The Student Room Group

MPhil confusion??

I am applying for a MPhil course at Cambridge, but my academic referee just emailed me asked me that since this s an entry to a PhD program, there are asking way more specific points to be mentioned in the reference. So just wondering, is MPhil course really suitable for recent graduates or is it Cambridge just being Cambridge? Cambridge doesn't do Msc for the field I'm interested in (neuroscience) so I didn't have other option but to go for a MPhil course which I don't mind doing as I am thinking of getting into research anyway. But is MPhil a no go for a recent graduate?
Original post by AAA*
I am applying for a MPhil course at Cambridge, but my academic referee just emailed me asked me that since this s an entry to a PhD program, there are asking way more specific points to be mentioned in the reference. So just wondering, is MPhil course really suitable for recent graduates or is it Cambridge just being Cambridge? Cambridge doesn't do Msc for the field I'm interested in (neuroscience) so I didn't have other option but to go for a MPhil course which I don't mind doing as I am thinking of getting into research anyway. But is MPhil a no go for a recent graduate?

In the UK, degree titles are not consistent between universities. At Cambridge, an MPhil is their standard, 1 year postgraduate Masters. In most other universities, the same degree would be an MA or MSc. in some universities MPhil means a direct precursor to a PhD or even is the degree offered if you fail a PhD but still achieve Masters level work.

So you should tell your referee that at Cambridge and MPhil is their standard, standalone Masters degree, and is not an automatic entry to a PhD. If you wanted to continue to a PhD at Cam you'd apply again like anyone else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending