good applicant through clearing even if they aren't advertising vacancies in a course.

So basically, just people calling up Uni's to see if they would be considered rather than actually going through the traditional clearing process??
I suppose that is an option that most people don't think about...

I thought that time Cambridge went into Clearing in 2003 was an accident though, and they forgot to opt out rather than actually choosing to opt in?
rninto
So would it be worth me phoning up places that i would like to go to which aren't even advertising?

yes.
mollymustard
So basically, just people calling up Uni's to see if they would be considered rather than actually going through the traditional clearing process??
I suppose that is an option that most people don't think about...

I thought that time Cambridge went into Clearing in 2003 was an accident though, and they forgot to opt out rather than actually choosing to opt in?

it wasn/t an accident - they had vacancies
rninto

Sure, especially if you get AAAA. Which course are you applying for? Dont think that you have to go to Uni this year though, I mean, you're better off taking a gap year, rather than going to a not very good uni this year...
PQ
it wasn/t an accident - they had vacancies

Oh fair enough! I heard that it was a mistake for some reason.
Reply 18
I am sure that I read on TSR that Cambridge ended up in clearing due to some outside college merging with it and that it was only the new college that had places in clearing.

Latest

Trending

Trending