The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge MPhil/Imperial MSc with 65% equivalent

I intend to pursue a career in environmental and/or development consultancy (World Bank, UNEP, UNDP, ICF, MottMac come to mind). Is it reasonable to apply for Cambridge's MPhil in Engineering in Sustainable Development or Imperial's MSc in Environmental Technology with a middling 2:1? Or should I aim lower since the minimum requirement for the programmes are 2:1 and I'm not sure if my profile fits the bill? No harm applying for sure but just wanted a third-party opinion. Thanks!

My profile:
BEng 4.25/5.0 CGPA (UK equivalent would be a 65%) from top university in Singapore (NUS).
5 months internship in an ACMV firm dealing with energy efficient projects.
Final year research project in energy sustainability with a professor with industry experience.
1 year of experience with UK-based environmental consultancy (RSK group).
I don’t know anyone who has graduated from either of these courses but from the MSc engineers I know at Imperial, most of them did strongly at undergrad (i.e. a good first mid/high 70s and higher), although it was a different course so hard to say (you’ll have to apply to find out).

For Cambridge MPhil, well an MPhil is a research degree so being academically capable is important, there are more factors, such as experience, knowledge on the area, your research proposal, what are the costs of the research, popularity & space in the lab, rapport with the the PI, a mid - 2.1 would probably be the minimum to be considered but your ability to get accepted will depend on the rest of the factors.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
I don’t know anyone who has graduated from either of these courses but from the MSc engineers I know at Imperial, most of them did strongly at undergrad (i.e. a good first mid/high 70s and higher), although it was a different course so hard to say (you’ll have to apply to find out).

For Cambridge MPhil, well an MPhil is a research degree so being academically capable is important, there are more factors, such as experience, knowledge on the area, your research proposal, what are the costs of the research, popularity & space in the lab, rapport with the the PI, a mid - 2.1 would probably be the minimum to be considered but your ability to get accepted will depend on the rest of the factors.

Thank you for the reply! The two masters I mentioned are actually taught masters geared towards professionals, so not research masters for potential academia. I was hoping my related work experience + dissertation would be useful in applications, to make up for my grades. Would appreciate any bits of knowledge/advice on admissions into taught masters programmes!
Original post by auroraxan
Thank you for the reply! The two masters I mentioned are actually taught masters geared towards professionals, so not research masters for potential academia. I was hoping my related work experience + dissertation would be useful in applications, to make up for my grades. Would appreciate any bits of knowledge/advice on admissions into taught masters programmes!

Thats unusual, most MPhils are research, surprised they don’t award an MSc then.

Well you’d be applying for a masters at Cambridge so id say you would probably find most candidates have stronger academics but that doesn’t mean you couldn’t get an offer, perhaps email them and find out if you would be a strong candidate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending