The Student Room Group

Can I get into Cambridge MPhil Neuroscience with a 2.1

I'm a medical student at King's applying for intercalations. By the end of this year I will have got the correct number of credits to have an equivalent to a BSc in biomedical sciences. I'm thinking of applying for MPhil Basic and translational neurosciences at Cambridge, my overall grade average is currently 67%. so a strong 2.1 - I've got lots of extra curriculars and I'm currently helping with research at my associated trust. Will my application be seriously considered or am i just wasting my application fee
Original post by medundergrad
I'm a medical student at King's applying for intercalations. By the end of this year I will have got the correct number of credits to have an equivalent to a BSc in biomedical sciences. I'm thinking of applying for MPhil Basic and translational neurosciences at Cambridge, my overall grade average is currently 67%. so a strong 2.1 - I've got lots of extra curriculars and I'm currently helping with research at my associated trust. Will my application be seriously considered or am i just wasting my application fee

I should mention, I have friends who've been accepted onto Cambridge MPhils, so being an external student shouldn't make too much of a difference
The requirement for that course seems to just be a 2:1 in a relevant bioscience degree, so I imagine you should be considered at least in light of that. Unless the extracurriculars are related to academic research in neuroscience, I don't think they'll make much difference. Research experience is probably a plus but it might depend somewhat on what that actually entailed.

I don't think there's any reason for you to not apply, unless the application process involves costs which would cause financial difficulties for you. Of course there is no guarantee either, so you should make sure you have backup options in case you aren't successful.
Original post by artful_lounger
The requirement for that course seems to just be a 2:1 in a relevant bioscience degree, so I imagine you should be considered at least in light of that. Unless the extracurriculars are related to academic research in neuroscience, I don't think they'll make much difference. Research experience is probably a plus but it might depend somewhat on what that actually entailed.

I don't think there's any reason for you to not apply, unless the application process involves costs which would cause financial difficulties for you. Of course there is no guarantee either, so you should make sure you have backup options in case you aren't successful.

So I designed a qualitative study for chronic pain based on patient symptoms and I'm doing a systematic review of surgical interventions for anyerusms - Oh no don't worry I definitely know that at best my chances are an "it could happen maybe possibly sorta" thing, so I've applied also for King's and UCL for clinical neuroscience - my main issue is I'd have to send in the notice for my house in London if I am by some grace of god accepted so I'm really wondering if my 67% is high enough for my application to be actually considered or is it gonna be a quick rejection sorta thing and im kidding myself a bit - Sorry if this sounds a little clueless, I don't have much info about Cambridge
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by medundergrad
So I designed a qualitative study for chronic pain based on patient symptoms and I'm doing a systematic review of surgical interventions for anyerusms - Oh no don't worry I definitely know that at best my chances are an "it could happen maybe possibly sorta" thing, so I've applied also for King's and UCL for clinical neuroscience - my main issue is I'd have to send in the notice for my house in London so I'm really wondering if my 67% is high enough for my application to be actually considered or is it gonna be a quick rejection sorta thing - Sorry if this sounds a little clueless, I don't have much info about Cambridge

A good 2:1 I think would certainly be enough to be considered. While your research work is more clinical than academic it is "basic and translational" so, I imagine still relevant? In terms of timescale, I got the impression graduate admissions (which an MPhil application would go through) can take a long time to hear back from. I think it's potentially more likely you wouldn't hear back for a while either way, rather than getting rejected quickly.
Original post by artful_lounger
A good 2:1 I think would certainly be enough to be considered. While your research work is more clinical than academic it is "basic and translational" so, I imagine still relevant? In terms of timescale, I got the impression graduate admissions (which an MPhil application would go through) can take a long time to hear back from. I think it's potentially more likely you wouldn't hear back for a while either way, rather than getting rejected quickly.

Ahh okays, so either way I've got a bit of a wait on my hands - well thank you for assuaging some worries
Reply 6
Hi @medundergrad !
I am currently pondering about the same worries, I also have similar background to yours. Would you mind sharing how it went for you (I know its been a while, but this would greatly help me make some crucial decisions)

Thanks in advance ❤️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending