The Student Room Group

Biomedical scientist

I would like to work as a biomedical scientist in the future. I am currently studying biomedical sciences bsc at royal holloway, which is not accredited by the IBMS.
What can I do next in order to train and work as a biomedical scientist in the NHS?
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by yoooo123
I would like to work as a biomedical scientist in the future. I am currently studying biomedical sciences bsc at royal holloway, which is not accredited by the IBMS.
What can I do next in order to train and work as a biomedical scientist in the NHS?

I've moved your thread to the careers forum to help you get replies :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
I've moved your thread to the careers forum to help you get replies :smile:

Thank you so much!
Original post by yoooo123

Once you've finished your degree you need to apply to the IBMS to assess your current degree. You need to map your degree to the HCPC standards and then they will tell you which modules you need to complete to convert to an accredited one.

At that point you'll need to find a university that offers top up modules to convert your current degree. It's quite an expensive process and you can't use a student loan for it.

The page is here: Non-accredited degree assessment - Institute of Biomedical Science (ibms.org)

You can do this alongside working, so I'd recommend finding a laboratory assistant job in an IBMS accredited training lab (most NHS labs) so that you can get work experience (and get paid) while doing it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending