The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

University of Dundee vs University of Edinburgh for Life Sciences.

Hello
I'm currently holding offers from the University of Edinburgh and Dundee. However, I'm unsure about which uni I should choose as my firm choice bcs as far as I know both are great in Life Sciences. I'd appreciate if you could give me any advice, thoughts or share your own experiences in one of these universities.

Many thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
hey those are both good unis but why don’t you look at YouTube videos of both universities and see what type of vibes.Yes you want to go to a university that is good in waft you want study but will the environment be for you?I don’t think any one can tell you that as people have different perspectives but you can get advice from others
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 2
Original post by k1255
hey those are both good unis but why don’t you look at YouTube videos of both universities and see what type of vibes.Yes you want to go to a university that is good in waft you want study but will the environment be for you?I don’t think any one can tell you that as people have different perspectives but you can get advice from others

Thank you very much for your reply! Honestly, I'm very bad at making decisions so I thought it may be a good idea to ask for opinions and see what people would choose. But you are right as it has to be an individual decision
University of Edinburgh all the way, it is a top university globally (top 20 in the QS ranking), Dundee is 302. I don't even get where the idea of Dundee being a good university comes from, it doesn't have a good reputation, or any reputation for that matter.
I know nothing about the course but here are some factors to consider :
- university sports/societies
- nightlife
- distance from home/loved ones
- if you know anyone there you want to be with/avoid
- your offer grades
- course modules
- location of uni
- public transport links

PS - I personally like them both and wouldn't be able to choose between the two and well done on your offers :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by stereotypeasian
I know nothing about the course but here are some factors to consider :
- university sports/societies
- nightlife
- distance from home/loved ones
- if you know anyone there you want to be with/avoid
- your offer grades
- course modules
- location of uni
- public transport links

PS - I personally like them both and wouldn't be able to choose between the two and well done on your offers :biggrin:

Thank you very much! :biggrin: I did think about some of those factors but still, I can't make up my mind haha.
P.S Have you applied to one of these unis?
Original post by lisha2405
Thank you very much! :biggrin: I did think about some of those factors but still, I can't make up my mind haha.
P.S Have you applied to one of these unis?

To answer your question:
I applied to medicine this year and you know how there is 5 Scottish medical schools but you can only put 4 medicine choices with a non-medicine 5th choice backup down on UCAS - I literally couldn't decide what 4 I wanted out of Glasgow Aberdeen Dundee Edinburgh and St Andrews. In the end I applied to everywhere but Dundee medical school so Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee and St Andrews (legit just decided on the day my UCAS form was supposed to be sent away so I need better organisation lol)
Original post by thisislexis
University of Edinburgh all the way, it is a top university globally (top 20 in the QS ranking), Dundee is 302. I don't even get where the idea of Dundee being a good university comes from, it doesn't have a good reputation, or any reputation for that matter.

Hello
I'm currently holding offers from the University of Edinburgh and Dundee. However, I'm unsure about which uni I should choose as my firm choice bcs as far as I know both are great in Life Sciences. I'd appreciate if you could give me any advice, thoughts or share your own experiences in one of these universities.

Many thanks! :smile:

Dundee has a superb reputation for the life sciences. along with Medicine it is Dundee's speciality.

It would be an extremely tough decision - Edinburgh is one of the very worst unis in the whole of the UK for Student Satisfaction and consistently in every single year, however i would be so, so tempted to still take the risk and go with Edinburgh for the better quality of life there than Dundee which is cheap but not quite as interesting
Reply 8
Original post by A Rolling Stone
Dundee has a superb reputation for the life sciences. along with Medicine it is Dundee's speciality.

It would be an extremely tough decision - Edinburgh is one of the very worst unis in the whole of the UK for Student Satisfaction and consistently in every single year, however i would be so, so tempted to still take the risk and go with Edinburgh for the better quality of life there than Dundee which is cheap but not quite as interesting

Thank you very much for replying! :smile: I know Dundee has a good reputation in the UK for life sciences but I'm not sure if it's internationally recognised. However, as Edinburgh is so well ranked, it's known as a prestige uni. In other words, do you know if Dundee is globally recognised? :biggrin:

Again, many thanks for giving me your opinion
Thank you very much for replying! :smile: I know Dundee has a good reputation in the UK for life sciences but I'm not sure if it's internationally recognised. However, as Edinburgh is so well ranked, it's known as a prestige uni. In other words, do you know if Dundee is globally recognised? :biggrin:

Again, many thanks for giving me your opinion

prestige matters nothing for the life sciences, trust me! what matters most is work experience and unfortunately a PhD.
Reply 10
Original post by A Rolling Stone
prestige matters nothing for the life sciences, trust me! what matters most is work experience and unfortunately a PhD.

Thank you very much for the information :biggrin: I thought that some companies are more biased for students that have studied in a prestigious uni. It's good to know that it's not really that important :smile:.

P.S Are you studying Life Sciences as well? If so, where? I'm curious :smile:
Thank you very much for the information :biggrin: I thought that some companies are more biased for students that have studied in a prestigious uni. It's good to know that it's not really that important :smile:.

P.S Are you studying Life Sciences as well? If so, where? I'm curious :smile:

uni prestige is only really relevant for Law firms tbh. otherwise for non-science careers, having a good uni on your CV is sensible just to create a good impression, but when you are talking about two good unis then HR managers won't filter out one from the other. for science careers, it's all about what level of education you have studied at. I did Biochemistry at St A in Scotland despite coming from London :smile:
Writing as a professor of medicine and consultant at a large UK teaching hospital, I am satisfied that I chose to study medicine at Dundee.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending