The Student Room Group

IBMS top up modules for non accredited Biomedical Science degrees

Hello,I was hoping for some advice on the IBMS accreditation process. I did a Biomedical Science degree and graduated in 2018 but the degree was not accredited. I'm exploring my career options and looking into getting the course evaluated in order to work in an NHS lab, though I have no postgraduate lab experience.I have seen already that the cost of the evaluation is a whopping £290 already. I was wondering whether anybody has completed/is doing the suggested top up modules and what kind of price those are? Also do you have to physically attend the university for say a year, or can it be done in a number of months? I know this will all depend on how many modules people have to do but it would be great to hear about people's own experiences.Thanks!
Original post by biomedical-grad
Hello,I was hoping for some advice on the IBMS accreditation process. I did a Biomedical Science degree and graduated in 2018 but the degree was not accredited. I'm exploring my career options and looking into getting the course evaluated in order to work in an NHS lab, though I have no postgraduate lab experience.I have seen already that the cost of the evaluation is a whopping £290 already. I was wondering whether anybody has completed/is doing the suggested top up modules and what kind of price those are? Also do you have to physically attend the university for say a year, or can it be done in a number of months? I know this will all depend on how many modules people have to do but it would be great to hear about people's own experiences.Thanks!

Hey I’ve been there, done that and now I’m my 5th year of NHS service. DM me with any questions 👍
Original post by biomedical-grad

They'll tell you what modules you need, but not where and when. It depends on the provider you choose.
Hi @biomedical-grad. I am in a similar situation to yourself. I graduated in 2018 with a degree in Biomedical Sciences which is unaccredited. In 2019 I paid for my degree to be assessed and they replied telling me I needed to do 7 top up modules. I appealed with extra evidence and they accepted 5 of them, so now I only have to do 2. I went travelling/worked part time last year and then managed to get a band 2 Biomedical Assistant position at a blood sciences lab in March of this year (after applying for around 60 jobs). I have been working at my hospital since then and already have been offered an interview for a Band 3 position in the same trust (although I actually wasn't able to attend but it just proves how much help having your foot in the door can be as previously I was always turned down for Band 3 roles). I am applying to do my 2 top up modules at Aston university this September to complete by distance learning. Theoretically I should only have to attend the uni twice, once for an induction day and once for both exams in January. After this I will be accredited and hope to apply for Band 3 or trainee roles. The modules are going to cost me £1100 which is a lot but I see it as an investment in my career :smile:
Original post by Welshgirl27
Hi @biomedical-grad. I am in a similar situation to yourself. I graduated in 2018 with a degree in Biomedical Sciences which is unaccredited. In 2019 I paid for my degree to be assessed and they replied telling me I needed to do 7 top up modules. I appealed with extra evidence and they accepted 5 of them, so now I only have to do 2. I went travelling/worked part time last year and then managed to get a band 2 Biomedical Assistant position at a blood sciences lab in March of this year (after applying for around 60 jobs). I have been working at my hospital since then and already have been offered an interview for a Band 3 position in the same trust (although I actually wasn't able to attend but it just proves how much help having your foot in the door can be as previously I was always turned down for Band 3 roles). I am applying to do my 2 top up modules at Aston university this September to complete by distance learning. Theoretically I should only have to attend the uni twice, once for an induction day and once for both exams in January. After this I will be accredited and hope to apply for Band 3 or trainee roles. The modules are going to cost me £1100 which is a lot but I see it as an investment in my career :smile:

You'll have been turned down for Band 3 roles as anything above Band 2 requires NHS experience, which you now have 🙂
Original post by RegisteredBMS
You'll have been turned down for Band 3 roles as anything above Band 2 requires NHS experience, which you now have 🙂

Yes. I understand why now aswell, because having a Band 2 role gives such a good insight into all parts of the laboratory
Hi, what level of top up modules are you guys doing/ done? Most of the modules offered are at postgrad level but under the HCPC registration FAQs on the IBMS website it says: "An IBMS accredited postgraduate degree does not count towards the academic requirements for HCPC registration, but does meet the requirements for registration with the Science Council as a Chartered Scientist (CSci)."

I was going to do a MSc to cover all the top modules I need but now I'm panicking at the idea that I might have to do an entire undergrad instead.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7

Hey, how did you appeal your assessment, as in what evidence you had to provide? Was it because they wanted you to do modules you've already done?
Original post by Junaki
Hey, how did you appeal your assessment, as in what evidence you had to provide? Was it because they wanted you to do modules you've already done?

Yes, I had already done a version of each of the modules they wanted me to re-do. I basically made a massive word document which listed a load of evidence against the specific criteria of each module. For the evidence I used screenshots of lecture material I had already covered, essays I had written as coursework for previous modules and I highlighted the learning objectives of previous modules to show that I had covered those bits too. It took me a whole day to compile the word doc but it has saved me nearly £3000 and probably having to do a whole MSc.
Reply 9
Yes, I had already done a version of each of the modules they wanted me to re-do. I basically made a massive word document which listed a load of evidence against the specific criteria of each module. For the evidence I used screenshots of lecture material I had already covered, essays I had written as coursework for previous modules and I highlighted the learning objectives of previous modules to show that I had covered those bits too. It took me a whole day to compile the word doc but it has saved me nearly £3000 and probably having to do a whole MSc.

Thank you so much for replying! I'm currently doing a Biomed degree, but I'm having to transfer to a non-accredited uni from my current accredited one because my parents want me closer to home. I want to make sure I have enough information on all the outcomes before I finalise a decision. Thanks again!
Original post by Junaki
Thank you so much for replying! I'm currently doing a Biomed degree, but I'm having to transfer to a non-accredited uni from my current accredited one because my parents want me closer to home. I want to make sure I have enough information on all the outcomes before I finalise a decision. Thanks again!

No worries :smile: I wouldn't worry about it too much. When I came out of uni I was so confused about accreditation and I was on such a low because I thought I wouldn't be able to go into this line of work because I wasn't accredited. But now I have seen a different side. Working my way up in the lab is actually really helpful (I am now in a band 3 position) and furthermore, these top up modules won't take that long. From people I have spoken to in the lab they say that everyone who stays in the profession always eventually gets a trainee position, its just a matter of when, not if. If you really want to be a BMS its doable by working your way up. Furthermore, doing an accredited degree doesn't guarantee you a placement year anyway. I have a friend in my lab who is currently doing her portfolio placement year however she is one if three students out of 200 in her year that actually managed to get a placement! They're seriously hard to get so in my opinion I would just say that any uni is fine and you can definitely work your way up after uni, just don't be disappointed that you can only get Band 2/3 positions after uni, as you will quickly be able to work your way up :smile:
Reply 11
No worries :smile: I wouldn't worry about it too much. When I came out of uni I was so confused about accreditation and I was on such a low because I thought I wouldn't be able to go into this line of work because I wasn't accredited. But now I have seen a different side. Working my way up in the lab is actually really helpful (I am now in a band 3 position) and furthermore, these top up modules won't take that long. From people I have spoken to in the lab they say that everyone who stays in the profession always eventually gets a trainee position, its just a matter of when, not if. If you really want to be a BMS its doable by working your way up. Furthermore, doing an accredited degree doesn't guarantee you a placement year anyway. I have a friend in my lab who is currently doing her portfolio placement year however she is one if three students out of 200 in her year that actually managed to get a placement! They're seriously hard to get so in my opinion I would just say that any uni is fine and you can definitely work your way up after uni, just don't be disappointed that you can only get Band 2/3 positions after uni, as you will quickly be able to work your way up :smile:

That was very reassuring, thank you!
Hello, I have recently had a degree assessment and was also told I needed to do 7 top up modules. I'm in the process of appealing but I'm just wondering what type of evidence you provided? I no longer have access to the PowerPoints for lectures, just my personal lecture notes, which I'm assuming isn't acceptable?
Original post by 2944823
Hello, I have recently had a degree assessment and was also told I needed to do 7 top up modules. I'm in the process of appealing but I'm just wondering what type of evidence you provided? I no longer have access to the PowerPoints for lectures, just my personal lecture notes, which I'm assuming isn't acceptable?

Hiya! Sorry this is a late reply. I did use a lot of lecture screenshots but also essays and module descriptors. You could probably put in lecture notes, there’s no harm in trying.
Reply 14
Original post by olibolicoli
Hey I’ve been there, done that and now I’m my 5th year of NHS service. DM me with any questions 👍

Hi, I need some advice pls.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending