The Student Room Group

Should I do a masters before applying for graduate entry medicine?

Hi, I'm coming to the end of my 3rd year studying genetics and recently I've become obsessed with the idea of medicine as a career. It might be with the coronavirus situation and the respect I've gained for the NHS as a result.
Anyway, I'm expecting to just about get a 2.1 and I know I'm wayy to late to apply for 2020 graduate entry. But before this I was set on doing an MSc in Genomic medicine anyway and I've just been thinking with this revelation, would it be more worth my time doing the masters and trying to fit in a part time HCA or care assistant job/volunteering around it, or spending the entire year getting as much experience as I can if I want to get into medicine? What do they look for?
If I get a 2.1 are they more bothered about the experience in raw health care? Alternatively, if I get a 2.2 (Nottingham and St Georges accept this), would it be worth getting a higher degree to compensate?
If I do well on the GAMSAT, as I know this is how the initial application is scored alongside your degree, I'm not sure whether my application would fare better for consideration in the interview if I had an MSc or more experience in care.
I should note that I have done little bits of volunteering in hospital and last year I worked full time for 8 weeks as a summer care assistant at a childrens hospice.
Thanks guys!
Reply 1
A masters won't make you stand out much more, unless you get a 2.2 then I would recommend doing one (which is what I did). Working full-time as a HCA and saving what you can would be more useful imo. Then you can focus more on the entrance exams as well.
Original post by Marathi
A masters won't make you stand out much more, unless you get a 2.2 then I would recommend doing one (which is what I did). Working full-time as a HCA and saving what you can would be more useful imo. Then you can focus more on the entrance exams as well.

Thank you! Are you in medical school now? Also, by entrance exams do you mean GAMSAT/UCAT etc.?
Reply 3
Original post by Genetics Stud
Thank you! Are you in medical school now? Also, by entrance exams do you mean GAMSAT/UCAT etc.?

Yes I'm a 3rd year GEM student at Warwick. Yes that's what I was referring to.
Reply 4
Original post by Genetics Stud
Hi, I'm coming to the end of my 3rd year studying genetics and recently I've become obsessed with the idea of medicine as a career. It might be with the coronavirus situation and the respect I've gained for the NHS as a result.
Anyway, I'm expecting to just about get a 2.1 and I know I'm wayy to late to apply for 2020 graduate entry. But before this I was set on doing an MSc in Genomic medicine anyway and I've just been thinking with this revelation, would it be more worth my time doing the masters and trying to fit in a part time HCA or care assistant job/volunteering around it, or spending the entire year getting as much experience as I can if I want to get into medicine? What do they look for?
If I get a 2.1 are they more bothered about the experience in raw health care? Alternatively, if I get a 2.2 (Nottingham and St Georges accept this), would it be worth getting a higher degree to compensate?
If I do well on the GAMSAT, as I know this is how the initial application is scored alongside your degree, I'm not sure whether my application would fare better for consideration in the interview if I had an MSc or more experience in care.
I should note that I have done little bits of volunteering in hospital and last year I worked full time for 8 weeks as a summer care assistant at a childrens hospice.
Thanks guys!

Hi, there I'm in the same situation as you right now. What did you end up choosing if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 5
Original post by Marathi
Yes I'm a 3rd year GEM student at Warwick. Yes that's what I was referring to.

Hi, If you don't mind me asking what masters did you do? I'm planning on taking a similar route. Thank you.

Latest

Trending

Trending