The Student Room Group

Goldsmiths vs City

A bit of background. I’ve just completed a Humanities access course and received 39 credits at Distinction, 6 at Merit plus the standard extra 15 credits at pass. I want to study Sociology and whilst I have the access results to get into KCL/UCL, I don’t have the GCSE’s.

I meet the Goldsmiths and City requirements and I want to study Sociology, I’ve looked on their websites at their courses, Goldsmiths has a breakdown of their modules, City just the module names. I’m looking to go Uni in 2021 so I realise there’s plenty of time and there’ll be open days later on in the year but I’m just trying to prepare

Does anyone have any experience of the Unis? What they felt was better? Or how they differed? Especially in relation to doing a Sociology degree

Also is there anywhere where I can get a more in-depth look at each of the courses they provide other than from their websites? As City especially is limited
Reply 1
Bump
Original post by Kuala
A bit of background. I’ve just completed a Humanities access course and received 39 credits at Distinction, 6 at Merit plus the standard extra 15 credits at pass. I want to study Sociology and whilst I have the access results to get into KCL/UCL, I don’t have the GCSE’s.

I meet the Goldsmiths and City requirements and I want to study Sociology, I’ve looked on their websites at their courses, Goldsmiths has a breakdown of their modules, City just the module names. I’m looking to go Uni in 2021 so I realise there’s plenty of time and there’ll be open days later on in the year but I’m just trying to prepare

Does anyone have any experience of the Unis? What they felt was better? Or how they differed? Especially in relation to doing a Sociology degree

Also is there anywhere where I can get a more in-depth look at each of the courses they provide other than from their websites? As City especially is limited

All my GCSE's are D, and have got in to the best universities aside from Cambridge/Oxford. Going to Durham in September, 99% of universities will not care about them in regards to mature students.
Reply 3
Original post by random_matt
All my GCSE's are D, and have got in to the best universities aside from Cambridge/Oxford. Going to Durham in September, 99% of universities will not care about them in regards to mature students.

Congratulations! May I know what you took/studied in order to get into Durham? Was it a Humanities Access course like OP above?

I’m assuming you’re going to do a bachelor’s degree from scatch in Durham? Good luck!
Original post by Anonymous
Congratulations! May I know what you took/studied in order to get into Durham? Was it a Humanities Access course like OP above?

I’m assuming you’re going to do a bachelor’s degree from scatch in Durham? Good luck!

Psychology and yes.
Silly me, this thread was two years old. Whoops, lol.
Reply 6
Silly me, this thread was two years old. Whoops, lol.

Oh you're not silly, matt. I'm the one who made this thread come up today because I'm curious to know what other people had to say. In my case, I don't have A-levels and I feel I'm too old.. but was wondering which path I should take to get into university. Was also curious about Goldsmiths vs City.
Oh you're not silly, matt. I'm the one who made this thread come up today because I'm curious to know what other people had to say. In my case, I don't have A-levels and I feel I'm too old.. but was wondering which path I should take to get into university. Was also curious about Goldsmiths vs City.

Goldsmiths is in an unfavourable location in my opinion. Plenty of kebab shops, should give you an idea. Ultimately, it depends on how well you do on an access course, if you do well you can apply just about anywhere. Outside of UCL, KCL, and LSE, SOAS is the only other London university I would even consider. The only one which would be picky on GCSE would be UCL, the others should not pose any issue for mature students.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 8
Goldsmiths is in an unfavourable location in my opinion. Plenty of kebab shops, should give you an idea. Ultimately, it depends on how well you do on an access course, if you do well you can apply just about anywhere. Outside of UCL, KCL, and LSE, SOAS is the only other London university I would even consider. The only one which would be picky on GCSE would be UCL, the others should not pose any issue for mature students.

Thanks. I suppose the first step is for me to find the right access course and then I must do well in that. Oh, before that I must also find out how I can fund it, in case I need to focus on it full time.
Thanks. I suppose the first step is for me to find the right access course and then I must do well in that. Oh, before that I must also find out how I can fund it, in case I need to focus on it full time.

You can take out an advanced learner loan from SFE. However, make sure the colleges you research offer this facility, you do not pay it back if you finish the course. Learn direct and others do not take part in the scheme, mostly brick and mortar colleges that do.
You can take out an advanced learner loan from SFE. However, make sure the colleges you research offer this facility, you do not pay it back if you finish the course. Learn direct and others do not take part in the scheme, mostly brick and mortar colleges that do.

Thanks, matt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending