The Student Room Group
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London

Is Goldsmiths a good University?

Hi, I'm looking at Goldsmiths Uni for Law with Criminal Justice and Human Rights.
I've heard some bad reviews of the university like its a bad area with a high crime rate and your work is given back with no feedback or marks.
I've also heard its an amazing university for law, great facilities plus amazing help with future careers.
Would someone mind telling me what Goldsmiths is really like and if what I have heard is true. This course is the only one like it in the UK and I would love to study the course.

Update - Spoke to the uni about what i heard the and the person on the online chat was very rude and was not helpful at all. Gave me a really bad vibe on the place. I will definitely not be going to Goldsmiths because of this interaction and other factors.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think there are better unis than Goldsmiths for Law. If you can aim higher, I would recommend you do that.
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London
Original post by Titch1781
Hi, I'm looking at Goldsmiths Uni for Law with Criminal Justice and Human Rights.
I've heard some bad reviews of the university like its a bad area with a high crime rate and your work is given back with no feedback or marks.
I've also heard its an amazing university for law, great facilities plus amazing help with future careers.
Would someone mind telling me what Goldsmiths is really like and if what I have heard is true. This course is the only one like it in the UK and I would love to study the course.

It's pretty crap, to be honest. You could do a lot better.
Reply 3
Original post by ryanrobsonTV
I think there are better unis than Goldsmiths for Law. If you can aim higher, I would recommend you do that.

Hi thanks for this, I was just interested because of the uniqueness of the course. I don't want to study a single honours law degree. Just removed it of my ucas admissions form. :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check

Thanks for the bluntness I like that. :smile:
Thanks for the bluntness I like that. :smile:

:smile: No point mucking about with it, is there?
amazing university. good vibes and high standards. world class teaching.
Reply 7
:smile: No point mucking about with it, is there?

Ive just realised your account is called reality check. Hence the bluntness. Absolutely love it. I need you for all my decision's for university.
Reply 8
Original post by Proxenus
amazing university. good vibes and high standards. world class teaching.

Oh really, from the rest of the replies apparently its rubbish. Where did you get the info from? :smile:
Oh really, from the rest of the replies apparently its rubbish. Where did you get the info from? :smile:

Calvin
Reply 10
Update - Spoke to the uni about what i heard the and the person on the online chat was very rude and was not helpful at all. Gave me a really bad vibe on the place. I will definitely not be going to Goldsmiths because of this interaction and other factors.

what's other options you got
Reply 12
Original post by Proxenus
what's other options you got

Well you see I was stuck between studying Law with criminology or criminology. But as goldsmiths probably isn't the best option, It makes me think I should stick with criminology. My choices are -

University of Birmingham - Criminology (maybe social policy and criminology)
University of Bath - Criminology
University of Manchester - Philosophy and criminology.
Royal Holloway, University of London - Sociology and criminology

I just need a final option. Im thinking either Liverpool uni, Edge hill or Lancaster.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 13
Hi, I go to Goldsmiths Law (third year) and I’m surprised you had such an experience. I think the department and uni generally are fantastic! The law department is particularly good because it’s a brand new course which has been curated to mix the more traditional aspects of law (with a strong focus on criminal justice and international human rights) with more modern and niche modules (like AI, disruptive technologies and the law). The department itself is really well funded and the opportunities are amazing. I really like the area personally, new cross itself is super studenty, and there are lots of nice surrounding areas; like Greenwich, Brockley, riverside areas, and it’s really easy to be in central quickly.I have never regretted the decision to come here, and the law department is only improving year on year - so many opportunities to go to magic circle firms and win mini pupillage at prestigious chambers! I recently obtained a mentorship from a high level city solicitor due to their interest in the new programme at Goldsmiths. Happy to chat to you if you want any more info! Good luck with your applications
Hi! I’m literally on the second year of this course. Goldsmiths is a great uni and the Law department go above and beyond to support students. I have not heard anyone from my course say that they haven’t received feedback on their work. The Law department also helps us with networking and provides us with multiple opportunities to enrich our CV.As for crime rate, its a London university. London is a big city and as such the crime rate is obviously going to be higher than a place like Northampton.
Such a shame to read some of the comments regarding Goldsmiths law department in a negative light, as my experience has been nothing but positive. I am a third year law student at Goldsmiths and would absolutely recommend it to anyone interested in studying law. The whole department is very close-knit and has been supportive from day one, particularly during recent times of uncertainty. Every piece of work I have submitted has always been returned with constructive feedback and helpful advise. To be honest I have loved my experience at Goldsmiths.
omg those people above are an army of lies defending the uni lol

Hey, out of curiosity, why do you think it's crap? What are you basing this on?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
omg those people above are an army of lies defending the uni lol

Do you do Law at Goldsmiths too?
Original post by OB2001
Hi, I go to Goldsmiths Law (third year) and I’m surprised you had such an experience. I think the department and uni generally are fantastic! The law department is particularly good because it’s a brand new course which has been curated to mix the more traditional aspects of law (with a strong focus on criminal justice and international human rights) with more modern and niche modules (like AI, disruptive technologies and the law). The department itself is really well funded and the opportunities are amazing. I really like the area personally, new cross itself is super studenty, and there are lots of nice surrounding areas; like Greenwich, Brockley, riverside areas, and it’s really easy to be in central quickly.I have never regretted the decision to come here, and the law department is only improving year on year - so many opportunities to go to magic circle firms and win mini pupillage at prestigious chambers! I recently obtained a mentorship from a high level city solicitor due to their interest in the new programme at Goldsmiths. Happy to chat to you if you want any more info! Good luck with your applications

Original post by thetruthpleaser
Hi! I’m literally on the second year of this course. Goldsmiths is a great uni and the Law department go above and beyond to support students. I have not heard anyone from my course say that they haven’t received feedback on their work. The Law department also helps us with networking and provides us with multiple opportunities to enrich our CV.As for crime rate, its a London university. London is a big city and as such the crime rate is obviously going to be higher than a place like Northampton.

Original post by Brendan27
Such a shame to read some of the comments regarding Goldsmiths law department in a negative light, as my experience has been nothing but positive. I am a third year law student at Goldsmiths and would absolutely recommend it to anyone interested in studying law. The whole department is very close-knit and has been supportive from day one, particularly during recent times of uncertainty. Every piece of work I have submitted has always been returned with constructive feedback and helpful advise. To be honest I have loved my experience at Goldsmiths.

3 people, all with glowing praise for this university and all with new accounts with exactly one post - this one.

@BlinkyBill
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending