The Student Room Group

Economics VS Business (A-level choice)

Which is better to have? I know that Economics is more respected. But can i take a degree like 'business managment' or a 'BA Hons' through A-level economics, or must i have business studies? (i cant choose both)

Any help apprecitated.

Also any combos that good together?

i have so far:

economics
eng comb
chemistry
sociology

but i am willing to change the combo. (not so good at maths (only got B at gcse)

My gcse results: 9A's and 2B's (maths n business) (but i love bussines)
Reply 1
Economics all the way. Business studies is on the blacklist of some unis.
Reply 2
Economics.
Reply 3
business, become the next bill gates.
Reply 4
they teach some econ at business, no business at econ.
Reply 5
Bateman

thats one of the dumbest things ive heard you make no sense n00b
Reply 6
Bateman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow you have some high expectations. :biggrin:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but if i were to be the next bill gates....then shouldnt i be taking ICT computing?
Reply 7
If you say you love business, then take it.
Economics is more respected i guess, but if you're looking to do business management in uni, then business studies seems like the better choice. Also, aslong as at A2 your traditional subjects outweigh the non-traditional i.e. business, there should be no problem about it being a "blacklisted" subject.
Besides, you'll probably have more to write about on your personal statement as to why you want to do business management in uni from taking business studies since its more directly related to the course, rather than having to tie in eco to your choice of course.
You probably won't find a university specifically asking for Business Studies. In fact, you may find, as others have said, a few think less of you for studying it. On the other hand, it may be beneficial to have an a-level in Economics if you apply for an Economics degree. Not a lot of difference otherwise. I'm not convinced it would be any better to have Business if you wish to study it at university.

I was taught GCSE Business by a teacher who had Economics for his degree. He also taught a-levels in both Business and Economics, and I signed up for both. I found what I enjoyed at GCSE was covered by Economics, whereas the Business a-level turned out to be quite dull. I don't think I really learnt anything during the Business a-level whilst Economics changed my perception of the world. But then again, I am now studying it at university so I'm going to say that aren't I? :wink:
Bateman

Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard without graduating.
Reply 10
Remind me to rep you in a month, I tried yesterday but I've already done it recently. :smile:
Reply 11
The fact that he got into harvard is an achievement in itself.
Reply 12
fag
In 1973 the Harvard computer systems wouldn't have been hackable to anyone outside, and would almost certainly have been running only batch data processing systems under the control of an operator at all times anyway.
Reply 14
or the fact that his uncle was the admissions tutor at harvard..:rolleyes:
Reply 15
okay
Reply 16
hmmm....thanks for turning my thread into a 'bill gates' social networking club.

Although im not arguing.....i wouldnt be writing this thread on the computer without the help of his brain.

:wink:
Reply 17
Economics FTW!

Latest