The Student Room Group

University Options

I'm in Year 12 right now and I'm getting 4A*'s in Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Computer Science.

I either want to do computer science or economics for university. I have JP Morgan work experience for both coming up in the summer. I also have pwc work experience in July.
I have read lots of economics books and have done a lot of coding projects.

Do I have a chance at the top unis?
An economics degree is not a degree in investment banking nor in accounting. Not sure how that work experience is really specifically relevant to that subject.

Otherwise if you are predicted A*A*A*A* in those subjects you should be fine for either option. Try and do more specifically economics related things and not "I'm just applying to economics because I want to be an investment banker". Also see what other maths and CS related activities you can do - hackathons, robotics competitions, BMO/SMC etc.
Original post by SohamJain
I'm in Year 12 right now and I'm getting 4A*'s in Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Computer Science.
I either want to do computer science or economics for university. I have JP Morgan work experience for both coming up in the summer. I also have pwc work experience in July.
Hi,

I hope you are doing well.

UEL offers BSc Economics and applications can be made using the following link: BSc (Hons) Economics | University of East London (uel.ac.uk)

UEL offers BSc Computer Science and applications can be made using the following link: BSc (Hons) Computer Science | University of East London (uel.ac.uk)

You can also speak to Student Ambassadors studying your course. They can be reached using the following website:
Chat to our students | University of East London (uel.ac.uk)

Please note that you may wish to register for our upcoming Open Event Day with the link provided: UEL | Open Event Day

For further information, please feel free to contact Applicant Engagement via telephone on 0208 223 3333.

-Anisha
Reply 3
CS at top unis you want to be excellent at mathematics and mathematical problem solving to get in, especially along the lines of oxbridge/imperial etc. Have a go at some old STEP 1 papers if you can or TMUA/MAT etc. Coding projects are a side bonus that you can put in the PS along with all the normal stuff you should. Go to open days to find out more. Doesn't sound like your work experience will count for much CS-wise but enjoy it nonetheless - can't say much about economics, sorry. Make sure you go into a field because you enjoy it, not just for future potential earnings (there is a massive difference between CS and economics so you better decide soon!). Good luck
Hello @SohamJain,

It sounds like you have been working really hard to put yourself in a strong position when applying for degrees - so first I would like to say well done for the progress you have made so far!

My advice would be to decide which are the top institutions for you, according to the factors you value the most and research their entry requirements. You can check their websites and contact their admissions departments for advice. Your career advisor at your school/college will also be able to help with this process.

Additionally, I would love to share our computer science study guide which has a lot of information around career prospects, salary expectations and tips on how to prepare for a computer science degree. I think this would be helpful to you when choosing between computer science and economics, whilst also helping you prepare for your degree ahead 😊 - https://bit.ly/3TrrFLd

I hope that this helps. Good luck!

Thanks,

Becky
Reply 5
Sure why not? Your predicted grades are excellent and you're doing relevant work experience. I think you can apply to any university you want and will be considered. Perhaps a mix of the very top unis and a couple of second tier ranked ones?
Are those working at grades? It's early to be predicted A* when you've not even covered half the material.

Which courses were you looking at? What are you school suggesting?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending