The Student Room Group

UIUC (in the US) vs Imperial College London for Computer Science

Hello,
I'm an international student for both. UIUC seems to be far ahead of Imperial specifically in CS, and has great job prospects in the US tech industry. However, Imperial is ahead of UIUC overall in terms of academic strength and prestige. Additionally, it may be easier to get work visas in the UK. Any advice would be appreciated
UIUC = University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, bit flat, windy, cold winters, illegal to drink under-age (21) I’ve seen armed campus police raids at LSJU.

Pandemic? That’s supposed to be causing a mild crisis in UK university receipts concerning foreign students. Apparently the same feeling is that it may cause a major crisis in US university receipts concerning foreign students. That’s this autumn’s start season. Maybe next year will be back to normal.

America pays better salaries than the UK, cost of living is cheaper, it’s often less damp & crowded.
ICL is pretty good, certainly great value for money, and London is an amazing world city, not representative of the rest of the UK, which is quietly decaying in terms of personal freedoms, jobs, salaries and quality of life, and quality of institutions:government, press, nhs, royals - you name it!
UIUC is good but it's not that good. If it were MIT or CalTech or Carnegie Mellon vs Imperial I could understand leaning towards the US college, but UIUC doesn't seem really comparable to me, unless tuition is significantly less there than Imperial...

You can work in the "US tech industry" with a degree from any country provided you can get a working visa - and that is going to be the hard part no matter where you study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending