The Student Room Group

Bath vs Goldsmiths vs Northumbria vs York (online MSc Artificial Intelligence)

I am having a hard time choosing between these universities. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on these courses? I don't want to waste my time and money

- University of Bath - Artificial Intelligence online MSc
- Goldsmiths, ULondon - Data Science and Artificial Intelligence online MSc
- University of York - Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence online MSc
- Northumbria University - Computer Science with Artificial Intelligence online MSc

Any help will be hugely appreciated!
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi..did you find out more information?
Reply 2
The online courses at Bath are good quality and Goldsmiths generally run good tech courses (I'm not sure about the quality of their online offerings though). I'd be wary of Northumbria and definitely avoid York (search this forum if you're wondering why). The online AI courses at Imperial, Leeds and Liverpool are also worth considering.
Thank you!

I have received an offer from Bath.

I have also noted University of Essex offering online MSc artificial intelligence. I have been asked to take an aptitude test which is part of the application process. Any idea about this university. Just wanting to know more as they offer the MSc for £9000 whereas Bath is approximately £13000
Reply 4
Original post by AspirantOnlineM
Thank you!

I have also noted University of Essex offering online MSc artificial intelligence. I have been asked to take an aptitude test which is part of the application process. Any idea about this university. Just wanting to know more as they offer the MSc for £9000 whereas Bath is approximately £13000

Congrats. Hm, it shows £11,836 as the price for me on the University of Essex website. I believe they also have a good CS department but again I can't really comment on the quality of their online courses. I notice they are offering their online degrees via a third-party provider like York do but that doesn't necessarily mean they are bad as it's a different company. Oh, Georgia Tech and other US options are worth considering too... CS and related courses in the US generally seem to be better than UK ones from what I've seen (although don't always include a project so may not be suitable if you want to move onto a PhD afterwards).
(edited 1 year ago)
Ive done York's and im currently on Goldsmiths, Yorks is ok for a taster of computer science, goldsmiths is probably the better of the two.
Reply 6
Original post by AspirantOnlineM
Thank you!

Hello, are you currently studying Bath's course? I would love to hear some reviews about it as I am also considering to join (offer received). I heard that the course at Bath, as well as all other online courses from UK universities, is lack of student support, no solution/feedback for exercises, even no pre-recorded lectures. Is it all true?
Reply 7
Original post by dat9395
Hello, are you currently studying Bath's course? I would love to hear some reviews about it as I am also considering to join (offer received). I heard that the course at Bath, as well as all other online courses from UK universities, is lack of student support, no solution/feedback for exercises, even no pre-recorded lectures. Is it all true?

I would also like to know the answer to this question as I plan to study with Bath in September.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by dat9395

Bump
Reply 9
Original post by Chrisaddo
I would also like to know the answer to this question as I plan to study with Bath in September.

A person replied to me on Reddit as below:

"Student here. Joined last January and going through the modules. Overall, I think it has pretty good content and the level of tutors is high. I particularly enjoyed the course about Foundations of Computations. Although the course is designed as a part-time program, I have to admit I spent many hours per week studying this fascinating subject. Marking can be slow. Usually, it takes 15 working days and sometimes there might be delays of a few days, but tutors are very responsive. If you ask anything they are ready to help/reply. Hope you fins this helpful."

But I'm not sure if this is a real student, sounds like recruiter...
Reply 10
Original post by dat9395
A person replied to me on Reddit as below:

"Student here. Joined last January and going through the modules. Overall, I think it has pretty good content and the level of tutors is high. I particularly enjoyed the course about Foundations of Computations. Although the course is designed as a part-time program, I have to admit I spent many hours per week studying this fascinating subject. Marking can be slow. Usually, it takes 15 working days and sometimes there might be delays of a few days, but tutors are very responsive. If you ask anything they are ready to help/reply. Hope you fins this helpful."

But I'm not sure if this is a real student, sounds like recruiter...

I'm at the dissertation stage of the MSc Computer Science course and agree with those comments. They say the marking will take 15 days for each assignment (apart from the dissertation), which seems reasonable - sometimes it is returned a few days early and sometimes a few days late. The tutors are indeed very helpful and responsive. You will need to work hard to complete all of the courseworks but the tutors know that most of us work full time and have other commitments so when you need an extension or to take a break from the course they are understanding about it. In short, Bath seem to care just as much about their online students as they do their on-campus ones and from what I've seen the treatment is equal. This doesn't seem to be the case with most other online degrees but Bath are different.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Qualia
I'm at the dissertation stage of the MSc Computer Science course and agree with those comments. They say the marking will take 15 days for each assignment (apart from the dissertation), which seems reasonable - sometimes it is returned a few days early and sometimes a few days late. The tutors are indeed very helpful and responsive. You will need to work hard to complete all of the courseworks but the tutors know that most of us work full time and have other commitments so when you need an extension or to take a break from the course they are understanding about it. In short, Bath seem to care just as much about their online students as they do their on-campus ones and from what I've seen the treatment is equal. This doesn't seem to be the case with most other online degrees but Bath are different.

Great, thanks a lot for your feedback! I'm gonna go ahead with the registration then. Thanks again
Reply 12
Original post by dat9395
Great, thanks a lot for your feedback! I'm gonna go ahead with the registration then. Thanks again

Thanks all. I've just registered and made my first payment for bath. Can't wait to start the course in 2 weeks time!
Reply 13
Original post by Altaranfer123
Ive done York's and im currently on Goldsmiths, Yorks is ok for a taster of computer science, goldsmiths is probably the better of the two.

I have heard alot of bad reviews for BSc CS at goldsmith and very low ranked. Could u justify it to me before I apply? Please
Reply 14
Original post by Chrisaddo
Thanks all. I've just registered and made my first payment for bath. Can't wait to start the course in 2 weeks time!

Hi, could you share your impression of the course so far?
Original post by ayat10
I have heard alot of bad reviews for BSc CS at goldsmith and very low ranked. Could u justify it to me before I apply? Please

It's the most foundational course there is, I would say by the end of it you know way more computer science than if you just an MSc, in my case i don't care too much about the rank as I already have the York MSc, plus I am doing a PhD in computer at UEA. But if it's ranking you are concerned about then yes go with bath or york imo.
Reply 16
Original post by Qualia
Congrats. Hm, it shows £11,836 as the price for me on the University of Essex website. I believe they also have a good CS department but again I can't really comment on the quality of their online courses. I notice they are offering their online degrees via a third-party provider like York do but that doesn't necessarily mean they are bad as it's a different company. Oh, Georgia Tech and other US options are worth considering too... CS and related courses in the US generally seem to be better than UK ones from what I've seen (although don't always include a project so may not be suitable if you want to move onto a PhD afterwards).

Yes...now the price is above 12.000

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending