The Student Room Group

Biomedical science advice

So I studied human biology and graduated with a 2:1, with the pandemic I decided against a masters because of all the uncertainty surrounding the times. As times progressed I’m now working as a scientist in a covid lab however this job is temporary as you can imagine. I need advice on the biomedical field in general as from what I’m reading it’s impossible to become a biomedical scientist without an actual biomed degree is there any way around this as I’m trying to debate a masters or topping up to biomed.
If you want to be a biomedical scientist, then a masters won’t make up for not having an accredited biomedical science degree. I would imagine what the best option for you to do if being a BMS is what you want, would be to get your degree assessed by the IBMS and go from there. That’s just what I think, others might have different (and possibly better!) advice
Hope this helped at least a little bit
If you want to be a Biomedical Scientist then you will need to either have an IBMS accredited Biomedical Science degree, or have the IBMS assess your current degree and do any top up modules they require (they may reject it entirely. I have never seen them fully accept a degree). Info is here: https://www.ibms.org/registration/degree-assessment-for-hcpc-registration/

In your situation I would be applying for medical laboratory assistant jobs in an NHS lab now and move over. Currently there is funding for top up modules but that will disappear very quickly and is only available to people currently working in NHS labs.
If anybody is interested in a career in Biomedical Sciences, I would highly recommend the Bsc Health Care sciences degree at University of Bradford. It is a very targeted course for those interested in a career in Healthcare Sciences and you have a work placement at an NHS lab which means you get to do your portfolio and that increases your chances of gaining a full time job. This goes across all sections for example Microbiology, Biochemistry, Haematology etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending